Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Reasons for visiting the Massassi Temple forums
Reasons for visiting the Massassi Temple forums
2013-03-17, 10:38 PM #1
In short, why did you first visit the Massassi Temple forums, why did you continue to visit the forums, and why do you visit the forums now?

For me, as I imagine is the case for a lot of older members, I joined the forums because I had an interest in Jedi Knight, both in seeing everything people had to say and make about it as well as harboring hopes of making my own level or what-have-you. To date, I never did learn enough of the technical know-how of level-editing to successfully even make, well, a room. I had a similar experience with editing HL1 I believe. Making a level of some sort of still something I'd like to do one day.

Shortly after joining, what became the original Never-ending Story Thread and Saga of the 3rd War started up, and I got hooked into writing for interactive stories. Since then, I visited the forums primarily to write on the Interactive Story Board, though I continued to hold interest in the JK community and the growing non-JK related discussions. I've gotten caught up in futile arguments when we once had a Religion Discussion board, talked about random current events I wouldn't have otherwise given much thought towards, and likely many other things that are escaping my memory right now. I'm also a little proud to have gathered the community at times later on to play forum games that I made.

These days, as it has been for quite a whole, I probably visit the forums more out of habit than anything else. Of course, I still visit primarily for the ISB, though it's remained primarily NeS-dominated for probably a decade now. I still enjoy seeing the occasional screenshot of something JK-related posted in the showcase, and I still enjoy reading thoughts on current events and the like even if they've become a bit predictable. I've tried sometimes to find other online communities to join, and none ever really kept me wanting to come back the way Massassi does. I have no good explanation for it either.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-03-17, 11:35 PM #2
My story is a little unusual.
It starts with me being really into SNES and Genesis roms, I was a member of plasticman's forum (I think that was the name).
A while after the site had all but closed I realized there was an irc section, and so for the very first time I installed mIRC and found out just how this whole irc thing worked.
Then one day I was a bit bored, there wasn't many people talking in plasticman's room, and I just started going into random rooms, one of them had a massassian that directed me to #massassi. After a few years (yeah, years) in the irc room I finally got around to joining the forums.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-17, 11:35 PM #3
I came here (did not register) to download BFP2, GaS, etc.

Now it's just procrastination and a substitute for human interaction.

But as a teenager I had to come here because I thought JK was real.
2013-03-18, 1:12 AM #4
I came here for the chuggas, but stayed for the jigga-jaggas.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-18, 3:24 AM #5
I discovered the website in late 1998 or early 1999--it was hosted at JediNights.com & the forums were a sub-section of theirs (correct me if I'm wrong--it was all a very long time ago). I may have lurked those forums but I don't recall signing up at that time. I think that my first post probably came in mid to late 1999 or so (we may have moved away from JediNights by the--though I could be mistaken) & likely involved a JKDF2 editing question. I was making my way through the editing tutorials at the time & likely needed some further information. I honestly didn't care much for the forums at the time--I was more interested in the site's content (downloading maps, mods & reading tutorials). I think that I began posting more regularly once I had released a map or two & felt that I had something to contribute as far as helping editors. I pretty much stuck to that particular subject until I made the mistake of wandering on to the religious forum where I made a complete fool of myself as a Christian Conservative fighting the good fight against Darwin's minions. I remember thinking that everyone was being unreasonable & I was essentially unknowingly arguing from ignorance but I was just curious enough to accept someone's challenge of reading Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker. I remember thinking, what the hell--this'll just make me more informed about their argument in order to more easily dismiss it. It turned out that I was wrong & reading that book flipped a switch in my mind that I wasn't aware of & my life has changed drastically since then. I can literally recall the power of the arguments (things that growing up in a religious cult simply didn't expose me to) within said book changing me first in to a deist (when I realized that there really was no evidence that he'd played a role in anything since creation) & later in to an atheist (when I realized that everything could (& has as is the case with evolution) work without a deity). I remember lying in bed as I finished the hardback version of that book with the closing thump that has become a tradition for me--I took one last look at the dust cover, placed it on my night stand, decided to come out as an atheist to my fundamentalist family & Christian Conservative girlfriend the next day & I fell asleep with a smile on my face & I don't think that I'd ever slept so good in my life. I don't get involved at Massassi the way that others do (e.g. chatting on IRC or meeting people IRL) but I'm a relatively introverted person & while I don't have any sort of close relationships with anyone here, I do value the things that I've learned here over the years. I hope this makes sense--I'm a bit sick & medicated at the moment so this has been quite the task just typing this out.
? :)
2013-03-18, 4:05 AM #6
Came originally for the mods, after a long while finally wandered onto the forums.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-03-18, 4:05 AM #7
In July of 2000, my brother and I wanted to find cheat codes for single-player JK. I hopped online, and searched via Alta Vista - am I the only one who remembers that? - and TACC popped up. I then discovered the existence of mods, and kept poking about there for a while. Shortly, I discovered the TACC ISB, including now-lost gems like A New Story which had me laughing like a maniac, and wrote a bit here and there.

I was new to collaborative writing, and thus my new appetite couldn't be sated just with the TACC ISB, so when I discovered TACC's sister site, I decided to check out their ISB. Discovered Shadows of Darkness, which I read in its entirety before egging on the writers to post the finale, then went back and read Saga of the 3rd War. Eventually, I joined NeS, mostly due to Geb's pleading suggestions.

I came back, as Al Ciao, in 2006 for NeS. :)

I stay for the jigga-jaggas, of course. :ninja:
2013-03-18, 4:30 AM #8
Came for:

I came for the Cog forum, to steal your new cog ideas and convert them to hacks. I needed to see what new discoveries people were making beyond the information available in the JKSPECS and to see how modders were applying cog functions in new and interesting ways. In fairness I often contributed to thread discussions and helped level/mod authors with their cog scripts under various pseudonyms.

Stayed for:

Years later I started poking around because this is one of the few places left the name EAH_Triscuit would get any instant recognition. Oh and sometimes you guys can be amusing.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-03-18, 7:10 AM #9
Originally posted by Gebohq:
In short, why did you first visit the Massassi Temple forums, why did you continue to visit the forums, and why do you visit the forums now?

I was a big fan of JK, and downloaded a great amount of levels from here. Even made one myself (http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/2177.shtml) 11 years ago* but it was, similarly to Geb's, just a few rooms with a working elevator and a door. Stayed for the interesting discussions, staying here for the same. On more than one occasion I've learnt new things in which I only had a passing interest in, which is always cool. And sometimes people comment on the fiction I post, which is also a plus.

EDIT: HOLY ****!
幻術
2013-03-18, 7:31 AM #10
Yeah, first levels are nice.

Well, technically it is the first level I ever released!
2013-03-18, 10:12 AM #11
Mine is greener.
幻術
2013-03-18, 10:28 AM #12
Came for JK and #massassi. Stuck around because I made a couple of friends who put up with my whiny 12 year old persona. Still check back occasionally because I like a lot of the members and it's more personable/slower than SA to me, and I like that occasionally. I know what to expect and everyone's personalities.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-03-18, 10:42 AM #13
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I know what to expect

[http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/12/white-kiwi.jpg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg]
幻術
2013-03-18, 11:51 AM #14
it was 1998, massassi was hosted on jedinights, the forums were on wwwboard iirc, i even remember the switch to ubb and not liking it at first (nearly everything else was on something similar to wwwboard and i had gotten used to that style of message board... the style used by ubb is clearly better but it took a minute to adjust to the newness at the time), i was mostly interested in editing games i had JK being one of them

i'm still here mainly because this place never truly got boring... to think i was still in high school and on aol when i first came here... i barely talk to people i went to high school with but i'm still here with you jokers
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-03-18, 1:43 PM #15
This thread does not deliver.
>>untie shoes
2013-03-18, 2:48 PM #16
I think I found Massassi in late 1999/early 2000. Like most other people, I found it because I was searching for add-on levels for Jedi Knight. Soon, I had JED installed and was trying to make levels of my own. I didn't end up registering for the forums right away, it was about a year before I finally made a forum account.
2013-03-18, 3:11 PM #17
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Came for:

I came for the Cog forum, to steal your new cog ideas and convert them to hacks. I needed to see what new discoveries people were making beyond the information available in the JKSPECS and to see how modders were applying cog functions in new and interesting ways. In fairness I often contributed to thread discussions and helped level/mod authors with their cog scripts under various pseudonyms.

Stayed for:

Years later I started poking around because this is one of the few places left the name EAH_Triscuit would get any instant recognition. Oh and sometimes you guys can be amusing.

Me and my buddies used to wreak havoc on the zone with one of your build hacks. I don't remember where I got it. I remember the huge ascii "TRISCUIT" logo in the cog file. I forget what it was called....

I'd start with cloning one of the walkplayers, and placing it in a corner somewhere (it would just sit there and idle animate). Then I'd play for awhile....then do one or two more. If they were newbs they'd freak out or get confused or try and shoot it, that was hilarious.

Then I'd go crazy and start blocking off rooms or cloning doors around all the spawn points. Then I'd get kicked. Then I'd change my name to IIIlllIIIllIlllIII|||lllIII||| so they couldn't kick me and come back in.

Yup. I was that guy. Sorry everybody... (for what it's worth).

That said, I also played legitimately a lot and started coming here for all the levels and mods that people were using on the zone. Then I used this site to learn how to mod and map.
2013-03-19, 12:24 AM #18
Christ.

I really loathed the times that my dandy MOTS zone game would be rudely uninterrupted by the appearance of 100s or 1000s of Millennium Falcons, followed by a game crash.
2013-03-19, 2:07 AM #19
If I ever played JK/MotS multiplayer, for most of the time it was on LAN (and MotS MP at that).

I do have a screenshot of one of the very few times I played JK on Zone, tho'

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/suck.jpg]

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot-jchin.png]
2013-03-19, 6:28 AM #20
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Christ.

I really loathed the times that my dandy MOTS zone game would be rudely uninterrupted by the appearance of 100s or 1000s of Millennium Falcons, followed by a game crash.

LOL
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-03-19, 6:45 AM #21
I came here for the cog forums and stayed for the Flirbnics. Then I stole him away to dark corners of the Internets and didn't really need this place anymore but it's just an idle habit. *refreshes recent purchases thread;still doesn't care*
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-03-19, 7:53 AM #22
I came for the cogs.

I have no idea why I stayed.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2013-03-19, 7:55 AM #23
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Then I'd go crazy and start blocking off rooms or cloning doors around all the spawn points. Then I'd get kicked. Then I'd change my name to IIIlllIIIllIlllIII|||lllIII||| so they couldn't kick me and come back in.

God bless the JK Kicker Helper.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2013-03-19, 9:15 AM #24
Came for the levels, back when I was self-proclaimed king of the Zone. Room 1, *****es!

Now I come because, for such a small community, there has been a surprising amount of interesting people and "alumni". sf gold, the almost carrollian-like posts of that one dude who went down the drug spiral, the scamming heroin addict, sarn, that gifted ************ jonc, the list goes on.
2013-03-19, 10:40 AM #25
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Christ.

I remember my first experience with build hacks. I had never heard of them before... suddenly random blocks and crates started appearing in my MotS zone game. I had no clue what was happening, thought it was a glitch or something.
2013-03-19, 10:43 AM #26
I had no idea what JK build hacks were until today. tru' beans.
2013-03-19, 12:10 PM #27
Sometimes the hackers were kinder and refrained from totally screwing up the match. I thought it was neat the time that every sector in the entire Canyon Oasis map had the 'water' flag switched on.
2013-03-19, 12:16 PM #28
I remember playing specific build hacks games. Valley of the Jedi Tower was perfect for it! You could build bridges all the way to the edges and floor of what is a huge level!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-03-19, 1:13 PM #29
:omg: thread derailed. I'll bring it back.

Looks like the reason many of us stay is to reminiscence about the glory days of JK.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-03-19, 2:45 PM #30
I came for JO stuff, now I'm barely here but I stick my head in every so often in hope that NoESC might return.
nope.
2013-03-19, 3:00 PM #31
I can't remember exactly what it is, but I actually originally first came to Massassi a long long time ago for a Serious Sam or Duke Nukem file, or whatever game this site used to be related to because I couldn't get mine to work. Then something like a year later, I had always got my files from my clan, (RGF) but wanted to play in a public game using a level I'd never played with them. Then I used the site for almost another year before realizing there were forums. Then I thought I could be a videogame editor and we all know how well that went. Now I have no ****ing clue, habit?

Edit: Massassi was such a big part of me growing up. My parents, girlfriends, best friends, they all know the words "Massassi" and "Jedi Knight." I learned a lot about myself, how to communicate online, and how to make mistakes here. This place has personal historical meaning for me, so I guess it's kind of hard to let go.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-03-19, 3:26 PM #32
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I can't remember exactly what it is, but I actually originally first came to Massassi a long long time ago for a Serious Sam or Duke Nukem file, or whatever game this site used to be related to because I couldn't get mine to work. Then something like a year later, I had always got my files from my clan, (RGF) but wanted to play in a public game using a level I'd never played with them. Then I used the site for almost another year before realizing there were forums. Then I thought I could be a videogame editor and we all know how well that went. Now I have no ****ing clue, habit?

Edit: Massassi was such a big part of me growing up. My parents, girlfriends, best friends, they all know the words "Massassi" and "Jedi Knight." I learned a lot about myself, how to communicate online, and how to make mistakes here. This place has personal historical meaning for me, so I guess it's kind of hard to let go.

Bring back 3rd person! :P
2013-03-19, 3:55 PM #33
...................... Never.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-03-19, 5:56 PM #34
2013-03-19, 6:25 PM #35
I actually read about Massassi and JK modding in an issue of PC Gamer.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-03-19, 6:49 PM #36
At this point, I visit for the occasional argument and awesome debate.

Hey guys, did you know that ATHEISTS are just as preachy as CATHOLICS, if not MORE SO? How is it YOUR right as an ATHEIST to tell CATHOLICS stuff THEY don't wanna hear? huh huh? :eng101:
DO NOT WANT.
2013-03-19, 9:06 PM #37
Anyway, I guess I originally came to Massassi with the idea of making levels and mods. However I have basically no skills in visual art so level editing is very difficult and tedious for me. I still have ideas for modding games, maybe one day I'll get to them, but I'm pretty sure it's not for me and I'm glad I moved on to other pursuits. Massassi and to a greater extent Star Wars was a big part of my youth, particularly during bad times...I somehow managed to grow into a fully-functional adult in spite of this but every once in a while I like to take a trip down memory lane and fire up JK/MotS (IMO the gameplay still holds up!).

As for why I continue to log in here, it's mainly for the Neverending Story Thread which has been a fun creative outlet for the past 10 years (I think). I also like to check out the showcase threads, but those are few and far between these days. I've also met some nice friends on the forum, so that's positive for sure, and sometimes you guys still make me laugh.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-03-19, 9:08 PM #38
I came to Massassi in January 2000. I was looking for new maps and mods, as I had been playing on the Zone for just a bit. I found the forums shortly after, and I joined under a different username. I stuck around for the community - both forums and IRC, when it came around. I signed up under the username Zecks in October of 2000, so it is going on 13 years since I started using this name. I stuck around for the community I enjoyed. It became almost a habit. These days, I'm not around much, but I still read the forums off and on, and every once in a while I'm in chat, though that is so minimal compared to several years ago. I imagine I will still be checking into Massassi until its death, although it's hard to tell when that will be.
2013-03-19, 9:42 PM #39
Originally posted by Tracer:
I actually read about Massassi and JK modding in an issue of PC Gamer.

I remember that.
2013-03-19, 9:43 PM #40

↑ Up to the top!