Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 108 of 108

Thread: George Zimmerman was acquitted

  1. #81
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,177
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    I have
    No you really haven't.

    It's hilarious you bring up comprehension problems when you keep either willfully ignoring the story at hand or are just confused by it.

    By entering the garage, she had not successfully "retreated to safety" as a garage is part of the same house that the threat (her husband) was in.

    She quite clearly didn't feel she was out of harms way without fully leaving the house and knew that to get her keys to successfully leave the house she would need the keys to her car. Otherwise, how would she be able to retreat?

    What is confusing you here?
    "Literally the only way to leave a building is by driving away." - TSM_Bguitar, internet forums poster.

  2. #82
    George Zimmerman pulls family from overturned SUV in Sanford, news at 11.

    It's only a matter of time before he runs for public office!

  3. #83
    What a ****up. He just loves being a hero.
    COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

  4. #84
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    Ok... I think I MAY be able to clear up a little confusion between Jon'c and TSM_Bguitar... Maybe not though.
    Jon'c I don't know where the marissa case is at, but in California it is fairly common for a garage to have the bay door obviously facing the street, and the second door often enters into the house. If marissa's garage setup was similar and if her bay door only opened via remote(unlikely but let's assume) AND if the remote was in the vehicle she could have actually been physically trapped in the garage without her car keys... Again kind of unlikely since most doors that open via remote also have a doorbell style button inside the garage that also opens them. But still...
    TSM_Bguitar, I think Jon'c is arguing directly to the fact that SYG did NOT apply to the marissa case, not if what she did should have landed her in prison. (please correct me if I'm wrong here.) also I believe he is wanting you to read the written statement (which McLongname posted a link to) by the other jurors stating " that B37 shouldn't be treated as any kind of spokesperson for the jury as a whole." I also think Jon'c may have been suggesting that if you are in a life or death situation an your car keys are in the house with your homocidal husband then the pertinent thing to do may be to leave on foot and to hell with the car.
    Last edited by Darth_Alran; 07-22-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  5. #85
    TSM - You have no duty to retreat when someone is on top of you and slamming your head into the sidewalk. Thus, according to Zimmerman's side of the story, Stand Your Ground was a non-issue.

    I happened to be on break at work and eating a Caesar salad when the judge was instructing the jury before their decision. The instructions lasted for several minutes, and the "no duty to retreat" part was a second or two of that. Which is also the only time it was mentioned during the entire trial.

    Also, Joncy's point about FL requiring a unanimous verdict was that all members of the jury had to agree to the decision. Any disagreement or division about the outcome or verdict were thus settled during deliberation. It's a simple concept.
    It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.

  6. #86
    Boneless Chicken Wings
    Posts
    3,324
    joncy knows more about my state's laws than most well-informed cops and I think that implies that he is in the media's pocket.
    error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    "Literally the only way to leave a building is by driving away." - TSM_Bguitar, internet forums poster.
    "I would rather argue with a straw man than other posters" - Jon 'C

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePotato View Post
    TSM - You have no duty to retreat when someone is on top of you and slamming your head into the sidewalk. Thus, according to Zimmerman's side of the story, Stand Your Ground was a non-issue.
    Well yes according to his side of the story it's quite clear that SYG was applicable. The problem is that his side of the story was in dispute.

    I happened to be on break at work and eating a Caesar salad when the judge was instructing the jury before their decision. The instructions lasted for several minutes, and the "no duty to retreat" part was a second or two of that. Which is also the only time it was mentioned during the entire trial.

    Also, Joncy's point about FL requiring a unanimous verdict was that all members of the jury had to agree to the decision. Any disagreement or division about the outcome or verdict were thus settled during deliberation. It's a simple concept.
    Right, thus Stand Your Ground was quite an important part of this trial, as it is an important part of self defense law in Florida.
    Last edited by TSM_Bguitar; 07-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.

  8. #88
    About to lose his freedom
    Posts
    3,772
    Ok this seems to be flying past your head over and over again... From what I understand (again please correct me if I am mistaken) , SYG does NOT apply if you are in fact unable to retreat in the first place. That means it did not apply to the case at all, not to Zimmerman, not to Martin, not to my uncle frank. Therefor regular self defense and NOT SYG is what applied in this case. Stand your ground??? Not in this case!!! Does not apply! Not here, nope! No sir-ee! Yes, stand your ground IS part of a broader concept of self defense... But that does not mean that all self defense involved SYG... Like this case. It did not.

    So! One more time!!! Unable to retreat in the first place because someone is on top of you and beatin you pretty??? No SYG!!!!!
    Last edited by Darth_Alran; 07-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

  9. #89
    Imon, umon...everymon!
    Posts
    19,021
    NASA will be happy to know they don't need wind tunnels anymore, they can just use the wake of this point flying over TSM_Bguitar's head.
    Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

  10. #90

  11. #91
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,177
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    Well yes according to his side of the story it's quite clear that SYG was applicable. The problem is that his side of the story was in dispute.
    According to his side of the story, SYG was NOT APPLICABLE because he had no opportunity to retreat.

    ty for reading carefully.

  12. #92
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,792
    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scientifically proven.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	26545  
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 12:17 AM.

  13. #93
    Bah, HUMBUG!
    Posts
    13,278
    If they had gone for manslaughter instead of the much scawier second degree murder they might have gotten a conviction.

  14. #94
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,177
    But... but... my political aspirations!!

  15. #95
    Unwitting troll accomplice
    Posts
    8,218
    Oh, Jesus.

    Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Bguitar View Post
    Well yes according to his side of the story it's quite clear that SYG was applicable.
    How?

    Right, thus Stand Your Ground was quite an important part of this trial, as it is an important part of self defense law in Florida.
    Consideration is an essential element of every contract. It is not, however, at issue in every dispute over the validity of a contract.

    The tax deduction for home mortgage interest is an important part of the federal tax code. It is not, however, at issue in every tax case.

    Actual malice is a key element of the civil offense of libel against a public figure. It is not, however, at issue in every, or any, defamation case where the plaintiff is not a public figure.

    Now, do you understand what you're doing wrong here?
    If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

  16. #96
    Unwitting troll accomplice
    Posts
    8,218
    Bonus question: The state of F-U-topia has self-defense laws identical to Florida's, except that the defense of self-defense is unavailable in cases where the defendant used a knife longer than three inches to defend himself. Assume Zimmerman is being tried in F-U-topia instead of Florida. What result? If different, explain why.
    If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

  17. #97
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacFarlane View Post
    Bonus question: The state of F-U-topia has self-defense laws identical to Florida's, except that the defense of self-defense is unavailable in cases where the defendant used a knife longer than three inches to defend himself. Assume Zimmerman is being tried in F-U-topia instead of Florida. What result? If different, explain why.
    well duh, it's obviously different. zimmerman used a pistol. pistols fire bullets, which pierce like a knife. each bullet can travel for hundreds of yards, and a pistol can fire tens of bullets. that means zimmerman used a knife hundreds of thousands of inches long, or hundreds of thousands of knives each longer than three inches, and therefore zimmerman is guilty of murder a hundred thousand times because he is racist and also literally hitler.

  18. #98
    This thread is just vintage massassi.

  19. #99
    Unwitting troll accomplice
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by ORJ_JoS View Post
    This thread is just vintage massassi.
    This thread : the Florida Statutes :: Fizziks fun : the laws of nature
    If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

  20. #100
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    You forgot the airplane on a conveyor belt. I feel like that is entirely separate from fizziks.

    This is why you will always be a failure in my eyes.
    >>untie shoes

  21. #101
    Bah, HUMBUG!
    Posts
    13,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    But... but... my political aspirations!!
    The defense stood its ground and shot it in the chest.

  22. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    You forgot the airplane on a conveyor belt. I feel like that is entirely separate from fizziks. This is why you will always be a failure in my eyes.
    I'm still holding out for Sarn's contribution to all this.

  23. #103
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    I can pretty much sum it up for you: WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SECOND AMENDMENT REVERSE RACISM OBAMA SANDY HOOK CONSPIRACY!
    >>untie shoes

  24. #104
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    I can pretty much sum it up for you: I'm glad Zimmerman was acquitted because the person he killed was black.
    Fixed that up a bit for ya.

  25. #105
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Fixed that up a bit for ya.
    I think you're confusing Sarn with PedHead.
    >>untie shoes

  26. #106
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,792
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 12:17 AM.

  27. #107
    Bah, HUMBUG!
    Posts
    13,278
    Or hitting on a 14 year old in a more populated corner of the internets.

  28. #108
    This thread makes me sad I came to check on the forums about five days too late.
    -=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
    1337Yectiwan
    The OSC Empire
    10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •