Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So we all love EA, right??
So we all love EA, right??
2013-05-06, 1:25 PM #1
I hope so, cuz they're the future now: http://starwars.com/news/electronic-arts-selected-for-multi-year-agreement-for-the-future-of-star-wars-gaming.html
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-05-06, 1:42 PM #2
-_______________________________________________________________-
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-06, 2:33 PM #3
lol. Well at least I won't be missing much.
2013-05-06, 2:41 PM #4
Quote:
for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games

hehehe amirite fellas
2013-05-06, 3:11 PM #5
EA owns plenty of competent studios, and EA's much-hated CEO is now gone. I'll wait and see.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-05-06, 3:28 PM #6
Still better than Lucas Arts.
2013-05-06, 5:13 PM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
EA owns plenty of competent studios, and EA's much-hated CEO is now gone. I'll wait and see.

I got ****ed on SimCity so they can eat a dick. I always thought Maxis was pretty competent, and they were the only reason why I bought the damn game in the first place.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2013-05-06, 5:15 PM #8
The horrible crippling DRM on Sim City isn't really Maxis' fault. Game-wise, it's pretty damn awesome.
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-06, 5:50 PM #9
I don't care who makes it, I want another Star Wars FPS of the same quality as Dark Forces or Jedi Knight.
2013-05-06, 5:54 PM #10
It isn't like we were going to get one of those before EA took over.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-05-06, 6:00 PM #11
I think I've only cared about 1313 in the past 5 years of Star Wars games, so. SO.
2013-05-06, 8:07 PM #12
Originally posted by Emon:

I'm very cautiously optimistic about the new CEO.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-06, 11:48 PM #13
Originally posted by DSettahr:
I don't care who makes it, I want another Star Wars FPS of the same quality as Dark Forces or Jedi Knight.

The ideal team for such a game, in my mind, are the people who used to work for 3D Realms, Monolith, LucasArts, and id during their glory days in the late 90s. If not, then we could always look to ourselves to supply the dream Star Wars FPS we've been waiting for and craving for years. We could make it with the now open source JO/JA engine, as well as with the Dark XL and Sith 2 engines once they're completed.
2013-05-06, 11:54 PM #14
I still think that Blizzard deserves the Star Wars gaming license, only because I want to see a Star Wars RTS with the quality of the classic Warcraft/StarCraft games... Actually, I think it should also be licensed to guys at Bungie who gave us Marathon and Myth: The Fallen Lords. Marathon's narrative and gameplay would fit well with Dark Forces. A real time tactics game set in the Star Wars universe with Myth's difficulty would be quite an experience.
2013-05-06, 11:56 PM #15
Also there is now a non-negligible chance that I could get an internship working on a Star Wars game in the next few years. I am pretty cool with that. Maybe I can make some DLC for you guys 8I
2013-05-07, 12:49 AM #16
Well, f***.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-05-07, 3:26 AM #17
Oh christwagons.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-05-07, 4:58 AM #18
no shutting down of swtor i hope
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2013-05-07, 8:46 AM #19
Originally posted by Zell:
The horrible crippling DRM on Sim City isn't really Maxis' fault. Game-wise, it's pretty damn awesome.

I completely disagree on the latter. Tiny-ass city, horrible simulation (seriously, why bother with low-level simulation when sims don't even use the same house), tons of bugs (where only the most egregrious have even been fixed thus far), lack of terrain modification, and now "free" DLC advertisement buildings. Yeah, this is "pretty damn awesome". Give me SC3000 anyday.
2013-05-07, 9:36 AM #20
Or, you could just play the original from 1989. S'what I been doing.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-05-07, 2:36 PM #21
Originally posted by Dark Trooper P5:
I still think that Blizzard deserves the Star Wars gaming license, only because I want to see a Star Wars RTS with the quality of the classic Warcraft/StarCraft games... Actually, I think it should also be licensed to guys at Bungie who gave us Marathon and Myth: The Fallen Lords. Marathon's narrative and gameplay would fit well with Dark Forces. A real time tactics game set in the Star Wars universe with Myth's difficulty would be quite an experience.

Nooooooo @ Blizzard. Just look at Diablo 3, they are clearly incapable of taking the reigns on a title that was formerly popular. They took the entire style of Diablo 1 and 2 (which is what made them popular, for the most part) and they lobotomized it into a League of Legends knockoff with crippling DRM. When the outrage came in, they shut down and ignored it until people forgot about them and then released patches to make the end-game more like WoW. Starcraft 2 was decent, but still a step backwards from Starcraft 1; they lack originality. The last great title they made was Warcraft 3, and I believe that was before the old Blizzard North disbanded and became the atrocity that is Blizzard Irvine.

Bungie, however, knows (or at least knew) what they're doing when it comes to RTSes. My brothers still plays Myth 2 to this day because it's so unique in the RTS genre. And don't forget about dat soundtrack.
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-07, 2:52 PM #22
Originally posted by PAGE:
As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE ( Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.
These are all very good developers. Just hope they don't make Battlefield: Star Wars:

[http://i.minus.com/i5OrThZ7tM6l4.jpg]
幻術
2013-05-07, 3:21 PM #23
Originally posted by Koobie:
These are all very good developers. Just hope they don't make Battlefield: Star Wars:

Uh, why not? I mean, I don't think I'm the only person who is pissed off that Battlefront 3 isn't going to be released, and it is pretty much Battlefield set in Star Wars...
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 3:23 PM #24
I'm happy if there's a good single player campaign, but then and only.

But TBH looking at Battlefield 3's solo & what's known of Battlefield 4, I'd probably buy that game if it was made by DICE. I mean, it has to sell not only to SW fans. And that's new territory for them -- BUT! That can be a good thing, 'cuz it's not like they need the money*.

* everybody needs the money
幻術
2013-05-07, 3:27 PM #25
Originally posted by Antony:
Uh, why not? I mean, I don't think I'm the only person who is pissed off that Battlefront 3 isn't going to be released, and it is pretty much Battlefield set in Star Wars...

Let's be honest, it was basically a ****ty BF1942 TC mod with Star Wars branding. Then again, that's all it needed to be in order to be successful. But, like most of what Lucas Arts did, it was lazy, poorly executed, and fell far short of its potential.

If EA did it, they'd at least do it correctly. Heck, they might even do something that isn't just a Star Wars version of an already popular game.
2013-05-07, 3:30 PM #26
Yeah, EA will definitely do it correctly. Imagine the potential for DLC hero classes, ships, and other vehicles. The game will ship with three planets, and the other 45 or so will be dlc as well. It's going to be fantastic.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 3:37 PM #27
I think they'll make a single-player orientated game first. "Old school style".

Maybe a Republic Commando sequel? I'd play that.
幻術
2013-05-07, 4:08 PM #28
I still demand TIE 2.

Although RC 2 would be nice, too.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-05-07, 4:12 PM #29
LUKE EFFECT 1: CRITICAL MASS
幻術
2013-05-07, 5:40 PM #30
Nooooooo @ Blizzard. Just look at Diablo 3, they are clearly incapable of taking the reigns on a title that was formerly popular. They took the entire style of Diablo 1 and 2 (which is what made them popular, for the most part) and they lobotomized it into a League of Legends knockoff with crippling DRM. When the outrage came in, they shut down and ignored it until people forgot about them and then released patches to make the end-game more like WoW. Starcraft 2 was decent, but still a step backwards from Starcraft 1; they lack originality. The last great title they made was Warcraft 3, and I believe that was before the old Blizzard North disbanded and became the atrocity that is Blizzard Irvine.

Bungie, however, knows (or at least knew) what they're doing when it comes to RTSes. My brothers still plays Myth 2 to this day because it's so unique in the RTS genre. And don't forget about dat soundtrack.

Typical "no one makes games the right way anymore, whaaaaa. Games today don't literally transform me into a young child again, whaaaaaa" post.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-05-07, 6:49 PM #31
I think they'll make a single-player orientated game first. "Old school style".

Maybe a Republic Commando sequel? I'd play that.

Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I still demand TIE 2.

Although RC 2 would be nice, too.

This is EA we're talking about here. We aren't getting either of those things. We will get a game that is designed in a focus group to sell as much as possible to as wide an audience as possible.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 6:57 PM #32

Excellent point, Zell. I agree, I really don't won't the new Blizzard to do a Star Wars RTS. I do want a Star Wars RTS more with the quality of StarCraft 1. It would probably be easier to design with a freeware engine than as a mod for StarCraft.

It's good to know that your brothers are still Myth fans. You're right: the music is one of the best parts of that Myth 1+2.
2013-05-07, 6:59 PM #33
EA will also not make a Star Wars RTS, because RTS games do not sell as well as first person shooters.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-07, 7:30 PM #34
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Typical "no one makes games the right way anymore, whaaaaa. Games today don't literally transform me into a young child again, whaaaaaa" post.

I get to say that because I make games the right way. :colbert:
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-08, 12:10 AM #35
Originally posted by Antony:
This is EA we're talking about here. We aren't getting either of those things. We will get a game that is designed in a focus group to sell as much as possible to as wide an audience as possible.

Agreed--at least not from the 3 studios that were announced. Let's face it--most of these studios are likely going to produce more of the same (as in the type of game they've had success with previously). For instance, Bioware, which already has a Star Wars (SW) game (SW: The Old Republic), is likely to continue that series (they sold a few million copies of it, despite hemoraging players) &/or they'll do something like Mass Effect 3 (ME3), which isn't too disimilar from SW: 1313 (both 3rd-person action games on Unreal Engine 3 (UE3)).

Hell, if there's a studio that could've finished SW:1313 without too much transitioning, it'd be Bioware (they should at least consider building upon the existing assets). DICE is likely going to continue the Battlefront series (or something very similar) & Visceral is likely going to tackle something like the next Republic Commando (not difficult to imagine given the Dead Space series--both games primarily focused on single-player & offered mediocre multi-player experiences) &/or or Dark Forces (a reimagined version of the original would be wonderful for those that didn't grow up with it & are too turned off by how dated it is to try it now).

It's likely that Disney went with Electronic Arts (EA) specifically for the purpose of utilizing these 3 studios for exactly these types of games & I suspect that it'll all happen very quickly (it's likely that a lot of planning went in to this & that the ball has been running at these EA subsidiary studios for some time).

Please excuse me if this is all too obvious but I was bored, have been away from games for a long time & got caught up in a Wikipedia loop.
? :)
2013-05-08, 1:06 AM #36
Quote:
Yesterday we learned that Electronic Arts will be the primary publisher of Star Wars games over the next several years, with Disney holding onto rights for a few specific categories (mobile, social, etc.) And though it wasn't immediately apparent, it's looking like the new deal is bad news for Wii U owners. EA has already revealed that games it produces under the Star Wars franchise will run on its Frostbite 3 engine — also set to serve as the foundation for other next-gen projects like Battlefield 4 and the next Mass Effect game.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/7/4309470/ea-star-wars-games-wii-u-unlikely-due-to-frostbite-3-engine
? :)
2013-05-08, 10:22 AM #37
So then they make a different game using lower-quality assets with an engine that does work, like Unreal Engine 2.5, and release it under the same title. Same thing they did this generation.
2013-05-09, 7:17 AM #38
Re: bla bla EA sucks = devs will fail:

[http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/5/3/12/enhanced-buzz-23670-1367600157-3.jpg]
幻術
2013-05-09, 3:49 PM #39
Re: bla bla EA sucks = devs will fail:

I would pay to watch this movie.

↑ Up to the top!