Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → will not read Wilbur Smith
will not read Wilbur Smith
2013-02-28, 12:18 PM #1
u know Wilbur Smith, right? pretty popular / famous writer who did a lot of historical ficiton about Egypt and such. Well he has a thriler called THOSE IN PERIL his latest book, set in modern times.

i only read half a book of his, about a cunning eunuch in Egypt some 1000s yrs BC. was OK but started to drag on, so didnt finish even.

anyway

i opened THOSE IN PERIL in bookstore at random page.

it was a half-page scene of a girl (young woman maybe) being raped by 10 men. in much detail.

have to be honest i did feel some sexual stimulation but reading it left me feeling angry and disgusted. more disgusted even because it's only fiction, even those these things do and can happen. however that might be, and however necessary it was for the plot and reader reaction to the events in the book (judging by cover blurb they basically send like specs ops team style dudes to save the girl after watching the tape of this rape), i feel like i never want to read anything by this author again.

am bit conflicted about it a bit (as in, maybe its a great book and all), and author DID illicit a strong reaction from me via his words, but possibly this is not the kind of reaction i want to experience / see or read about in such vivid detail.

sorry for bad grammar + syntax, tiring day.

-YT, w/ his sensibilities offended
幻術
2013-02-28, 12:21 PM #2
so i bought SONG OF ICE & FIRE book 1 with a 1,000 HUF (bit less than $5) discount after randomly testing a mega-**** app that a pretty girl lured me to test. their bookstore app was mega-**** and they know ****all about testing apps but hey $5 off a book!
幻術
2013-02-28, 12:26 PM #3
Originally posted by Wikipedia's article on Wilbur Smith:
After qualifying as an accountant- -

I always knew there was something going on inside them accountant-brainframes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-02-28, 12:57 PM #4
I like Wilbur Smith.

Wild Wild West was fantastic.
nope.
2013-02-28, 6:09 PM #5
Will Smith's name is Willard​. But I had to look it up.
幻術
2013-02-28, 7:48 PM #6
You'll hate A Game of Thrones. It also has a cunning eunuch.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-02-28, 7:52 PM #7
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I like Wilbur Smith.

Wild Wild West was fantastic.

brilliant post

bravo sir

50 bonus points
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-03-01, 6:38 AM #8
You sick perv getting turned on by child rape
2013-03-02, 2:43 PM #9
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
You sick perv getting turned on by child rape

I don't think the character was underage, but, like a preacher could have said, "Everyone is somebody's child, my child."
幻術
2013-03-03, 12:34 AM #10
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
You'll hate A Game of Thrones. It also has a cunning eunuch.

You, sir, are responsible for the first giggle of my day.
? :)
2013-03-03, 4:07 PM #11
will not read this thread
>>untie shoes
2013-03-03, 4:09 PM #12
but then you'll never know if it delivers
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-03-03, 4:38 PM #13
>>untie shoes
2013-03-03, 6:58 PM #14
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IidU7x_JXhs