Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Interesting facts that you recently found out
Interesting facts that you recently found out
2013-03-08, 2:21 AM #1
Just to see if we can make more discussion here, lets post about random things that we have found out.

I recently (as in, last hour or so) found out that it would be cheaper for me to fly to Beijing from Sydney, take a trip along the trans-Siberian railway, and fly back to Sydney from Moscow, and I will still have spent less money than taking the India Pacific railway from Sydney to Perth with a sleeper bunk. (sure I would only have a seat too on the TSR, but I would see more varied terrain, and have stuff to do on multiple days)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2013-03-08, 2:35 AM #2
Remember how Kyle Reese mentions in Terminator 1 that Skynet was built for SAC-NORAD by CyberDyne Systems? Well, I just found out that SAC-NORAD is a real thing! (SAC for Strategic Air Command, an inactive part of the US Air Force, NORAD for North American Aerospace Defence Command, a joint US-Canadian organization.)
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-03-08, 2:42 AM #3
I found out that I hate game editing and I officially authorize anyone to shoot me if I take up a game editing related project* after I've released Deus Ex: Nihilum.

* = sans updates for DXN
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-08, 3:05 AM #4
I only recently discovered that The Beatles spelled their name that way because it's a musical pun, not just because they wanted a funky spelling.

/facepalm
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-03-08, 7:26 AM #5
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Remember how Kyle Reese mentions in Terminator 1 that Skynet was built for SAC-NORAD by CyberDyne Systems? Well, I just found out that SAC-NORAD is a real thing! (SAC for Strategic Air Command, an inactive part of the US Air Force, NORAD for North American Aerospace Defence Command, a joint US-Canadian organization.)

I found out not ten minutes ago that there is a real life company named Cyberdyne. Who has developed a suit called HAL 5 that increases the wearer's strength by five times.

Geb, never link Cracked articles on Facebook again. I just lost a good hour reading various cool, useless articles! :argh:
2013-03-08, 8:53 AM #6
I've seen the cyberdyne logo on a sink before. I didn't wash my hands...
2013-03-08, 10:07 AM #7
I found out that low potassium can cause limb paralysis.

-Who knew?
2013-03-08, 10:42 AM #8
I recently discovered that "homogenous" and "homogeneous" are different words.
2013-03-08, 12:30 PM #9
no more FTA.

my thoughts on that:

If you originally joined the military for a college education YOU ARE WRONG.

still, it does suck..hopefully they don't take out EAP, gonna be hitting that up when i get home...
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2013-03-08, 1:26 PM #10
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
Geb, never link Cracked articles on Facebook again. I just lost a good hour reading various cool, useless articles! :argh:

At least there are relatively few pages compared to, say, TV Tropes.

Today I learned about kintsukuroi.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-03-09, 1:31 AM #11
Originally posted by Ni:
I only recently discovered that The Beatles spelled their name that way because it's a musical pun, not just because they wanted a funky spelling.

/facepalm

I did this too.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2013-03-09, 7:17 AM #12
Originally posted by Jarl:
I found out that low potassium can cause limb paralysis.

-Who knew?

It can also cause twitchy/restless limbs if you're low. So if you have that problem sleeping, eat some bananas before bed or something.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-03-09, 9:53 AM #13
Originally posted by Dormouse:
It can also cause twitchy/restless limbs if you're low. So if you have that problem sleeping, eat some bananas before bed or something.

Yup, this I know from some small experience, mostly in my teenage years.
2013-03-09, 7:06 PM #14
i recently found out the oil dipstick on certain model year toyota camrys is bent at the end... i thought the one i was working on had a damaged dipstick until one of the other guys said it was supposed to be that way (turns out it was his mother's car)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-03-11, 12:01 AM #15
Yesterday I found out that if you ask an international student on a date, there is a slight chance they may accept the invitation not knowing what a date it, and may not even have anything similar to dating in their culture, basically making it a glorified hangout.

In other words, highly suggest making sure the people you ask on dates aren't betrothed.
My blawgh.
2013-03-11, 4:28 PM #16
Women are crazy.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2013-03-11, 5:21 PM #17
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
Yesterday I found out that if you ask an international student on a date, there is a slight chance they may accept the invitation not knowing what a date it, and may not even have anything similar to dating in their culture, basically making it a glorified hangout.

In other words, highly suggest making sure the people you ask on dates aren't betrothed.

Later, at a party in India: "...so at the end of the date, I told this guy I was betrothed, and he totally bought it! The look on his face was priceless!"
2013-03-11, 5:57 PM #18
TIL Alberta's government is creating policy which may detrimentally affect both the quality of education and research in Alberta.

Thomas Lukaszuk intends to make all universities standardize programs, which isn't possible because professors are only able to effectively teach higher-level courses within their concentrations. That means the University of Alberta won't be able to make machine learning, games, bioinformatics or robotics a part of their CS curriculum, because other universities won't be able to offer equivalent courses.

He also wants universities to focus on research which they think will be profitable, but almost all of the time profitability is a huge surprise; Google made billions because a couple of grad students were curious about graph search heuristics, not because they wanted to found a company.

This is a serious disaster waiting to happen.
2013-03-11, 10:45 PM #19
it's a bad government
a terrible government

the worst part is people will probably swingvote to the wildrose next time, get rdy for ****!!!!11
2013-03-11, 10:49 PM #20
Originally posted by Tibby:
it's a bad government
a terrible government

the worst part is people will probably swingvote to the wildrose next time, get rdy for ****!!!!11
I'd still vote PC over WRA but that's not saying much.
2013-03-11, 10:51 PM #21
Dear Redford, Smith, and co:

Atlas Shrugged is called fiction for a reason. You best check yo self before you wreck the entire province.

TIA.

- Jon`C
2013-03-12, 12:13 AM #22
I thought she was nice when she started because she apparently put back some education money (the level of attention I pay to local politics is minimal)
and then it all went to **** post-election
2013-03-12, 12:35 AM #23
if you voted pc this is your fault and you should kill you are self.
2013-03-12, 12:38 AM #24
The former mayor of Strathcona County got elected MLA here. 'Former' because a couple of years ago she was ousted in a landslide vote for, among other things, wasting a billion dollars that was raised for infrastructure build-out (whoopsies!) on city beautification and privatization of municipal services.

why did we elect her for provincial office when she was too incompetent and corrupt to serve at the municipal level in any capacity?

because she was the PC candidate.

**** this terrible province.
2013-03-12, 12:43 AM #25
Universities were having a huge amount of difficulty designing budgets because provincial governments would change their funding 500 times a year. So last year the universities begged the province to just for ****'s sake tell them how much they were going to get, even if it was ****ty news.

Pre-election: sure no prob 2% increase across the board to keep up with inflation.

Post-election: durp oh you wrote your budget three months ago? that's cute, here, have a 7.3% cut to your budget. ****in high school grads think you're so much better than us PCs, with yer degrees and jobs 'n ****.
2013-03-12, 12:46 AM #26
oh what, you want to raise tuition because you are literally incapable of providing any services at the level of funding we have set?

lol **** off, you'll take even more students and you'll like it, because our economic diversification-by-fiat program demands highly skilled and ambitious workers.

What? lol, of course not, highly skilled and ambitious workers in fields other than oil love Alberta. They want to stay forever and buy homes and raise families, and they aren't fleeing our incompetently run government at all.

The fact that Alberta wastes millions upon millions every year subsidizing the education of highly skilled STEM workers who all flee the province, screaming, the instant they graduate, is a crude myth and certainly has nothing to do with our clumsy economic stewardship or the fact that Alberta is a horrible, miserable place to live and work full of terrible stupid people. I'll have no more of your scurrilous lies!
2013-03-12, 12:56 AM #27
I love living in the shadow of an oil refinery & always wondering what respiratory problem I'll wake up with because Petrocan's night staff felt like burning off an entire settling tank.

**** yea best place on earth to have kids and start a business
2013-03-12, 1:00 AM #28
lol, testing the air in strathcona county? what are you, some kind of ****in ontarian hippie or something?

breathe deep, that's money you're smelling. better learn to like it because that ****'s never going to run out. not ever. alberta will be flying high on oil for the rest of eternity and it's all thanks to the brave and effective leadership of ralph klein and female, probably not an alcoholic ralph kelin.
2013-03-12, 1:00 AM #29
I recently learned a ****load about the politics of Canada's Texas.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-03-12, 3:46 AM #30
On Sunday morning I learned that Saturday night I got blackout incoherent falling down everywhere drunk and puked everywhere, girlfriend apparently had to take care of me. Oops.
2013-03-12, 1:27 PM #31
Originally posted by Jon`C:
if you voted pc this is your fault and you should kill you are self.

i've voted ndp every time i can
which is twice
2013-03-12, 1:28 PM #32
Benificial parasitic wasps like the flowers of a lovage plant.
2013-03-12, 1:29 PM #33
i can't wait untill the tar sands run out and this place becomes the biggest ghost town in history
2013-03-12, 1:32 PM #34
i've voted ndp every time i can
which is twice

even worse.

but at least the leader of the provincial ndp didn't run with a secret terminal illness, knowing that if he succeeded he would be leaving his country leaderless while his former friends spent months arguing about which of them is the most like him.

it's meeee, I'm the most like jack layton, I'm bald and gaunt and also suffer from a terminal illness and will die shortly after taking office, vote for meeeee

I also have no compunctions about abusing canadian campaign finance laws to pay myself a kingly salary out of elections canada's budget by running parachute candidates and spending the money on my are self instead of on campaigning!

lol, ndp.

i can't wait untill the tar sands run out and this place becomes the biggest ghost town in history
It already is, it's just nobody's noticed yet. 1/4 of properties in MLS are vacant, tar sands are no longer price-competitive and jobs up north are being very quickly replaced with migrant labour. also those companies are going to bail on their enviro deposit because the cost of cleanup will be a lot higher than what they paid, and the provincial government has borrowed out of deposits so there won't even be the remotest amount of cleanup once the oil companies are done.
2013-03-13, 1:37 AM #35
Basically the difference between a teddy bear and a mantis is... everything.
2013-03-15, 5:54 AM #36
I heard recently that sawmills and industrial shops do not permit the use of lighting of a certain frequency (i.e. 60 Hz) that makes the spinning saw blades or operating band saws "look still."

That would be a strange issue.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-03-15, 7:20 AM #37
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I heard recently that sawmills and industrial shops do not permit the use of lighting of a certain frequency (i.e. 60 Hz) that makes the spinning saw blades or operating band saws "look still."

That would be a strange issue.

The stroboscopic effect
2013-03-15, 7:33 AM #38
Due to the word 'effect', that reminds me of the Lombard effect and how my conscious attempts to not raise my voice as a reaction to louder noises have always failed. UNCANNYWEIRD
2013-03-15, 7:57 AM #39
Originally posted by Darth:

Yeah I remember back from engineering classes. It it be weird to see.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-03-20, 6:59 PM #40
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Alberta is a horrible, miserable place to live and work full of terrible stupid people.

All places are like that. It's because there are people living in them
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!