Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pitch: Spaceballs: Belligerent Forces II: Schwartz Warrior for JK or MOTS
Pitch: Spaceballs: Belligerent Forces II: Schwartz Warrior for JK or MOTS
2013-06-06, 3:30 PM #1
After years of brilliant JK and MOTS mods, and I think we need a Spaceballs TC for JK/MOTS. Players have still yet to be able to fight with a Schwartz Ring in 3D, so why not parody the general story of JK for such a mod? It should be called Schwartz Warrior, the main plot should be that the Spaceballs and group known as the Seven Flaccid Schwartz Warriors are after the mythical power of the long lost Schwartz Valley. Play as Druish discount mercenary Othar Hero, former Spaceball, who ventures through such locales as Space Vegas and the Colorado System to fight off Schwartz warriors such as Genric, Legs, and the Benedict brothers. Fight with force powers such as the Schwartz groin laser, Schwartz pull, Schwartz levitate, Schwartz static, and Schwartz smash.
2013-06-06, 3:38 PM #2
So, since this is a pitch, what's the goal here? Get someone to pay you to do it? Get someone else to do it?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-06-06, 4:09 PM #3
I'll make the wiki
2013-06-06, 4:24 PM #4
This thread is making me feel nostalgic.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-06-06, 5:21 PM #5
Originally posted by Krokodile:
So, since this is a pitch, what's the goal here? Get someone to pay you to do it? Get someone else to do it?

Nah, I want to do the work by myself. I just wanted to know if this was a good idea for a JK mod, and what I could do to improve it and make it work on the Sith engine.

I also thought that the pitch would just be entertaining.
2013-06-06, 5:36 PM #6
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'll make the wiki

After what you didn't deliver with Sith2? No way.

I've already contacted SF_Gold to make the wiki.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-06-06, 6:06 PM #7
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
After what you didn't deliver with Sith2? No way.

I've already contacted SF_Gold to make the wiki.

How is the progress of the Sith2 engine, by the way? It's one of those reverse engineered engines which I would love to use when it's finished, next to the openDarkEngine, the Revert3D engine, the System Shock Hack Project, and the XL Engine. I'm rather fond of the Sith Engine, and if a functional reverse engineered version is finished, that would be awesome.
2013-06-06, 6:26 PM #8
Originally posted by Dark Trooper P5:
How is the progress of the Sith2 engine, by the way?

This is basically the thing.

I'm going to let you all in on a secret: it's actually very easy to emulate the behavior of software. The challenge is emulating the mis-behavior of software. That's why JK is so much worse for engine recreation than a lot of other games: it's essentially a gigantic bundle of malfunctioning components that have accidentally generated a game. You might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Virtually every significant first-party asset contains some major or minor error, which would either need a special case or a patch (and distributing those fixes would breach copyright.)

That's why there will never be a working JK engine recreation.
2013-06-06, 6:30 PM #9
12:54 < Jon`C> alright, this is ****ed up
12:55 < Jon`C> test5 = test8 = test = 10; (test is set to 3146514, test8 to 651 and test5 to 5)
12:55 < Jon`C> printint(test); // 10
12:55 < Jon`C> printint(test8); // 651
12:55 < Jon`C> printint(test5); // 651
12:55 < space_ghost> so the statement becomes "test5 = test8; test = 10"?
12:55 < Jon`C> apparently.
12:56 < space_ghost> fantastic.
12:56 < Jon`C> yeah, the pattern holds
12:56 < Jon`C> so the jk devs wrote a c-like language without actually knowing c
12:57 < Jon`C> :golf clap:
12:57 < space_ghost> the cog sucks pattern?
12:58 < Jon`C> the yes that is exactly what's happening pattern
12:59 < Jon`C> though honestly I think the big takeaway for today is that...
12:59 < Jon`C> 1, 2, 3; vectorset(); printvector();
12:59 < Jon`C> prints <1, 2, 3>
13:00 < Jon`C> and that lec cogs are written with the expectation that this will work
2013-06-06, 7:30 PM #10
I remember that chat.

Good times.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2013-06-06, 7:33 PM #11
Nah, I want to do the work by myself.

Fantastic idea for a TC. I look forward to playing this.

:hist101:
2013-06-06, 9:29 PM #12
MOTS, now get to work and deliver a 1 level demo before the end of the month.

i already made a kickstarter
2013-06-06, 9:36 PM #13
Why recreate the jedi knight engine that sounds retarded, make a new engine that's able to use sith assets
2013-06-06, 10:01 PM #14
Originally posted by Tibby:
Why recreate the jedi knight engine that sounds retarded, make a new engine that's able to use sith assets

You gonna rewrite all the cogs?
2013-06-06, 10:04 PM #15
I would play the hell out of this.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-06-06, 10:26 PM #16
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You gonna rewrite all the cogs?

From what I gather from Jon'C re-writing them all and making an entirely new scripting engine would be less effort then remaking cog
2013-06-06, 10:31 PM #17
I'll make the wiki

You should call it Schwiki.
幻術
2013-06-06, 11:03 PM #18
winnebagopedia
2013-06-06, 11:46 PM #19
From what I gather from Jon'C re-writing them all and making an entirely new scripting engine would be less effort then remaking cog

Less effort != worthwhile effort
2013-06-06, 11:50 PM #20
That is the hard part. Making a new engine that's functionally identical to JK's is surprisingly easy, the problem is dealing with the junk assets Lucasarts made. Garbage in, garbage out.

I did remake cog. That's how I know how dire the situation is. Check the characteristic tests here: https://github.com/jdmclark/gorc/blob/develop/src/cogtest/language/characteristic/characteristic_semantic_test.cpp

In a random sample of cogs, 21% contain major errors and only work by accident of implementation detail. I also found a mean of 2.9 "minor" errors per cog, most of which really should cause bugs, but were probably special cased in the original game engine as an 11th hour bug fix (e.g. type problems like using sector IDs as thing IDs).

We also know almost nothing about how the gameplay works. Templates are full of magic numbers, but nobody has done a big picture, top-down look at what means what. People always just bashed on master.tpl until they got something that was almost right. All I know for sure is that the units they used involve neither JKU nor seconds, but what they do mean is a total mystery. (Premultiplied by an unknown, hard-coded game tick? God only knows.)
2013-06-07, 2:28 AM #21
wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttt. At first I thought this was a necrothread. :tinfoil:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2013-06-07, 3:05 AM #22
Why even bother with the Sith assets at this point? They'd look like ass by today's standards. If a remake (re-imagined would be even better) was going to be done, it should be released in stages, starting with deathmatch, then capture the flag & eventually single-player (assuming the developers haven't lost interest at this point).

I like the idea of a Spaceballs TC but doing it in JKDF2 is a bit of a turnoff.
? :)
2013-06-07, 3:33 AM #23
It better come out before Planet Sith IV.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-06-07, 4:20 AM #24
Originally posted by Mentat:
Why even bother with the Sith assets at this point? They'd look like ass by today's standards. If a remake (re-imagined would be even better) was going to be done, it should be released in stages, starting with deathmatch, then capture the flag & eventually single-player (assuming the developers haven't lost interest at this point).

I like the idea of a Spaceballs TC but doing it in JKDF2 is a bit of a turnoff.

Why should the prospect of doing a Spaceballs TC in JK or MOTS have any effect on your turn ons? I like that old engine just fine, so to hell with doing it on modern engines! (Puts Dark Helmet mask on) Do not dare go over my helmet, mere Mentat of the Duneballs!

To everyone else, I can't do a demo for this in a month. I need to do Belligerent Forces 1 for DF1 first, then I'll do this. Besides, I haven't acquainted myself with the JK/MOTS editors yet!
2013-06-07, 5:04 AM #25
oh wow.

-wow.
2013-06-07, 5:36 AM #26
Why should the prospect of doing a Spaceballs TC in JK or MOTS have any effect on your turn ons? I like that old engine just fine, so to hell with doing it on modern engines! (Puts Dark Helmet mask on) Do not dare go over my helmet, mere Mentat of the Duneballs!

Damnit, Dark Trooper P5, I didn't spend all of this money on a new notebook with Windows 8 that runs Unreal Tournament 3 so fluidly that it makes me motion sick just to watch you go & create a mod for a game that I can't even play on said machine without dual-booting.
? :)
2013-06-07, 10:19 AM #27
Wait, holy **** you're making a DF mod? Do you have anything done I want to see it.
2013-06-08, 9:00 AM #28
This thread is wonderful
2013-06-08, 9:09 AM #29
Why put a **** ton of effort into something only 5 people will play?
2013-06-08, 9:28 AM #30
Originally posted by Rob:

That's extremely optimistic. Pretty sure only two people have played TODOA, and both of those people were Nikumubeki.

:colbert:
2013-06-08, 9:32 AM #31
To me its like putting down on canvas a davinci level of work.... then hanging it in a school for the blind.
2013-06-08, 11:27 PM #32
Every mod needs to start with a textureless rendering of a saber hilt in lieu of evidence of actual modding work. Since Spaceballs have rings instead, I made this!

Now the mod is going places!

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/RING.jpg]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-06-09, 8:01 AM #33
should have textured it with dflt.mat
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-06-09, 8:21 AM #34

It's not something only 5 people will play. It's something only 5 people will play the hell out of.
2013-06-09, 8:22 AM #35
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
winnebagopedia

No, no, wait, I've got it. Spaceballs: The Wiki.
2013-06-09, 3:37 PM #36

That's exactly why Magrucko 3 is taking ages. Even though what I've done so far (I think) is pretty good, knowing only a handful of people will play it really puts me off asking people for voices etc... because I feel guilty. And I think I could be doing better things with my time!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2013-06-09, 5:47 PM #37
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
No, no, wait, I've got it. Spaceballs: The Wiki.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-06-09, 6:18 PM #38
Sex-crazed Urban Berserker
Makes Indian Sex Slave Internal Orgasm Now
幻術
2013-06-10, 9:50 PM #39
I'm going to let you all in on a secret: it's actually very easy to emulate the behavior of software. The challenge is emulating the mis-behavior of software. That's why JK is so much worse for engine recreation than a lot of other games: it's essentially a gigantic bundle of malfunctioning components that have accidentally generated a game. You might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Virtually every significant first-party asset contains some major or minor error, which would either need a special case or a patch (and distributing those fixes would breach copyright.)

That's why there will never be a working JK engine recreation.

What would recreating the engine allow you to do?
2013-06-10, 10:36 PM #40
Originally posted by crazyed236:
What would recreating the engine allow you to do?
The big item is basic maintenance. JK doesn't run properly on most new computers, and the situation is going to get worse as time goes on. Eventually it won't run at all. Since we don't have access to the source code, the only way to keep the game running in the long term is to reproduce that source code.

An engine recreation would also allow bug fixes, platform ports, and enhanced graphics and gameplay.

↑ Up to the top!