Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Raven Software releases source code for Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
Raven Software releases source code for Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
2013-04-04, 5:36 AM #1
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/4/4181560/raven-software-releases-source-code-for-jedi-knight-2-jedi-outcast

Quote:
In the wake of Disney's announcement that it is closing game design studio LucasArts, Raven Software has released the single player source code for the two Star Wars titles it developed for LucasArts, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, according to Kotaku.
"Raven is sad to hear about the closing of LucasArts today, we respected them and enjoyed working with them over the years," Raven Software said in a statement to Kotaku Australia. "We wish the best for all the talented people who were let go and hope they find good work in studios in the industry."
"We loved and appreciated the experience of getting to make Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for LucasArts. As a gift to the persistently loyal fanbase for our Jedi games and in memory of LucasArts, we are releasing the source code for both games for people to enjoy and play with."
LucasArts said in a statement provided to Polygon earlier today that it is shifting "LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games." LucasArts told Polygon that game development will be handled by third party developers due to the shift to a licensing model, which shuts LucasArts from developing games internally. LucasArts was bought by Disney when it acquired LucasFilm, Ltd for $4.05 billion in October 2012.
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast is a third-person action game centered around character Kyle Katarn as he reacquaints himself with The Force. It was initially released in 2002 for Windows PC, Mac, GameCube and Xbox.
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was Jedi Outcast's direct sequel and was released in 2003 for Windows PC, Xbox and Mac. The story centers on a Jedi Academy student called Jaden Korr. Users could select Korr's gender and species, and they could choose either a third-person or first-person perspective in the game, except for when wielding a lightsaber, which required a third-person perspective.
For those interested, the source code for Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy are located here and here, respectively.

Perhaps this will add a new life into the JO/JA modding community? And I wonder if JK's will be released
2013-04-04, 7:53 AM #2
IIRC JK's source code is lost forever.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2013-04-04, 12:09 PM #3
Seconded: JK's source is lost forever. There was a project to make a new engine a few years back that seemed to stall out because of reasons (IIRC.)

Still, excited that JKA and JO's source is out!
www.wudan07.com
2013-04-04, 12:50 PM #4
It's only the SP portions, but that's the most interesting part, as MP at least had the usual Q3 extensibility via QuakeC. SP had nothing for modding outside of the scripting system.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-04-04, 12:54 PM #5
I honestly hope that someone will take/waste the time needed to revitalize that engine a bit and hey, maybe even draw new interest into it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-04-04, 1:11 PM #6
Originally posted by Emon:
It's only the SP portions, but that's the most interesting part, as MP at least had the usual Q3 extensibility via QuakeC. SP had nothing for modding outside of the scripting system.

Sure does look like the codemp directory has ... MP like things in it ...

Still, not sure I'll make the attempt to compile this. Sometimes it's a bear to get something like this compiled, let alone make improvements.
www.wudan07.com
2013-04-04, 1:43 PM #7
Originally posted by wudan:
Sure does look like the codemp directory has ... MP like things in it ...

Still, not sure I'll make the attempt to compile this. Sometimes it's a bear to get something like this compiled, let alone make improvements.

Oh. I thought the article said it had multiplayer left out. Nevermind, then.
2013-04-04, 3:25 PM #8
I think I read that somewhere as well. Good to see you again.
www.wudan07.com
2013-04-05, 3:49 AM #9
Nice site, haven't heard of it until now. Thanks for the link(s). Too bad about Lucas Arts, hope Disney licenses to companies that make games for PC as well (even if not exclusively), not just stupidassgoddamnbloody****holetriple****ed Facebook games. Cheerio.
幻術
2013-04-05, 6:30 AM #10
Eh, its like 10 years too late for it to matter but its a nice gesture. When I was editing JA I really wished someone could change things like weapon behaviors and the weird AI for SP.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-04-05, 9:53 AM #11
If there's enough of a community leftover (maybe? see http://www.jkhub.org) it might be worthwhile. id Tech 3 is completely outclassed in terms of technology, but there have been numerous id Tech 3 updates (e.g. ioquake3). I guess the real draw is that modding JO or JA is really the only way to use Star Wars IP in a game without risk of being shut down.
2013-04-05, 10:29 AM #12
This thread delivers.
>>untie shoes
2013-04-05, 11:23 AM #13
Is the MP very different from the single player coding? I always thought that JO/JA's combat in multiplayer felt slightly off compared to singleplayer, like less responsive or something.
2013-04-05, 11:24 AM #14
It is you that is slightly less responsive.
>>untie shoes
2013-04-05, 12:36 PM #15
Originally posted by Antony:

No, he's right. The MP mode was odd.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2013-04-05, 12:48 PM #16
SERVED
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-04-05, 12:50 PM #17
Originally posted by Antony:

Maybe not less responsive, but hit detection always felt odd in mp to me
2013-04-05, 12:53 PM #18
Well, considering Duke Nukem 3D went from this (and this!) to this (and this!) several years after the source code was released, I guess JO/JA will at least have a lot of new graphical potential if anyone's gonna wast- uh, spend all their time revitalizing the engine for such purpose.

(Not to forget Quake 2 Berserker)
2013-04-05, 4:13 PM #19
Yeah wasn't there some group that took the Q3 source code and made it all shiney with fancy water physics? Couldn't stuff like that be done with JO?
nope.
2013-04-05, 10:01 PM #20
I'll wait here until you guys come back with the jedi outcast HD
*sits*
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-04-06, 2:16 AM #21
I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.
2013-04-06, 6:35 AM #22
I've been on facebook too long, I have an almost unbearable compulsion to "like" your post.
Especially since I can imagine that guy saying it to Vader and his victim
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-04-09, 4:46 AM #23
looks like the source code has been taken down....
JediDreams
2013-04-09, 5:48 AM #24
interesting, wonder if someone jumped the gun.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2013-04-09, 7:42 AM #25
I kind of expected that, it seemed really quick.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-04-09, 10:21 AM #26
I wonder if anyone got their hands on it...someone must have.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-04-09, 10:34 AM #27
I'm sure someone did, so they should resurface on the Nets soon.

Then again, I quickly checked out some discussions on the subject and apparently the current consensus is "lol jo/ja is so old we're not gonna bother". Damn whippersnappers.
2013-04-09, 7:04 PM #28
From the top comment at http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1bz8a9/whats_happened_to_the_jedi_academy_source_i/ :

Quote:
I can only guess why this happened, but we have this post by an ex Raven employee, which notes
[INDENT]Edit: Oh, and if you copied the code straight out before last night (as I see in the OpenJK repository) instead of forking, you'll need to remove the bink stuff and feelit libs to avoid legal issues. We had to struggle with Git last night to remove evidence of their existence.
[/INDENT] Basically, they were accidentally illegally redistributing Bink and FeelIt SDKs and some XBox stuff. So it is conceivable that they're now in legal hell.
Or whoever gave the green light for the source release either didn't have any rights to do so or thought better of it.

Page also has mirrors to the source.

↑ Up to the top!