Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Grand Theft Auto V video preview.
Grand Theft Auto V video preview.
2013-07-09, 2:36 PM #1
Looks pretty amazing, if you ask me*.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/gameplay-video-shows-grand-theft-auto-vs-character-swapping-heists/

* Not that you would.
幻術
2013-07-09, 3:40 PM #2
It's nice you play tennis, golf and trade stocks... but can you drive a tank through downtown blowing things up?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-07-09, 5:32 PM #3
No, you have GTA3 for that.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-07-09, 7:35 PM #4
or saints row if you wanna do that with a giant pink dildo in your hand
DO NOT WANT.
2013-07-09, 9:55 PM #5
Originally posted by Zell:
or saints row if you wanna do that with a giant pink dildo in your hand

Did you hear there is going to be a special 'low violence' edition of Saints Row 4 for Australia? That outta be amusing.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-07-10, 3:09 AM #6
Jeezo.
nope.
2013-07-10, 12:19 PM #7
Looks cool I hope they have it on the pee cee
2013-07-10, 1:44 PM #8
The game certainly looks impressive--I just can't get in to this particular series. However, the last one I played was GTA3 but I was bored quickly & ended up only driving around & doing stunts.
? :)
2013-07-10, 2:42 PM #9
You should try GTA4, Mentat. It has much more story. The guy in GTA3 was mute, for crying out loud -- I mean, the whole thing was a farce. GTA4 tried to take itself a little bit more seriously. Had more character.

Or you can go and buy Max Payne 3. No cars, just mayhem.
幻術
2013-07-10, 8:43 PM #10
Yeah, GTA4 was a little (little) more down to earth and had a more realistic experience. Vice City and San Andreas also had more of a story, but 4's was by far the most story-oriented.

That said, if all you want to do is run around like crazy, blow **** up, and have a blast (pun intended), Saints Row is way better for it. It's like a cheesy 80's action/sci-fi movie that will do anything to entertain, not be held back by silly things like plot. I loved SR3, and Saints Row 4 looks to be even better.
2013-07-10, 9:11 PM #11
Saints Row 3 was everything I love about videogames. Saints Row 4 looks to be everything I didn't even know I loved about videogames.
>>untie shoes
2013-07-10, 11:23 PM #12
Originally posted by Koobie:
You should try GTA4, Mentat. It has much more story. The guy in GTA3 was mute, for crying out loud -- I mean, the whole thing was a farce. GTA4 tried to take itself a little bit more seriously. Had more character. Or you can go and buy Max Payne 3. No cars, just mayhem.

I'll look in to GTA4. I certainly like the idea of being able to bicycle, drive cars, drive motorcycles, para-glide/shoot & scubadive in GTA5--that's quite impressive.

However, in the meantime, after a shipping delay with receiving my new notebook from Lenovo (they apparently sold so many due to the sale that they fell behind in manufacturing), I was only able to play through a few games before the SSD mSATA HDD failed (initially SMART issues that alloted me enough time to backup before it totally went). No one in Paris (or France for that matter) is able to repair the unit under the manufacturer's warranty for private customers (they can only service business customers), so I had to ship the ******* to their service center in Germany for a minimum of 16 days. I was tempted to swap the drive myself, at a cost to me, when I heard how long it was going to take, but I didn't want to risk violating the terms of the warranty & I heard that setting up the cache-system is a bit of a hassle anyways. This unit has shipped from China to the U.S., from the U.S. to France & now from France to Germany & soon back to me, all in a period of a few months. **** me--I'm going to the beach...
? :)
2013-07-11, 5:15 AM #13
Originally posted by Mentat:
However, in the meantime, after a shipping delay with receiving my new notebook from Lenovo (they apparently sold so many due to the sale that they fell behind in manufacturing), I was only able to play through a few games before the SSD mSATA HDD failed (initially SMART issues that alloted me enough time to backup before it totally went). No one in Paris (or France for that matter) is able to repair the unit under the manufacturer's warranty for private customers (they can only service business customers), so I had to ship the ******* to their service center in Germany for a minimum of 16 days. I was tempted to swap the drive myself, at a cost to me, when I heard how long it was going to take, but I didn't want to risk violating the terms of the warranty & I heard that setting up the cache-system is a bit of a hassle anyways. This unit has shipped from China to the U.S., from the U.S. to France & now from France to Germany & soon back to me, all in a period of a few months. **** me--I'm going to the beach...

You're probably better for it.

French Style = leave the tech to the Germans. ;)
幻術
2013-07-12, 3:55 AM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah, GTA4 was a little (little) more down to earth and had a more realistic experience. Vice City and San Andreas also had more of a story, but 4's was by far the most story-oriented.

That said, if all you want to do is run around like crazy, blow **** up, and have a blast (pun intended), Saints Row is way better for it. It's like a cheesy 80's action/sci-fi movie that will do anything to entertain, not be held back by silly things like plot. I loved SR3, and Saints Row 4 looks to be even better.

Just Cause 2 should get an honourable mention for this too. It's prettier than SR3, has a variety of landscapes to explore, it's less crass (if that bothers you); and blowing stuff up all the time is rewarded and part of the game mechanic as you're meant to be destabilising the government through acts of sabotage and destruction. There's a grappling hook/parachute dynamic that allows your character to scale anything, to sail over canyons, to leap out of helicopters and grapple onto new ones mid-flight. You can also use the grappling hook to chain enemy vehicles to each other, to soldiers, to static objects (tying the nose of vehicles to the bridge overhead is hilarious). It's all ridiculous and meant to make it feel like an action movie all the time. It's built into even the little things like the fact that if you exit a moving vehicle it automatically becomes fragile so it definitely blows up on the next thing it hits at a decent speed.
2013-07-12, 4:10 AM #15
I never got the fuss over Just Cause 2. It's fun, but I get bored of it quite quickly because there's hardly anything populating the map.
nope.
2013-07-12, 7:02 AM #16
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
It's nice you play tennis, golf and trade stocks... but can you drive a tank through downtown blowing things up?

Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2013-07-12, 7:03 AM #17
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Did you hear there is going to be a special 'low violence' edition of Saints Row 4 for Australia? That outta be amusing.

=[
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-07-12, 7:12 AM #18
Deadman, is there a way for you to circumvent such nannying, or no?
2013-07-15, 4:54 AM #19
Yeah, it's called piracy. Well, there's other things too:
Though I did snag a Mortal Kombat for my ps3 back when it was banned simply by ordering it from England. However, I have already pre-purchased my steam copy, which I do not regret, I wouldn't want to get this on console anyway.
I MIGHT have to pirate it as well, depending on how much I lose out on. If I'm -really- lucky it'll be like Left4Dead 2 when all it took was a small file alteration to completely de-censor the game (apparently zombie chunks is considered more than my little eyes can handle).
I really hope I can just play my steam version without losing TOO much, that way I can play it online with my niece happily (I'll probably still play online with her, it just might not be as good).
2013-07-30, 2:35 AM #20
Had to necro this thread, and not just because it's appropriate to my name.
Just wanted to add to the Saints Row censorship discussion that apparently the only reason there is an issue is a kind of anal probe weapon.
You ram it directly into their ass, lift them up, and then shoot them off like... well I just can't think of a decent simile, the mental picture is blocking my mind I think.
So yeah, if we lose that weapon, or that weapon is censored or something, I won't actually care.
But we shall see
2013-07-30, 3:02 AM #21
That weapon sounds terrific.
>>untie shoes
2013-07-30, 6:14 AM #22
Indeed it does.

How can anyone take these things so seriously as to censor them?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2013-07-30, 9:00 AM #23
The worst thing is, this is after we finally got the whole allowing 18+ rating thing in. They just altered the new law so it's almost exactly the same as the old.
The only difference is now there's a few games that fall between 15+ and banned/edited.
I especially think it's stupid that Mortal Kombat, a game banned for it's realism is now in unedited, and Saints Row will be censored because of it's over-the-top comical weapon.
2013-07-30, 2:14 PM #24
Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia...

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_ArlUWLV6wY/UfPFfvpx5XI/AAAAAAABVTQ/-yDvAzrkmUA/w426-h320/photo.jpg]
幻術
2013-08-01, 8:30 PM #25
how can you shoot a guy with a cat
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-01, 9:09 PM #26
Gameshark cartridge.
2013-08-02, 12:49 PM #27
only siamese are fully automatic
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-08-02, 1:58 PM #28
For my money, San Andreas is the best the series has to offer. Obscene range of vehicles, fun story, fun characters, quotable dialogue, varied and pretty environments, and fun gameplay.

-Note: That last one relies on you totally being into flight simulators. If you're not into flight simulators, you may (and by may I mean "almost certainly") will disagree with my entire assessment of the game.
2013-08-03, 8:11 AM #29
San andreas is about as close to a flight simulator, as wiping my ass with a piece of canvas is to a rembrant.
2013-08-03, 8:49 AM #30
But you fly and stuff and you know...
>>untie shoes
2013-08-04, 8:53 PM #31
It was at least well enough put together that I could use my HOTAS. I probably put 3-4 playthroughs into San Andreas.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-08-05, 5:38 AM #32
Originally posted by Deadman:
The worst thing is, this is after we finally got the whole allowing 18+ rating thing in. They just altered the new law so it's almost exactly the same as the old.
The only difference is now there's a few games that fall between 15+ and banned/edited.
I especially think it's stupid that Mortal Kombat, a game banned for it's realism is now in unedited, and Saints Row will be censored because of it's over-the-top comical weapon.

Seems Deep Silver finally reached a compromise with the Australian Censorship Board:

"The MA15+ version of the game will see an optional drug-themed mission removed to comply with Australian legislation.

The mission in question is described by Deep Silver as representing 'approximately 20 minutes of gameplay', and concerns the use of 'alien narcotics to obtain certain superpowers'. Its removal will allegedly not impact the game's story."
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-08-05, 9:46 AM #33
Haha, any substance you'd take from an alien would be messed up, but because it's a "drug" it's censored?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-08-05, 10:22 AM #34
so if they had called it... let say, a "serum" instead of narcotic it would be perfectly fine?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-08-05, 10:30 AM #35
Alien discharge.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!