Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dear Massassi (Game Edition)
Dear Massassi (Game Edition)
2013-04-24, 12:08 AM #1
Dear Massassi (Game Edition)

As some of you know, I recently purchased a new notebook for gaming (a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 w/ an Intel Core i7-3630QM, 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz) & 2 x 2GB (SLI) Nvidia GeForce GT 650M's) . Well, after a manufacturing delay (likely due to the popularity of several sales that they've had), my unit has shipped & should arrive shortly. In the meantime, I thought that I might take this opportunity to ask you folks which games you'd recommend. I haven't played many games in the past several years (I got married, had a daughter & changed careers) & haven't had much time to keep up. I have played a few Indie games here or there as well as Portal 1 & 2 (they ran surprisingly well on my iMac) but Half-Life 2 (& games running on its engine) is probably the newest game that I've played (I used to run it on my Pentium 4 box when it first came out). That should give you some idea of what I've missed out on & keep in mind that even back then I was a bit behind & would be open to games that came out in that same period as well. I'm not a wealthy man & prefer to spend my money wisely, so I'm hoping that you folks can recommend the games that have come out since that point in time that you think are worthy of purchasing. Granted, I can just go on Steam & sort by Metascore, which I've begun doing, but there's a lot to sift through & much of it doesn't interest me (e.g. Grand Theft Auto). I'll give you as many conditions that I can think of to rule things out & will add more if the need arises.

I don't typically enjoy realistic military games (e.g. Call of Duty). I would possibly consider such a game if it was highly recommended by others that also don't typically like those types of games. I don't want to play any games that have a monthly fee. I've been there & done that (EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot & World of Warcraft) & don't have the money or time for it. I'm also turned off by the idea of games that allow players to purchase in-game items with real-life money. I haven't traditionally liked single-player role-playing games but I haven't tried one since Morrowind & would be willing to entertain the idea if it's exceptional (e.g. I've heard good things about Skyrim). I haven't even traditionally enjoyed single-player games at all but HL2 & the Portal series have changed my mind about that. However, a game with both exceptional single & multi-player modes would likely score extra points in my mind. I'm open to a wide variety of genres, including first-person shooters, real-time strategy, adventure (I have a gamepad), etc. but the former is certainly my favorite (especially sci-fi shooters). I think that this should narrow it down a bit.

Here's a list of games that I already own. I have a ton of Indie games from the Humble Bundles, so there's no need to recommend those. Most of the modern games that I do have were either purchased because they were on sale & I thought they might be worth playing in the future or they were gifted (mostly from Triscuit—Thanks!).

• Aliens vs. Predator (haven't played yet—awaiting PC)
  • Darksiders 1 & 2 (haven't played yet—awaiting PC)
  • Dota 2 (haven't played yet—awaiting PC)
  • Faster Than Light
  • Half-Life 2 w/ expansions
  • Killing Floor (haven't played yet—awaiting PC)
  • Portal 1 & 2
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed – Sith Edition (haven't played yet—awaiting PC)
? :)
2013-04-24, 1:23 AM #2
I don't know what your new PC will be able to play hardware-wise, so you'll have to check these out on your own.

- Skyrim isn't really an RPG, it's a first-person action/adventure game with lite RPG elements. It's also rad as all get out.
- Borderlands and Borderlands 2, both great games, first-person shooters with lite RPG elements. Good coop.
- Rage or Crysis 1 are worth the spectacle if you can run them. Crysis pre-dates all that EA Origin crap. Not fun, just pretty.
- Just Cause 2. It's like Spider-Man, only if he were a CIA agent/revolutionary-for-hire, and the whole thing were set in Grand Theft Auto.
- Left 4 Dead (1 is better, 2 is okay). Drags a bit if you're over the whole zombie thing, but still lots of coop fun and the usual Valve polish.
- Overlord I/II. Pikmin meets Lord of the Rings. Might be better on Xbox 360, but if you don't have one they're great games.
- The Dawn of War series was really good if you like strategy. If you like strategy but don't like managing economy, the singleplayer campaign in Dawn of War 2 is pure small unit tactics. (Honourable mention to Space Marine if you're a Warhammer 40k fan, lots of fan service there, but really poor balance.)

Pretty much all I can recommend atm. For the last few years indie games have been doing a lot better by me than the AAAs, I'm probably only buying one big budget PC game a year.
2013-04-24, 1:27 AM #3
I'd wailt 'til June 3rd for the PCGamer approved release of Deus Ex: Nihilum.

Oh, and probably get Deus Ex before that (maybe even play through it a couple of times).

And on that note, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is pretty good. If you can run Crysis (which I think is probably the best FPS game of the 2005-2010 era), DX:HR should be fine.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-04-24, 3:37 AM #4
--Fallout 3 & DLCs (probably my favorite "recent" RPG)
--Skyrim (though don't play vanilla, if you install 15+ good mods or so it'll make the experience much more awesome)
--Bulletstorm (IMO a very underrated sci-fi shooter; it's only problem is that the campaign is pretty short)
--The Walking Dead (an episodic adventure game by Telltale Games, worth the $25 for 1st season)
--Bioshock 1 / Bioshock Infinite
--Assassin's Creed 1-3
幻術
2013-04-24, 3:40 AM #5
Overlord was underwhelming but other than that, Joncy is on the ball

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was fun too
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-04-24, 7:39 AM #6
It needs to be emphasized:

BIOSHOCK INFINITE.

Seriously, it's easily game of the year, and the year's not even half over.
2013-04-24, 7:51 AM #7
Human Revolution was FREAKING INCREDIBLE.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-04-24, 8:32 AM #8
-- Mass Effect 1-3 (my second favourite RPG series after Fallout, all are great games IMO, especially if you like sci-fi shooters)
-- Battlefield 3 (I never really liked military style shooters myself either, but BF3 is money well spent, much more so when played with friends)
幻術
2013-04-24, 8:33 AM #9
Originally posted by Alan:

The gameplay reminded me of a JRPG. I couldn't get past 15 minutes of it, and am very happy that I haven't purchased it prior to trying the game out...

I prefer my RPGs more, eh, realistic, I guess (eg., Skyrim, Fallout, etc).
幻術
2013-04-24, 8:41 AM #10
Skyrim is awesome. I've sunk over 100hrs into that. In the same vein but older: Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas

Bioshock Infinite is good but a little lacking in replay value. Maybe some good DLC will fix that. In the same vein but older: Bioshock, Bioshock 2

I agree with Koobie about Bulletstorm, this game was badass and in my mind the spiritual sequel to Duke Nukem 3D. It's what Duke Nukem Forever should have been.

Some others I liked: Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Borderlands 1/2, Dead Island, and L.A. Noire.

And of course it seems silly to mention them since they are old as hell but I still love almost anything 'Source' based. I've got over 1000 hours in TF2, L4D, and L4D2.

If your feeling cheap send me a PM, I might be able to dig up a steam key or two.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-04-25, 9:32 AM #11
starcraft 2 + heart of the swarm
2013-04-25, 9:54 AM #12
Originally posted by Alan:

Mmmm. I love the story about one of the developers, since I know Providence so well.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-04-27, 1:23 PM #13
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2013-04-27, 2:10 PM #14
Bioshock Infinite is hecka fun.
2013-04-27, 11:59 PM #15
I appreciate the recommendations! I've added several (most) of these games to my Steam wishlist & will order them in order of what seems the best in combination with price, etc. Out of the games listed so far, I'm most excited about Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Rage & Skyrim. I'm going to try & play the games in the proper sequence (e.g. Bioshock before Bioshock Infinite).
2013-04-28, 8:47 AM #16
Get Rage during Steam sales. Got it for like $5. Well worth it for that low price.

The thing about Rage is that its not terribly engaging except for the pew pew and the world is rather limited despite being so detailed. I like how they tried to work vehicular combat but the courses and maps are too constrained or weirdly shaped so it ends up being cluttered mess with weapon spam. Not sure about the RPG elements, having regenerating health makes the upgrades to armor and max health seem unnoticeable but maybe not at the highest difficulty.

Ran well on my computer.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-04-28, 10:27 AM #17
While we're on the subject of games--I don't really want to create a new thread, but I'd be interested to know which games you folks are editing these days.
2013-04-28, 5:41 PM #18
New recommendation:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
幻術
2013-04-28, 5:58 PM #19
Originally posted by Koobie:
New recommendation:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Is this even released yet? Doesnt look like the NA Steam version unlocks until May 1st.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-04-29, 6:18 AM #20
[http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/18/188546/2469161-1866292133-blood.jpg]
幻術
2013-04-29, 9:01 AM #21
I'll likely give both Farcry & Crysis a shot as well.
2013-04-29, 11:08 AM #22
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a standalone game for the price of a DLC, just FYI.

And IMO Far Cry 3 > Crysis 2 (never tried 3 because didn't like 2). The original Crysis is pretty good, though.
幻術
2013-05-01, 3:17 AM #23
Also, you should forget these fan fangled Farshock Infinitely Unknown Dragons and play some DUKE NUKEM 3D LIKE IT WAS 1996 IN 2001 IN 2013 EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK ONE ONE ONE
2013-05-01, 4:39 AM #24
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Also, you should forget these fan fangled Farshock Infinitely Unknown Dragons and play some DUKE NUKEM 3D LIKE IT WAS 1996 IN 2001 IN 2013 EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK ONE ONE ONE

Only vaguely related and I didnt try it, but apparently some DN3D modders have been working on something called Duke Nukem Forever 2013 redone in the BUILD engine. http://msdn.duke4.net/index.php
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-01, 7:49 AM #25
Yeah, that's the same mod.
2013-05-01, 10:54 AM #26
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Yeah, that's the same mod.

Oh I missed the fact you even had a link in there. I thought you were advocating playing the original Duke3d. (unmodded).
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-01, 1:54 PM #27
Well, Duke Nukem 3D with the High Resolution Pack is quite delightful (at least to me). Hell, it looks a lot better than JK. But alas.

Man, that Duke3D mod reached #1 on ModDB, 20,000+ pageviews and 2,800+ downloads in less than 24 hours... sort of grim to realize DXN will never be able to achieve anything like that (hell, the combined d/l count for all TODOA releases is only now approaching 3,600+). And for that matter, I don't think anything for JK ever reached anything like that either. Uncanny!
2013-05-02, 12:16 PM #28
Originally posted by Mentat:
I appreciate the recommendations! I've added several (most) of these games to my Steam wishlist & will order them in order of what seems the best in combination with price, etc. Out of the games listed so far, I'm most excited about Bulletstorm, Bioshock, Rage & Skyrim. I'm going to try & play the games in the proper sequence (e.g. Bioshock before Bioshock Infinite).

infinite is stand alone story wise
i never played 1 and 2 through because i hated them, yet i love infinite. it's weird.

↑ Up to the top!