Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Man of Steel
Man of Steel
2013-06-14, 8:51 PM #1
Just got back from seeing it and am currently trying to digest it all.
Like all Zack Snyder films this one is no exception when you can expect a lot of action and special-effects.
I must say I liked the film, it surprised me many times and I felt that it was a good modern treatment for the franchise, not to mention a good foot in the door for future DC comic book films.

I don't want to say more as I am not sure what to say at this time. Has anyone else seen it and what were your thoughts?

P.S. The scenes with Faora were probably my favorite in the entire film.
My blawgh.
2013-06-14, 9:41 PM #2
I enjoyed it very much. Honestly, if I didn't already know it was directed by Zack Snyder, I would never have guessed that it was. The non action parts looked like something out of a Terrence Malick film, and the action parts looked like something out of no film I have ever seen.

I loved Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod. A man with one job to do: Protect Kyrpton. Unfortunately it was their society that doomed them, and there's not a damned thing he can do about it, so he kind of loses his god damned mind. Michael Shannon is great at playing an unhinged maniac, so I enjoyed this.

Christopher Meloni gets the ultimate badass award for his scene in the cockpit of the plane.

Superman learning to fly was absolutely goosebump inducing, even though the scene had pretty much been spoiled in the trailers. ****, it still gives me goosebumps when I watch the trailer.

After a few days we'll delve into spoiler territory that way we won't have morons coming into this thread and *****ing that things get spoiled.
>>untie shoes
2013-06-17, 1:44 PM #3
Hey guys! I watched it yesterday - the ticket was a Father's Day gift. :awesome: Anyway, there were only a couple of things that bugged me, one of which I'll leave alone for now, but the other was the amount of collateral damage. Stuff was getting destroyed right and left, buildings falling and getting flattened, and nobody said, "Hey, can we move the fight to a less populated area?" And Superman seemed pretty indifferent to most of it, except when it involved Lois or one or 2 other people.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2013-06-17, 3:06 PM #4
For possibly the first time in the history of Massassi, I agree on basically every point that Antony said. I'm not even going to lie, Zod's confession at the end (during the post-kiss fight scene) as to why he'd felt forced to this all made me tear up a bit.

Also, mad props I think for nailing the whole "this technology is alien" motif (especially the phantom-gate near the beginning or whatever we should call it).

As to the collateral damage. Zod et al had absolutely no reason to preserve any of Planet Houston, so Superman would be pretty hard pressed to move them and their ship to somewhere less inhabited to fight.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-06-17, 4:43 PM #5
Originally posted by Antony:
Superman learning to fly was absolutely goosebump inducing, even though the scene had pretty much been spoiled in the trailers. ****, it still gives me goosebumps when I watch the trailer.

Which trailer is this? I can't find it. There's about 10 tv spots and four trailers at least. ahh!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2013-06-17, 4:54 PM #6
I can probably see one movie this week, and I may not be able to see any movies again for a while. Should I see this, or find a theater that is still showing Iron Man 3?
2013-06-17, 5:54 PM #7
Originally posted by DSettahr:
I can probably see one movie this week, and I may not be able to see any movies again for a while. Should I see this, or find a theater that is still showing Iron Man 3?

I have seen Iron Man 3. Given the choice to see either again, I would go with Man of Steel. Hands down.
My blawgh.
2013-06-18, 1:10 AM #8
They're both outstanding in different ways. Iron Man 3 more or less amounts to a lampooning of the superhero genre in general, which I feel exactly what we need right now. Man of Steel amounts to a movie that takes a superhero seriously who no one ever really thought could be taken seriously. That is also exactly what we need right now.

Not to belabor the cliche bull**** quote that all of the movie critics have used about both of these films, but I'm going to paraphrase it in a way that doesn't make me sound self righteous and condescending: These are both movies we need right now, and they're both movies we deserve.

They both kick ass. Choose your poison: Super smartass Downey playing Tony Stark as written by Shane Black, or morose Superman who probably isn't so sold on the American way part of it all...
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!