Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → tablet recommendations
tablet recommendations
2013-03-25, 11:39 AM #1
I'm looking to get a tablet sometime in June or July. Here are some of the reasons I'm looking to get one:

• Portability: I want to be able to take it around the house and to work easily.
  • Work: I want something for my job, which requires a VPN access. Otherwise, just needs a decent online capability and to be able to run various Microsoft products.
  • PDFs/eBook: I want to be able to start using it for eBooks, PDFs for tabletop handbook rules, that sort of thing.
  • Videos: It'd be nice to be able to view videos, whether as files on the tablet or via Youtube or whatnot.
  • Communication: I'd like to use some IM service on it.

I am NOT looking to play games on it.

I'm currently thinking of going with an ASUS Transformer Infinity with a keyboard docking station. Thoughts?

I'm also willing to look into getting a laptop, though I'd really only want to get one if it's going to have more significant capabilities than a tablet. Such increased capabilities would probably be unnecessary, and I'd think I'd just would use my desktop if I really needed to (I don't need to do advanced 3D rendering while playing Crysis at max settings at the same time on the go).
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-03-25, 1:08 PM #2
Originally posted by Gebohq:
able to run various Microsoft products.

This pretty much limits you to a Windows 8 tablet.
2013-03-25, 2:00 PM #3
Originally posted by Jon`C:
This pretty much limits you to a Windows 8 tablet.

Eh, it's not that crucial - IE or Outlook and/or Lync would be the major ones). I also have my doubts that it'd be compatible with its own stuff (since Microsoft seems to have that reputation), so unless such a tablet would be recommended on its own merits, I'll aim to avoid it.
2013-03-25, 3:53 PM #4
iPad
iPad Mini (If you can't afford the 600)
E: microsoft products, welp your stuck with a ****ty win8 tablet.
Why do you want IE or Outlook on a tablet, safari and the mail app work fine/better.
2013-03-25, 7:59 PM #5
Eh, it's not that crucial - IE or Outlook and/or Lync would be the major ones).
It's all or nothing.

I'll be frank with you. If you're still thinking about running desktop productivity apps on a tablet, or buying a keyboard dock, you're going to be very disappointed with anything you buy. It's just not the way things work with tablets. It's not even an option for the good ones.

Sounds like you'd be a lot happier with a Macbook Air or Thinkpad X-series.
2013-03-26, 2:43 PM #6
I'm skeptical only because I've seen both my roommate (who has the tablet I'm looking into) and people at work have been using tablets for "desktop productivity" as you put it. However, I'll be looking more closely to verify their capabilities and the like.

If I didn't make it clear before, though, using for work is more a "nice to have." I also give more credit to any reply that looks to be more than a short blurb.
2013-03-26, 4:08 PM #7
I'm skeptical only because I've seen both my roommate (who has the tablet I'm looking into) and people at work have been using tablets for
Yes, they could have been using them for work. Either using web applications, or purpose-designed native productivity applications, both typically suffering from a limited feature set to improve touchscreen usability. I'm not disputing that it is possible to do real work on a tablet. What I'm telling you is, every single time, it's an inferior user experience to a traditional laptop or desktop.

The impossible part is running Outlook on anything other than a Surface Pro.

"desktop productivity" as you put it
:carl: "desktop productivity" is a pair of adjectives, not a noun clause. I also didn't invent it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Productivity_software

However, I'll be looking more closely to verify their capabilities and the like.
Good. The only way you can be sure you need a tablet is to try one, ideally by borrowing one from someone you know for a few days (they probably won't miss it very much).

If I didn't make it clear before, though, using for work is more a "nice to have."
Great.

Well, the three use cases for a tablet are showing it off to your friends, looking up the IMDB page for the TV show you're watching, and playing indie games. If that still sounds like something you'd be into, an iPad is the absolute best at all three of those things, so go nuts and buy one.

I also give more credit to any reply that looks to be more than a short blurb.
Dude, this is Massassi, not Reddit. You can't upvote my posts, nobody cares how much "credit" you're giving, and nobody is going to make a 6-page effortpost when we all know you're just going to end up buying your roommate's tablet since your real goal here is probably to keep up with the joneses.
2013-03-26, 5:52 PM #8
Don't do desktop things on a tablet, for gods sakes don't do that.
2013-03-26, 10:57 PM #9
Of course it's inferior. It's something I'm looking to use for short times in bed or wherever else, not as a desktop replacement. I'll just use Webmail, which I found out I can do. It's not a big deal.

Thanks for clarifying what was meant by desktop productivity. I hadn't heard it used before now.

I'm getting a tablet for similar reasons I'm getting a laptop: laziness. The laptops I've used in the past (including Macbooks) seemed both more than I'd want and still too heavy. I've also not cared for any Apple products I've had to use.

I wouldn't have bothered asking if I cared about "keeping up with the joneses" -- I want something to indulge my laziness, which COULD be any number of options, or maybe just suck it up and stick with what I have. I also don't expect or want Massassi to be Reddit. I've seen plenty of constructive feedback from people before and thought I'd give it a shot. I'll look elsewhere for help then.
2013-03-26, 11:12 PM #10
If you guys run Citrix Desktop, you can get Citrix Receiver on iOS/Android stuff. That'd let you run anything you run at work. I have an HP Touchpad kicking around I'd likely sell cheap, if you'd want that...has Android on it now.
woot!
2013-03-27, 5:23 AM #11
Of course it's inferior. It's something I'm looking to use for short times in bed or wherever else, not as a desktop replacement. I'll just use Webmail, which I found out I can do. It's not a big deal.

Thanks for clarifying what was meant by desktop productivity. I hadn't heard it used before now.

I'm getting a tablet for similar reasons I'm getting a laptop: laziness. The laptops I've used in the past (including Macbooks) seemed both more than I'd want and still too heavy. I've also not cared for any Apple products I've had to use.

I wouldn't have bothered asking if I cared about "keeping up with the joneses" -- I want something to indulge my laziness, which COULD be any number of options, or maybe just suck it up and stick with what I have. I also don't expect or want Massassi to be Reddit. I've seen plenty of constructive feedback from people before and thought I'd give it a shot. I'll look elsewhere for help then.

Based on this-
iPad
iPad Mini
2013-03-27, 5:01 PM #12
This may not appeal to you, but last month I got a chromebook for basically similar reasons, and I've been quite happy with it so far. It can do pretty much all of the things you're looking for except run Microsoft software, but I've found the process of going back & forth between Google substitutes & Microsoft relatively painless. You run into small inconveniences here or there, but for the price (and as essentially a portable extension of my desktop) I'm pretty happy with it. What is it, specifically, about tablet-ness that appeals to you?
2013-03-27, 5:06 PM #13
Quote:
It's something I'm looking to use for short times in bed

aw yeah
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-03-27, 5:51 PM #14
unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh
2013-03-28, 4:32 PM #15
Damn, Tracer is onto me! :ninja:

Originally posted by JLee:
If you guys run Citrix Desktop, you can get Citrix Receiver on iOS/Android stuff. That'd let you run anything you run at work. I have an HP Touchpad kicking around I'd likely sell cheap, if you'd want that...has Android on it now.

I was not expecting sale offers! I'd be sure to talk it over with you over IM or the like, though my intent was not to pick up anything until June/July (or sometime close to that).

Vornskr: I'll look into chromebooks as well, thanks!
2013-03-28, 8:07 PM #16
Damn, Tracer is onto me! :ninja:

I was not expecting sale offers! I'd be sure to talk it over with you over IM or the like, though my intent was not to pick up anything until June/July (or sometime close to that).

Vornskr: I'll look into chromebooks as well, thanks!

It's just kicking around here doing nothing most of the time, so shoot me a PM whenever you're ready. I'll probably still have it.
woot!
2013-04-02, 3:32 AM #17
I have a nexus 7. It's rather nice. Also it's about $100 less than an ipad mini. Haven't had a problem reading graphic novels at the default zoom level.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-04-02, 1:25 PM #18
thinkpad x series convertible. thing looks sexy. VP i work with tries desperately to make the surface pro work for him. don't think it's happening since i always see him put away the surface and bust out the t-series at meetings halfway through.

sounds like you aren't serious about getting much done on it though, contrary to your original post. sounds like you want an ipad but are too broke for it so ASUS. real work gets done behind a desk, not on a sofa/bed/coffeehouse with some janky-ass tablet.
2013-04-02, 3:26 PM #19
Originally posted by ragna:
sounds like you want an ipad but are too broke for it so ASUS. real work gets done behind a desk, not on a sofa/bed/coffeehouse with some janky-ass tablet.

Yes, ragna, he's totally too broke to afford a tablet that costs exactly the same as the iPad (even more with the pricey keyboard dock he wants).
2013-04-02, 3:58 PM #20
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yes, ragna, he's totally too broke to afford a tablet that costs exactly the same as the iPad (even more with the pricey keyboard dock he wants).

and so it is. didn't bother to check, my b. the 32gb ipad is 599 but i suppose with the keyboard, it'll be similar. still ****ty tablets.
2013-04-02, 6:04 PM #21
I'll take tablets seriously when the Anrdoid VNC client app can receive right clicks performed by a usb mouse. `Till then it's only an intelligent television with buttons.
2013-04-02, 8:20 PM #22
which is exactly what they need to be and why they have made 800,000 billion trillion dollars
2013-04-02, 8:58 PM #23
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I'll take tablets seriously when the Anrdoid VNC client app can receive right clicks performed by a usb mouse. `Till then it's only an intelligent television with buttons.

I just use touchpad emulation, works pretty damn well really.
2013-04-02, 9:52 PM #24
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:

Televisions don't have buttons? >_>
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-04-03, 3:16 AM #25
Originally posted by Tibby:
which is exactly what they need to be and why they have made 800,000 billion trillion dollars

I thought you were a communist.
2013-04-03, 6:38 AM #26
Ah man, there's a 2nd gen nexus 7 coming out soon. ****ing figures.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!