Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Affordable iPad? (and other myths)
Affordable iPad? (and other myths)
2013-03-17, 3:48 PM #1
So I'm wanting to get an iPad (let the Apple hate begin!). I'm okay with even an original 1st generation iPad, as long as it's affordable. Trouble is, most "cheap" ipad deals you'll fine are not quite... reputable. There are some sold occasionally on Craig's List, but I really have to wonder about their legitimacy. Anyhow, I'm just wanting to know if anyone knows of a reputable place/site where one could get an iPad for $200 or less. Assuming such a place exists and is not in fact a myth. Thanks! (Also, stupid IE 10, why won't you let me press Enter!)
2013-03-17, 4:07 PM #2
If you want a tablet for 200 dollars you are pretty much stuck with the Kindle Fire HD.
>>untie shoes
2013-03-17, 4:08 PM #3
Is there a reason you want an iPad specifically? Buying a first gen iPad is basically like throwing away $200, because it's way too out of date to be terribly useful.

Edit: he wants one for iOS-specific games.

Sorry, you're screwed if you're looking at anything near $200. Don't get an iPad 1, because you will be throwing that money away. Anything that works now probably won't be working by the end of the year.
2013-03-17, 4:49 PM #4
iPad mini?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-03-17, 5:05 PM #5
Gotta go with CM on this one. If you want the pad for games you're going to need a newer model, otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of games, and have to go trawling through the istore for games that haven't been updated in years
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-17, 5:19 PM #6
Originally posted by Antony:
If you want a tablet for 200 dollars you are pretty much stuck with the Kindle Fire HD.

Hmm? The Nexus 7 is $199 and came 2 months earlier. By saying "stuck" I guess you are referring to Android in general.
2013-03-19, 8:36 AM #7
I have an Ipad 1.

You can use it as a somewhat decent PDF reader (what I do for textooks) and cruise the internet (assuming you aren't watching HD videos).

I still take it around with me, but mostly for documentation purposes (PDF reader mentioned above).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-03-20, 12:03 PM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Is there a reason you want an iPad specifically? Buying a first gen iPad is basically like throwing away $200, because it's way too out of date to be terribly useful.

You're telling me a device that was $600 and only 3 years old, is too old and out of date, and they aren't supporting it? **** Apple.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2013-03-20, 2:23 PM #9
Yes, Zan, they're not even updating iOS on it anymore. It's stuck on iOS 5.1 forever.
2013-03-20, 4:18 PM #10
It was pretty clear even when it was coming out that it was an underpowered toy for rich people to adopt early.

(And by "rich" I mean people with more money than myself.)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-03-20, 4:20 PM #11
Originally posted by zanardi:
You're telling me a device that was $600 and only 3 years old, is too old and out of date, and they aren't supporting it? **** Apple.

You can direct that hate at Android devices too. Apple is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better at operating system upgrades/support (whether those updates are big upgrades, that is a different question) than Android is. The life cycle of Android OS's have been absolutely laughable up until now.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2013-03-20, 4:45 PM #12
Unless you root. My android device is ancient by most standards and I'm still running Jellybean on it.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2013-03-20, 6:03 PM #13
Originally posted by mscbuck:
You can direct that hate at Android devices too. Apple is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better at operating system upgrades/support (whether those updates are big upgrades, that is a different question) than Android is. The life cycle of Android OS's have been absolutely laughable up until now.

That depends on the carrier. Vanilla Android updates from Google are very timely and carrier agnostic. It's carriers that choose to make dumb choices. Or Samsung and LG that choose to EOL older phones so you buy a Galaxy S-**** III or whatever.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-03-21, 8:14 AM #14
Originally posted by JediKirby:
(And by "rich" I mean people with more money than myself.)

AKA People who can't live within their means
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2013-03-21, 8:39 AM #15
Don't buy an iPad 1 (not that it wasn't great upon release). I'm about to sell mine for around 250€/$210 as well as 2 iPhone 4's & there's plenty of dumb people that are willing to buy all of them (don't be one of them).
? :)
2013-03-21, 9:30 AM #16
Originally posted by Mentat:
Don't buy an iPad 1 (not that it wasn't great upon release). I'm about to sell mine for around 250€/$210 as well as 2 iPhone 4's & there's plenty of dumb people that are willing to buy all of them (don't be one of them).

You gotta love the loyalty, Mentat could've taken this opportunity to send a message about his ipad being for sale, but he doesn't want better for a fellow massassian.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!