Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Iron Man 3
Iron Man 3
2013-04-29, 11:13 AM #1
It's ok!
nope.
2013-04-29, 11:21 AM #2
Going to see it tomorrow.

I recently discovered that it's based on a Warren Ellis storyline, he's one of my favourite comic book writers (along w/ Garth Ennis), so that hyped me up for it even more. Hope it's gonna be more than OK tbh. We'll see. Detailed report coming tomorrow (maybe)!
幻術
2013-04-29, 2:53 PM #3
Warren Ellis... hmmmmmmmmmm. I just read "Gun Machine" by him and it was incredibly disappointing. I've never read any of his comic work (I suppose it's what he's known for), though... Anyway, I've always been down with the Iron Man films in the past, so I'm not too worried.
2013-04-29, 4:28 PM #4
Originally posted by saberopus:
Warren Ellis... hmmmmmmmmmm. I just read "Gun Machine" by him and it was incredibly disappointing. I've never read any of his comic work (I suppose it's what he's known for), though... Anyway, I've always been down with the Iron Man films in the past, so I'm not too worried.

Damn, I was thinking to get Gun Machine, but now I've second thoughts (I mean I'll still get it, but there are tons of other books on my to-read list).

His comics are pretty rad, though. He is most famous for Transmetropolitan, a story about a Hunter S. Thompson-like political journalist in a dystopian "near" future.

[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Transmetropolitan_2.jpg]
幻術
2013-04-29, 6:46 PM #5
Yeah I'll have to check some of that stuff out. And yeah, if you like him, you may like Gun Machine more than I did! But I wouldn't put it high on your reading list, if you've got some other good stuff lined up.
2013-04-29, 8:07 PM #6
For Ellis' take on superheroes check out The Authority or even better, Planetary.

Yeah, the Extremis storyline was pretty cool, but from the trailers i've seen, i didn't see anything that resembled it, except for a fleeting glimpse of his armor flying onto him at some point in the third trailer.

As far as Ellis novels, i own Crooked Little Vein, a detective novel in the noire style set in modern day america. that was pretty good i thought. haven't got around to reading Gun Machine though. Still <3 Ellis. he totally called the iPhone Siri thing a few months before the 4s came out.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-05-04, 10:04 AM #7
I liked it quite a bit, but I can imagine a lot of people will not like how the mandarin is handled.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-04, 12:55 PM #8
Overall I liked it, but I thought there were a lot of plot holes.
2013-05-06, 8:59 PM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Overall I liked it, but I thought there were a lot of plot holes.

This about sums it up for me. Can't help feel a little letdown, but I guess it was bound to happen with whatever Marvel movie followed Avengers. Also I was hoping for a teaser/spoiler in the scene after the credits.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-07, 12:43 PM #10
Originally posted by Baconfish:
It's ok!

It was ok but the ending sucked.
幻術
2013-05-07, 3:23 PM #11
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
This about sums it up for me. Can't help feel a little letdown, but I guess it was bound to happen with whatever Marvel movie followed Avengers. Also I was hoping for a teaser/spoiler in the scene after the trailers.

I felt for all the attention they put into putting obscure Marvel references in there, they could have at least written a plot that wasn't obviously inconsistent with the previous movies. The operation at the end completely invalidated the entire plot of the second movie. How hard would it have been to notice that?
2013-05-07, 3:24 PM #12
Originally posted by Koobie:
It was ok but the ending sucked.

Explain yourself.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 3:33 PM #13
**** THIS CONTAINS SYMBOLS, READING WHICH WILL SPOIL YOU ****

(.)(.)

He explodes the suits in a dramatic gesture. So useless. She falls into fire but we all know she's not going to die because she just got boosted with the supermeds that she created after some horizontal botanical experiments. So, then, of course she needs to become super strong and protect Stark again (we've already seen this in the same movie, only she was wearing the suit). The more interesting "maniac" gets killed early on the plane (he looks almost same in the comic and is also killed via a shot from the thingie**** to the chest, which was cool). The other guy is just BORING. Oh, let's make chaos. What a great ****ing plan. Oh, yeah, let's make him a woman-killer as well just so that there's no mistake that he's so bad. Then have him dramatically explode inside an Iron Man suit while screaming, "Noo!"

I1>I3>I2 is my assessment and I will probably not see another Iron Man movie if they ever decide to make another one. Next is Star Trek Into Darkness.
幻術
2013-05-07, 6:51 PM #14
Sometimes I think you do not have a fully functional brain.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 7:14 PM #15
I wouldn't... phrase things quite like Koob, but I agree that the ending was a bit meh. There was some intriguing potential in the Mandarin, some potential emotional/conceptual weight, but when he's revealed to be a puppet, he's just replaced with ****ing Killian, whose motivations are like a mashup of the villains/rivals from the first two movies. The corporate greed / desire for capitalistic domination of Obadiah Stane, the pseudo-suave high-tech business appeal of Justin Hammer, and the "**** you for snubbing me, Tony" attitude (more or less) of Ivan Vanko. Just to have the final fight be with some guy who's trying to... control biotech production and control both sides of the war on terror from his corporate HQ is really not compelling. There's also not too much of a sense of urgency or real peril in the final confrontation, either... Pepper's "death" carried no weight because you knew she'd survive and come back, all glowin' hot, just like every other Extremis injectee. Too many Iron Man suits buzzing around, too many expendable Extremis soldiers. Then the bizarre idea that Tony encasing Killian in his armor and detonating it does not kill him, but Pepper punting a bomb at him does (or does it???) ... this is just in the script so that she can have a dramatic return from an unconvincing death and save Tony's ass.

That said, I had a really good time watching the movie! I just don't think it's unreasonable in the slightest to say that the third act leaves a little to be desired.
2013-05-07, 7:23 PM #16
I wouldn't... phrase things quite like Koob, but I agree that the ending was a bit meh. There was some intriguing potential in the Mandarin, some potential emotional/conceptual weight, but when he's revealed to be a puppet, he's just replaced with ****ing Killian, whose motivations are like a mashup of the villains/rivals from the first two movies. The corporate greed / desire for capitalistic domination of Obadiah Stane, the pseudo-suave high-tech business appeal of Justin Hammer, and the "**** you for snubbing me, Tony" attitude (more or less) of Ivan Vanko. Just to have the final fight be with some guy who's trying to... control biotech production and control both sides of the war on terror from his corporate HQ is really not compelling. There's also not too much of a sense of urgency or real peril in the final confrontation, either... Pepper's "death" carried no weight because you knew she'd survive and come back, all glowin' hot, just like every other Extremis injectee. Too many Iron Man suits buzzing around, too many expendable Extremis soldiers. Then the bizarre idea that Tony encasing Killian in his armor and detonating it does not kill him, but Pepper punting a bomb at him does (or does it???) ... this is just in the script so that she can have a dramatic return from an unconvincing death and save Tony's ass.

That said, I had a really good time watching the movie! I just don't think it's unreasonable in the slightest to say that the third act leaves a little to be desired.

I respect your opinion, saberopus-mainly because you put it into words that make you seem like an intelligent human being. That being said, **** you.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 7:46 PM #17
**** off of my dick for once, Antony!

Did you read da comics? I'm not a big comics reader, but I have read one issue of Iron Man, and it was a big confrontation w/ the Mandarin in a huge flying ship and it was all about Iron Man being outmaneuvered by the Mandarin, strategically, etc., and it was really cool. I dunno, I was like 10 when I read it.
2013-05-07, 8:01 PM #18
Originally posted by Antony:
Sometimes I think you do not have a fully functional brain.

Sometimes I imagine you look like a horse.
幻術
2013-05-07, 8:21 PM #19
Ok?
>>untie shoes
2013-05-08, 12:46 AM #20
I'm honestly okay with the ending, except for one question

Why didn't Clean Slate take Brody out?

Other than that, I agree with Saberopus for a change.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-05-08, 3:55 AM #21
Hate trying to talk about the movie without introducing spoilers but I think they went a bit to far with the ending given his likely roles in other Marvel movies - Avenger's 2, ect.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-08, 7:17 AM #22
you mean to say you don't think tony stark could build another suit in an afternoon?

or that whole clean slate thing didn't have at least one exception to the exploding suit fireworks show?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-05-08, 9:18 AM #23
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
you mean to say you don't think tony stark could build another suit in an afternoon?

or that whole clean slate thing didn't have at least one exception to the exploding suit fireworks show?

No, but they made if feel like an ending to the Iron Man story. I'm guessing they aren't pursuing additional sequels at this time. Just doesn't feel right with his character likely to appear in the other marvel movies.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-08, 10:38 AM #24
Robert Downey Jr. is renegotiating his contract.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Robert-Downey-Jr-Playing-Hardball-During-Avengers-2-Contract-Negotiations-37418.html
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-05-08, 1:35 PM #25
Yeah the whole clean slate thing was really annoying to me too.
I enjoyed the rest of the movie though, it was much better than number two
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-05-08, 3:29 PM #26

I think he's probably the only one with the acting talent to make be irreplaceable.
2013-05-08, 3:31 PM #27
I had mixed feelings about the movie, though I enjoyed it overall. I loved the after-credits bit. :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-05-08, 6:41 PM #28

I honestly couldn't wrap my head around how Oh he's dead this time because Pepper is a badass now. What? How does that work?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2013-05-09, 6:51 AM #29
What was the purpose of the Clean Slate protocol anyway apart from a useless (and expensive) sentiment and a Dark Knight reference?
幻術
2013-05-09, 7:00 AM #30
Originally posted by Ford:
For Ellis' take on superheroes check out The Authority or even better, Planetary.

Yeah, the Extremis storyline was pretty cool, but from the trailers i've seen, i didn't see anything that resembled it, except for a fleeting glimpse of his armor flying onto him at some point in the third trailer.

As far as Ellis novels, i own Crooked Little Vein, a detective novel in the noire style set in modern day america. that was pretty good i thought. haven't got around to reading Gun Machine though. Still <3 Ellis. he totally called the iPhone Siri thing a few months before the 4s came out.

Re: Extremis:

1. One of the bad dudes looks very much like the antagonist from the comic, even gets killed somewhat similarly (blasted through the chest). Doesn't get decapitated though, which is too bad.
2. The Extremis serum is taken from the comic, albeit the transformation is significantly toned down.
3. It's mentioned in the comic Stark had a surgery to remove the shard by his heard, but he does it before the events start unraveling.
4. I thought that the Mandarin looked like Warren Ellis (sorta). :)

For others, see below an image of what happens few days after being exposed to Extremis before the subject's body "reconfigures" itself. They didn't want Pepper Potts looking like this. Heh.

Re: Ellis

Haven't read Planetary, but both Global Frequency and Orbiter were really good. The first one even got a TV pilot, though the show never aired. Lazarus Churchyard is pretty badass as well.
幻術
2013-05-09, 8:23 AM #31
I'm just wondering if Tony Stark will be using Extremis Armour in Avengers 2 or if any specific references to Iron Man 3 will just be ignored.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-11, 7:25 AM #32
Well after the credits is said, "Tony Stark Will Return", not necessarily Iron Man. Tony using Extremis armor might be an "oh ****" moment of The Avengers 2.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2013-05-12, 9:03 PM #33
Pepper Potts in a sports bra, glowing red, with giant robot hands is the first time Gwyneth Paltrow has ever given me a boner, and oh what a boner it was.
The Mandarin twist was cute. I understand fully why they did it, but I kinda wish they'd gone with a straight performance anyway. When the Ben Kingsley toy comes out, I'm gonna have it be the Mandarin on my desk regardless.
The thing I don't like about the twist is it kinda ruins the prior two movies, if all those guys in Afghanistan, that guy arranging identities and transport for Vanko, and all this plotting was just Killian wanting to gain more political power.
Speaking of, Tony's suits are all unmanned drones now? Just another example of a Stark stealing a Vanko design.
I really, really liked how the Vice President was handled. In a single shot with barely any dialogue, they illustrated exactly how and why he was involved in the plan.
I wish we'd gotten to see the deep space suit in action, it's really neat looking.
This movie was wild, I never knew what was going to happen from one moment to the next.
Spoony suggested, and I agree, this almost feels like it was supposed to be the third act of the first movie and that movie instead had Obidiah Stane get in a giant mech suit and break stuff.
Villainous Iron Patriot was a good reference.
I really hope RDJ doesn't quit, he has the unholy acting talent required to make Tony Stark a likable character. Even if there's no more Iron Man movies, just Avengers movies, I hope he's in them.

-Also, the post credit scene was cute. I was wondering a few times "So where exactly is Banner?" and, though it doesn't really answer the question, it was good to see him.
2013-05-12, 10:00 PM #34
I wanna know why Clean Slate didn't take out the arm piece that Pepper was still wearing...
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-05-13, 12:48 AM #35
Not everything he makes works right
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!