Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Symantec and O2 deem anti-feminism as 'hate'
Symantec and O2 deem anti-feminism as 'hate'
2013-03-14, 12:59 PM #1
2013-03-14, 1:26 PM #2
Oh good God, Massassi.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-14, 2:50 PM #3
幻術
2013-03-14, 2:57 PM #4
I need my white privilege to overcome my white guilt.
2013-03-14, 6:55 PM #5
If a site is called "The Rights of Man" you can almost be sure it's a complete crock of ****.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-03-14, 7:03 PM #6
EMON THE WAR ON MEN

THE PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA
2013-03-14, 7:05 PM #7
2013-03-14, 7:11 PM #8
Originally posted by Reid:
Whether it's a crock of **** is irrelevant.

No?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-03-14, 7:24 PM #9
2013-03-14, 7:33 PM #10
This is a fantastic example of utterly moronic ignorance based hate.
>>untie shoes
2013-03-14, 7:43 PM #11
2013-03-14, 7:55 PM #12
Really?
2013-03-14, 8:11 PM #13
Did you really think that, just because you successfully tested the waters with a protest where a bunch of folks outed themselves as incredibly sexist against men, that we'd warmly receive your comparison of a voluntary reminder to discuss inequity with a yellow badge from the holocaust?
2013-03-14, 8:16 PM #14
2013-03-14, 8:36 PM #15
Many of the sites aren't promoting violence, or hate, or subjugation. Banning them for simply being anti-feminist is absurd; just because you aren't a feminist doesn't mean you oppose equal rights for women.

Since I'm not familiar with the complete content of 48 different men's rights blogs (and Christ, how embarrassing would it be to be the guy that is?), and the only source I have on their content is one of those blogs, I'd say whether that site is a crock of **** is pretty important.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-03-14, 8:44 PM #16
2013-03-14, 9:10 PM #17
holy hell
get out
just
get out
2013-03-14, 10:14 PM #18
Since feminism is about gender equality then... yes... anti-feminist would pretty much be anti-women.
2013-03-14, 10:19 PM #19
2013-03-14, 10:43 PM #20
What if I told you that not all parts of feminism are about gender equality?

What if I told you that those parts that aren't, aren't really feminists?
2013-03-14, 10:54 PM #21
2013-03-14, 10:59 PM #22
Why does that need a "Men's Rights" group to fight? It'd make far more sense to take them on as a whole population, as what they are (ignorant) and let them get ignored to death. There's hardly enough of them to make any difference. It's not like it's some obscure thing. No one needs to "figure" anything out.
2013-03-14, 11:22 PM #23
2013-03-14, 11:23 PM #24
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Why does that need a "Men's Rights" group to fight?
So they can be sexist and feel proud of it, like the good old days.
2013-03-14, 11:30 PM #25
There's a lot of social pressure to blindly accept feminism because if you're not a feminist, well then you're sexist.
Feminism is literally the belief that men and women are equal. The fact that the modern use of the term has been stolen by gender theorists does not change that fact.

And yes, if you actually self-identify as a mens' rights activist, you probably are sexist. Sry.

Like the top comment on /r/mensrights. Whining because Reuters names accused rapists, but not rape victims? Yeah, uh huh, that's totally consistent with a philosophical belief in gender equality, standing up for the rights of gang rapists who were identified from video and demanding the name of an underaged rape victim so they can really knuckle down and do some honest and god-fearin' slut shaming.
2013-03-14, 11:31 PM #26
2013-03-15, 1:07 AM #27
I am all in for equality, the problem is, as has been pointed out, that feminism has become a dirty word. Extremists hide behind the badge of feminism and shout that all men are horrible evil things that should not be let out of their caves.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-15, 2:40 AM #28
Also, feminism is NOT literally that belief. The belief you're referring to is egalitarianism. Feminism focuses on the struggles of women.

Feminism focuses on the struggles of women in relation to equality to men. The primary focus of feminism is women. The primary focus of egalitarianism is everyone. In the grand scheme of things, the semantics are of secondary importance. It reminds me of the arguments about ethnocentrism vs. racism. Discrimination exists, regardless of what you call it.
? :)
2013-03-15, 3:02 AM #29
I don't have a lot of time, so I decided to randomly click one of the banned websites & to scroll their front page. This is what I found in less than 30 seconds.

Quote:
What is to be Done About Female Supremacism?

Feminism, as we know, means the same thing as female supremacism: these terms are interchangeable in a way that might as well be algebraic. And female supremacism may be defined as the idea that female supremacy ought to be instituted in practice. However, I would warn one and all that any effort to establish female supremacy as a living reality will eventually backfire -- not only upon feminism and feminists, but upon women generally. And the consequences are bound to be ugly: "girl power" will not be as fun for girls as some might wish to believe. Instead, it will give rise to a stressful, mean-spirited and dangerously unfriendly world -- a ratty world, a loveless world, a world of moral desolation as far as the eye can see.

And many women, whom I will term "women of conscience", are painfully aware that this is what the future holds unless steps are taken, and right soon, to turn things around. It is to such women in particular that I address the momentously important question: "What do you mean to do about it?"
Essentially, the author is redefining the word "feminism" & then argues against his redefinition.

Reid: If you're merely trying to start a discussion about the first amendment--say so, but let's not argue semantics--it'll bore us all to death.
2013-03-15, 3:48 AM #30
2013-03-15, 4:31 AM #31
I managed to find a "mainstream" news source that's covering this story.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/11/mens_rights_site_blacklist/

I would have to know a bit more about how & why the sites were blocked before developing an opinion on the subject.

Quote:
We contacted Symantec on Wednesday to find out what was going on but by Monday afternoon the best a spokesperson could offer was an uninformative holding statement rather than any clear idea of whether the apparent blacklisting was deliberate, mistaken or accidental.

[INDENT]"We're investigating the situation and have no information to provide."[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
2013-03-15, 4:42 AM #32
'equality' among fundamentally unequal genders is a crock anyway. I don't know why anyone would aim for that goal. By all means make sure everyone is treated the same under the law where applicable. Not what I'm talking about.

Here's a fun thing to try. Claim that men are disadvantaged because they comprise an egregiously skewed proportion of the incarcerated. When women point out that it's because men are inherently more violent, call them sexist. That's the logic they use; why not?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2013-03-15, 5:31 AM #33
Originally posted by Freelancer:
'equality' among fundamentally unequal genders is a crock anyway. I don't know why anyone would aim for that goal. By all means make sure everyone is treated the same under the law where applicable. Not what I'm talking about.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed;

I can't think of many goals that are more worth striving for than equality--though I'm open to suggestions. It's literally one of our founding principles. It seems to me that the very purpose of so many of the organizations that are fighting against discrimination are doing just that (attempting to "make sure everyone is treated the same under the law"). I'm curious to read which areas you don't think are applicable.
2013-03-15, 7:09 AM #34
Hey guys it's like that time we invented reverse racism.
>>untie shoes
2013-03-15, 7:23 AM #35
2013-03-15, 7:31 AM #36
Also, feminism is NOT literally that belief. The belief you're referring to is egalitarianism. Feminism focuses on the struggles of women.

...who have historically, and in many ways still are, considered lesser than men. Focusing on the struggles of women means bringing women to the same level as men.

No one disagrees that the term is diluted. But the sex-hating, anti-men that want to step on your nuts in high heels is an extremely small group of bitter, sad people that occasionally manage to grab a microphone and be obnxious. They are not out there in droves and there is not an active, productive movement that infringes on the rights of men. Can you even name a misandrist feminist without looking one up? Where are these supposed men haters? I know they exist, but I don't think you do. It's an exaggerated sexist male fantasy, of which virtually all men's rights troglodytes have completely bought into. YES, there are gender inequalities that do not favor men, but by and large men are not impeded in their lives due to such inequalities, whereas women face them on many levels every day of their lives.
2013-03-15, 7:38 AM #37
Men's rights is roughly analogous to "white pride." The "black pride" movement was born out of protest that the notion of being black was lesser and shameful, so claiming pride to simply be black is a way to fight that notion. White people have never had that inequality, making "white pride" completely invalid. While it is at least true that there are some areas men are untreated fairly in (divorce cases, the notion that any dad alone with his kid is a pedophile, for example), the majority of men's rights is looking for the smallest, most insignificant problems and blowing them up to be some egregious outrage, while ignoring the far worse things that happen to women. While not focusing on fundamental problems that lead to gender inequality and using nonsense, unbacked arguments like "men and women are fundamentally unequal anyway" as a way to fuel further sexism.

It's like saying "I walked into a Foot Locker, bought some Nikes and got weird looks from black people!! Whites have it so bad!!"
2013-03-15, 7:39 AM #38
2013-03-15, 8:00 AM #39
I could name two people I know that fit the extremist bill... then again I also know two males that are incredibly sexist as well...
True equality is never actually going to happen, there will always be bias and unfairness. Don't get me wrong though, equality is still something we should strive for. A perfect world will never exist but a near-perfect world doesn't have to be crapped on.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-15, 8:07 AM #40
Originally posted by Emon:
While not focusing on fundamental problems that lead to gender inequality and using nonsense, unbacked arguments like "men and women are fundamentally unequal anyway" as a way to fuel further sexism.

Win.

It's also at times like these when I feel a bit jolly over rankings like this.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!