Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Trek
Star Trek
2013-05-16, 7:43 AM #1
Saw it last night.....

Best movie I've seen in awhile. See it in 3d IMAX if possible.

Such a great villain. Kinda glad it wasn't del toro....
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2013-05-16, 7:56 AM #2
I enjoyed the previous movie quite a bit, so looking forward to seeing this one.

I MIGHT EVEN SEE IT WITH A GIRL, MUAHAHAHAHAHA.
幻術
2013-05-17, 9:38 PM #3
This was by far the best new Star Wars movie I've seen in a long time. I cant wait for the next one in 2015.
My blawgh.
2013-05-17, 10:33 PM #4
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
This was by far the best new Star Wars movie I've seen in a long time. I cant wait for the next one in 2015.

I'm guessing that was intentional, but I can't even tell.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-18, 10:18 AM #5
I am jam packed with intention!

If this were a Star Trek movie the word "tachyon" would have made an appearance. Perhaps a burst of them would have also been been featured. But nay, there wasn't even a mention of the word Dilithium, or it's Crystal or otherwise. The technology worked without explanation and spacial anomalies were at an all time low. Exploring other planets and cultures was also at an all time low. This movie was about characters and conflicts. I honestly did like it though. For me it was on par with the first, though it did have a few cheesy moments, but overall I felt that it stood up on it's own very well.
My blawgh.
2013-05-18, 11:45 AM #6
See I won't get to see it till Monday, and will try to avoid too many spoilers until then but from what I heard it's plot is the classic Star Trek formula.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-18, 12:55 PM #7
I am not sure what constitutes as the classic Star Trek formula, so I'll take your word for it. Without spoiling anything, the plot is definitely centered on moral issues and character growth. The things that made it feel like Star Wars were the thematic elements. Things like sprawling battles and violent firefights. At one point there is even a fist fight on top of a hover craft, which felt like it was right out of Attack of the Clones.
My blawgh.
2013-05-18, 2:39 PM #8
I've heard it is aggressively stupid.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-18, 4:30 PM #9
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I am jam packed with intention!

If this were a Star Trek movie the word "tachyon" would have made an appearance. Perhaps a burst of them would have also been been featured. But nay, there wasn't even a mention of the word Dilithium, or it's Crystal or otherwise. The technology worked without explanation and spacial anomalies were at an all time low. Exploring other planets and cultures was also at an all time low. This movie was about characters and conflicts.
So like the other four good Star Trek movies.
2013-05-19, 10:01 PM #10
I saw the movie earlier tonight, and was not disappointed. This sequel addressed the primary issue I had with the previous movie and included a moral fiber I'd expect out of Starfleet.

Some potential spoiler details, however:
When Kirk was kicking the warp core back into place, it looked really stupid how he was kicking DOWN on it, and at one point, it actually moved in the wrong direction. The scene with old Spock was rather unnecessary, despite liking to see old Spock. Also, the classic Star Trek opening line felt forced and awkward in at the end.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-05-19, 11:13 PM #11
I haven't seen it yet. I'd like to, but who knows if/when I'll get the chance.

From what I've heard though, it fits the same formula as the first JJ Abrams Star Trek incarnation- an enjoyable, entertaining sci-fi action movie, but not a good Star Trek movie.

The best Star Trek movies/episodes were always the ones that if you stripped all the action away, you'd still be left with a thought-provoking, insightful story. With the new films, if you stripped all the action away, you're not left with much at all.
2013-05-20, 12:12 AM #12
DS: I'd disagree, because that was my issue with the first Abrams movie. It's simple and has been done before, and it's what the first movie should have covered - that revenge is not the answer. It certainly has room to get better, and it's going in the right direction as I see it.
2013-05-20, 7:13 AM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
So like the other four good Star Trek movies.

Which ones are those ones? I'm curious because I like the films that some people apparently hate, like Insurrection.

[Although I still can't stand The Final Frontier or Nemesis.]
nope.
2013-05-20, 7:32 AM #14
i went into this movie knowing as little as possible never checked imdb never read any spoiler threads or anything... so i had no idea it was about Khan

then he went all supersoldier on the Klingons and i was thinking "Khan?"
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-05-20, 8:29 AM #15
Wat to ruin it for people dark********!

But seriously that's what I was referring to when I said nay to Deltoro. When they initially mentioned him to play khan I was taken aback. After they decided they weren't going to use Deltoro they said "oh okay now were not going to remake of wrath of khan"

Yahhh not remaking it at all. "have been And will always be your friend"

Honestly if all pll have to complain about are a few cheesy moments and shot where Kirk is kicking down n not sideways (I saw that too and frowned admittedly) I'd say we got lucky with this movie.

Since u ruined the klingon suprise as well I'd just like to throw it out there. I thought they were badass. I've been waiting for en since the first. Romulus are kind of a cop out....

Seriously tho new star wars!! Ive been buzzing about this movie and star wars prospects to co workers and friends that don't care for ever. Pleezzz share in my jubilation massassi!!!

Also I love the score. The best thing is even tho the dude who composed the score for the treks and jj's other stuff (and up I think) he's respectfully stepping down to let johnny Williams compose.... (seizing with joy)

On another note Nolan to direct new bond movie.... ( chokes on own thoung)
2013-05-20, 9:12 AM #16
THOUNG.

SERIOUSLY? THOUNG?
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-20, 9:20 AM #17
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i went into this movie knowing as little as possible never checked imdb never read any spoiler threads or anything... so i had no idea it was about Khan

then he went all supersoldier on the Klingons and i was thinking "Khan?"

Huh, and I could have sworn they claimed that the film wouldn't have anything to do with Khan at one point. With news articles and stuff.

Oh well. TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-05-20, 9:39 AM #18
According to the Star Trek wiki, they wrote it in a fashion where it didn't have to be that way, having essentially just tweaked a few details when they figured it'd have been stupid not to go in that direction. Looking at the plot, I can see how that was the case.
2013-05-20, 10:22 AM #19
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Huh, and I could have sworn they claimed that the film wouldn't have anything to do with Khan at one point. With news articles and stuff.

Oh well. TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!

That's what I just said!!!
But reall would you have wanted them to tell u straight out. It's better if you don't know what's coming. Unfornetly for me I unwittingly read his characters name on imdb just before the
Movie came out.

I really really liked this movie and that's saying something as I hate most newer movies. This star trek blew me away.

I never saw iron man 3 which me me seems an inferior movie. Just saying.

Has anybody by chance read the article on IMDb about Star Trek not " producing at the box office".

That clearly just goes to show you that the general public doesn't like it it has to be good.

I'm sure all of you live in the real world. And in this real world nothing that is truly awesome is appreciated anymore. Especially by the majority. For example look at Star Wars the original trilogy. I am 23 I know several people my age several people younger than me and encounter plenty of people at work. The majority of people that I try to engage in Star Wars-based conversation ( and trust me I try alot). Have never seen a single Star Wars movie most of the younger crowd has only seen the remakes and refuses to watch the older ones because they are "old".

No people would rather see the great Gatsby. Which incidentally I did not see but talk to somebody about who did see it who explain to me exactly what happened and how it played out and how they incorporated a bunch of modern music. That is atrocious to me- I digress.

Bottom line Star Trek is awesome. I loved all the inside information on you about the series and the movies. But despite my limited knowledge according to somebody who posted earlier they know a lot more about Star Trek than me. I applaud you sir I wish I had your infinite sci-fi knowledge to be dipping your pen in both Star Wars and Star Trek ink...
2013-05-20, 12:26 PM #20
Originally posted by Koobie:
I enjoyed the previous movie quite a bit, so looking forward to seeing this one.

I MIGHT EVEN SEE IT WITH A GIRL, MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

I saw it with two girls!! Zing! Sadly only did the Klingon mating dance of passion with only one afterwords...

Really tho my gf said we were naming our first born khan after that movie....

It's that good it makes regular girls geeky...
2013-05-20, 12:49 PM #21
God you are awful.
>>untie shoes
2013-05-20, 4:05 PM #22
Cheers, Jim, I never knew that.

Sigh.
nope.
2013-05-20, 6:20 PM #23
Saw it this afternoon, I liked it a lot.

Trying to be vague to avoid spoilers, but here's some of the really minor nitpick's I have:

-It's odd, I love Bone's metaphors and 1-liners but I really dislike how Karl Urban delivers them.

-When Spock 'phones-a-friend' you would think he might want to explain a little more about their current situation, in case they all die at least the truth would be known.

- Uhura, really?

- I think they really missed an opportunity to explain anything about that 'augmented' bridge officer. How do you have a character that cool and say nothing about him?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-05-20, 9:26 PM #24
I just saw it tonight. I quite enjoyed it actually. And all I have to say is: BENEDICT MF CUMBERBATCH!!

Also I saw the last one with a girl who I dated for all of 3 months. Fail, Star Trek, fail.

Also also I nearly peed myself every time the Enterprise soared onto screen or out of the ocean!! . Gurgle.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-05-21, 12:17 AM #25
Saw it in IMAX 3D. Fun.
2013-05-21, 1:55 AM #26
I read that it was shot in 2D and converted. The last converted movie that I saw was Jurassic Park and while it was pretty cool, I couldn't help but notice in just about every shot artifacts and flat spots that basically ruined it for me. After that I only want to see movies that were shot in 3D unless somebody can convince me otherwise.
2013-05-21, 5:11 PM #27
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Also I saw the last one with a girl who I dated for all of 3 months. Fail, Star Trek, fail.

You got Spock blocked?
nope.
2013-05-21, 8:15 PM #28
Originally posted by Baconfish:
You got Spock blocked?

Sad, but true. Spock gets ALL the girls.
2013-05-22, 7:04 PM #29
DAMMIT XASTHUR IS IT SO HARD TO USE SPOILER TAGS? IS IT? YOU ARE LIKE THE WORST MASSASSIAN EVER!

:argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-05-22, 7:39 PM #30
or maybe avoid a discussion thread about a movie you don't want spoiled until after you've seen it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-05-22, 8:52 PM #31
Ultimate **** mcgee.

Love how Spock gets a rage moment in these new movies. That look he shot kahn was like "Oh, so now you bring my woman into this?"

Then he's all arm break, tripple flip choke slam, atomic face punching machine.

Also, Kahn was a BADASS.

I want to know what was up with beta data.

edit: Wow, thats blocked? Is tatas more acceptable?
2013-05-27, 7:44 PM #32
Tangentially, I noticed that they totally misspelled "Qo'noS" as "Kronos".
2013-05-29, 8:11 AM #33
little typos are bound to sneak through, Dor
2013-05-31, 7:38 AM #34
Originally posted by saberopus:
little typos are bound to sneak through, Dor

There's a difference between them missing an apostrophe somewhere, and them completely ignoring the established canonical transliterations and using letters ("K" and "s") that don't even exist in tlhIngan Hol orthography.... :gbk:

Edit. Or I could be a moron.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Qo'noS#The_name_of_the_homeworld

Basically every time it's appeared it's been different, it looks like. This is really going to bother me though because "Kronos" is the only word I've ever seen transliterated with K/s....
2013-05-31, 9:05 AM #35
I like how they did it. Enough parallels to WoK without being carbon-copy.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!