Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Deus Ex: Nihilum - #1 on ModDB
Deus Ex: Nihilum - #1 on ModDB
2013-05-30, 2:50 AM #1
As mentioned by RockPaperShotgun in January and March 2011.

As featured by PC Gamer in March 2013.

It IS the FastGamerr Project To End All FastGamerr Projects.

[http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/16/15689/DXN_Wallpaper3.jpg]

Deus Ex: Nihilum[/url]

Not only was it noted by Eidos Montreal, developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (on Facebook as well).

But also by Harvey Smith, one of the people who madeDeus Ex great to begin with.

But as of this minute, it's also #1 mod on ModDB!

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15991411/mp3/Bandwidth/DXN/Nr1Fade.jpg]

So was it all worth it? Hell yes.

Would I ever do it again? Ahaha, no.

As you were.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-05-30, 3:20 AM #2
Congratulations--that's quite the accomplishment! I'll certainly give it a go once I make my way in to the world of Deus Ex. I would also like to add that my wife & I gave your Virtual Studio Abuse album a listen & we both enjoyed it.
? :)
2013-05-30, 3:23 AM #3
Thanks on both accounts, Mentat!

I guess the only caveat that comes to my mind is that the voice acting really is the weakest part of the mod... but it's also the best I got when I asked if anyone wanted to voiceact for the mod for free. So it goes!

And now Kotaku joins the party!

[Edit: May 30th 10 PM] And... International Business Times!

[Edit: May 31st 10 AM] And... The Escapist Magazine!

[Edit: May 31st 3 PM] And PCGamer again!

[Edit: May 31st 5 PM] And RockPaperShotgun again!
2013-05-30, 5:30 AM #4
Hi,

I only have the demo to Deus Ex: Invisible War. Can I still launch the MOD? I can't find an option in the settings.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-05-30, 6:45 AM #5
Wow. Very impressive. Congratulations!

Originally posted by Krokodile:
I only have the demo to Deus Ex: Invisible War. Can I still launch the MOD? I can't find an option in the settings.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, then I believe FGR's mod is for the original Deus Ex, not Deus Ex: Invisible War.
幻術
2013-05-30, 6:59 AM #6
Awww yeeee. Steam dropped a little notification two days ago that so-and-so was playing Deus Ex: Nihelium and I was like 'behhhhh?'.

Congratulations on your accolades, and finishing on schedule! I'll have to reinstall DX asap.
2013-05-30, 5:43 PM #7
Way to go, FGR!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-05-30, 7:29 PM #8
Does this mod include a ham sandwich?
>>untie shoes
2013-05-30, 7:30 PM #9
[http://www.indiepundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2013-05-30, 7:56 PM #10
holy s*** FGR way to go man
DO NOT WANT.
2013-05-30, 9:28 PM #11
Many of the congrats! I see our forum now reflects your achievements. :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-05-30, 11:25 PM #12
I'm genuinely impressed by your perseverance and success. I've never played Deus Ex, but if I did, I would try your mod, and surely would be equally impressed by your artistic talent and attention to detail.

I can see, though, that you accomplished what a lot of us only dreamt of doing as kids... (that is, you finished a mod that rivals an expansion pack :o).
2013-05-31, 12:15 AM #13
Thanks, fellas! As far as endings to modding "careers" are concerned, this is a pretty good way to go! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]

@ReverendJones: Yeah, I had to expel both TODOA and DXN out of my system before truly being able to move on with things. Took 5 years!
2013-05-31, 3:27 AM #14
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Thanks, fellas! As far as endings to modding "careers" are concerned, this is a pretty good way to go!

If you don't mind me asking, why are you giving it up? I imagine that an accomplishment such as this would serve as encouragement to a person.
? :)
2013-05-31, 5:33 AM #15
Well, I wrote about all that stuff on my ModDB blog post. At any rate, I can't let any project overtake my personal time as much as TODOA and DXN did.
2013-05-31, 6:24 AM #16
#1 Source for Everything Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-05-31, 7:34 AM #17
Well done FastGamerr! :D It's so good to see mods of this scale and quality actually getting released. It's so easy, irrespective of ability and how good the initial idea is for such projects to never be completed due to the work involved. Really impressive that you even managed to finish it! I'll have to check it out over the weekend, it looks fantastic from the screens and reviews though!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-05-31, 9:03 AM #18
Wow, I thought this mod was an elaborate troll.

I'll probably download and fail at it like I did TODOA
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-05-31, 12:53 PM #19
I know RPS doesn't do Mod News anymore, but still, to see a full article about a mod is extremely rare. Nice work!
2013-05-31, 11:23 PM #20
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I guess the only caveat that comes to my mind is that the voice acting really is the weakest part of the mod... but it's also the best I got when I asked if anyone wanted to voiceact for the mod for free. So it goes!

FGR - man I feel so bad dropping off the face of the earth when you asked me if I wanted to help you with this. I've kind of been through some turmoil in the past year and it's held me back from really doing anything on the fun side. I do want to congratulate you, though. You're one of the most talented people I've ever done anything with. I know how much work you put into TODOA and I imagine this is more of the same.

Great job bud! :awesome:
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2013-06-01, 1:28 AM #21
Holy **** you actually finished it.
I'm impressed, irl literally impressed.
Also TODOA owned too so damn man, damn.
2013-06-01, 1:29 AM #22
Furthermore I just finished DX1 and love you for giving me more.
Stupid question time: I played through DX1 on the PIII I use for old gaming, would this mod work on that or does it overhaul the hell out of everything?
2013-06-01, 1:48 AM #23
Thanks again, (more) fellas!

@Tibby: Well, the models and textures (sans D3D10) shouldn't cause any trouble, but some of the levels are quite large/detailed and might cause lag (at least similar lag like the Redsun2020 mod has).

But I guess you should be more worried about starting to reminisce about how nice and simple the wrench puzzle was... ;O
2013-06-01, 3:01 PM #24
DX10, directx10? I thought this was on the original engine?
I'm confused now boss.
2013-06-01, 3:55 PM #25
It will likely not work on your old computer.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-06-01, 10:25 PM #26
I'll try anyway and then give you my Tibby Approved Old PC Report
2013-06-01, 10:38 PM #27
Wait.. FGR made this to run on modern machines if I'm correct in my recollection of things... So now you want to run it on a ****ty computer just because you have some old pc fetish?
>>untie shoes
2013-06-01, 10:54 PM #28
Yes, and?
2013-06-01, 10:54 PM #29
Didn't you make a thread about how you upgraded / replaced your PC?
2013-06-01, 10:57 PM #30
lol
2013-06-02, 12:19 AM #31
I've got a nice i5 system I'm upgrading to haswell monday, but I was asking because I played DX on the system I use for playing 90s games- a pentium 3.
2013-06-02, 12:48 AM #32
Originally posted by Tibby:
DX10, directx10? I thought this was on the original engine?
I'm confused now boss.

Nah, you don't need the D3D10 Renderer for DXN. I still assume the levels might cause performance issues on old PCs (considering Redsun2020, a mod that in places is less (or sometimes more!) detailed than DXN, already made my Celeron600 sweat back in the day).
2013-06-02, 12:57 AM #33
Assuming it installs correctly on my retail GOTY edition (i'm looking for patches, if I find any I'll install them first) i'll have a trip report.
E: The installer doesn't seem to like windows 98 (which is obviously understandable) so I'm trying to pull the files out manually. Patched to 1112fm which i assume is the lastest.
E2: Welp your executable doesn't work on Windows 98, which again is totally understandable since spending even a second supporting an OS older then the bush administration is stupid, and so is using it but well- im stupid. This has been a Tibby Trip Report.
2013-06-02, 1:28 AM #34
Is it terrible of me to say I didn't know you made mods FastGamerr because I actually didn't! This is stunning work, I didn't know about your JK mod either and now I want to play bolth of them. congratulations brossuf
2013-06-02, 5:26 AM #35
Wouldn't say terrible... a bit weird, maybe.

Or maybe you've just (sub)consciously developed a pretty good TODOA (+ DXN) filter after I started mentioning it (or them) in every post o' mine.

And thanks, sir 42689!
2013-06-02, 8:13 AM #36
I think you just haven't been around as much since the bigger hubbub about FGR projects (TODOA + DXN) began, Thrawn.
2013-06-02, 9:11 AM #37
Originally posted by Tibby:
Assuming it installs correctly on my retail GOTY edition (i'm looking for patches, if I find any I'll install them first) i'll have a trip report.
E: The installer doesn't seem to like windows 98 (which is obviously understandable) so I'm trying to pull the files out manually. Patched to 1112fm which i assume is the lastest.
E2: Welp your executable doesn't work on Windows 98, which again is totally understandable since spending even a second supporting an OS older then the bush administration is stupid, and so is using it but well- im stupid. This has been a Tibby Trip Report.

Couldn't you just... install it on your main PC and copy it over?
2013-06-02, 11:36 AM #38
Not if the narcomafia have it.
幻術
2013-06-02, 2:11 PM #39
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Couldn't you just... install it on your main PC and copy it over?

I manually extracted the files from the installer, the problem is the exec. used for running the mod itself wont work with 98, which again is totally understandable!
2013-06-02, 2:33 PM #40
Remove the fgrhk.exe created by the installer, make a copy of DeusEx.exe and rename the copy as fgrhk.exe.

↑ Up to the top!