Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post Your ****ing Desktop Part OO
Post Your ****ing Desktop Part OO
2013-07-16, 3:45 PM #1
幻術
2013-07-16, 4:00 PM #2
Why?
2013-07-16, 4:46 PM #3
So we can criticize each others' choice of start menu placement and other things that don't matter.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-07-16, 4:47 PM #4
And people who make shortcuts but don't remove the " - Shortcut" suffix. Seriously?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-07-16, 5:26 PM #5
Nah. I just like looking at pretty pictures.
幻術
2013-07-16, 6:02 PM #6
Such a pretty picture
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-07-16, 7:15 PM #7
Am I really supposed to post my 100+ wallpaper folder?
2013-07-16, 10:37 PM #8
Yeah I don't think Cool Matty wants me to post several dozen pictures in this thread.
>>untie shoes
2013-07-16, 11:01 PM #9
I don't care if it's a 'post the bottom of your shoe' thread--I'm just happy to see a new thread. However, my notebook is still in Germany getting repaired & there's an embarassing error message on my media center & I don't want to pause my downloads & reboot to get rid of it. I'll post something later...
? :)
2013-07-16, 11:12 PM #10
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Am I really supposed to post my 100+ wallpaper folder?

Quote:
[INDENT] Why? [/INDENT]

Quote:
[INDENT] Yeah I don't think Cool Matty wants me to post several dozen pictures in this thread. [/INDENT]

EVERYTHING IS LAME

NOTHING IS GOOD
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-07-17, 5:06 PM #11
[http://i.imgur.com/q7nHAJG.jpg]
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-07-17, 5:36 PM #12
here ye go
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-07-17, 5:46 PM #13
I'm warning you, it's messy

2013-07-18, 1:02 AM #14
STOP MAKING FUN OF ALL MY ICONS GOD YOU *****
2013-07-18, 2:33 AM #15
Tracer, Alan; Fallout FTW!
幻術
2013-07-18, 6:20 AM #16
I'm more astonished that so many people keep the giant-icon default for Windows 7/Vista. First thing I do when I install Windows is crank that back down to XP-level size.
2013-07-18, 7:02 AM #17
I'm more astonished that so many people keep the giant-icon default for Windows 7/Vista. First thing I do when I install Windows is crank that back down to XP-level size.

One of the things that I'm enjoying most about Windows 8 is the ability to use 'Search' instead of having icons on the desktop. It basically enables me to access applications the same way that I did so in Linux. I currently only have 2 icons on my desktop: GodMode & Recycle Bin.
2013-07-18, 11:07 AM #18
Originally posted by Mentat:
One of the things that I'm enjoying most about Windows 8 is the ability to use 'Search' instead of having icons on the desktop. It basically enables me to access applications the same way that I did so in Linux. I currently only have 2 icons on my desktop: GodMode & Recycle Bin.

This was a thing all the way back in Vista, and improved in Windows 7. It's actually worse in Windows 8 thanks to its INSANELY STUPID categorization system that requires you to consciously think about whether "Logitech Control Panel" is actually in settings or programs. Bonus points is that you'll search for something that's only under settings, and the default view acts as if there's no results (instead, it's under settings on the right, requiring additional annoying keypresses). It's probably the thing I actually hate the most about Windows 8.
2013-07-18, 11:14 AM #19
This was a thing all the way back in Vista, and improved in Windows 7. It's actually worse in Windows 8 thanks to its INSANELY STUPID categorization system that requires you to consciously think about whether "Logitech Control Panel" is actually in settings or programs. Bonus points is that you'll search for something that's only under settings, and the default view acts as if there's no results (instead, it's under settings on the right, requiring additional annoying keypresses). It's probably the thing I actually hate the most about Windows 8.

Ah, I missed the Vista (completely) & 7 (for the most part) era. I guess I haven't played with it too much yet--usually just searching for applications that I'm already familiar with (e.g. Firefox, Steam, etc.).
2013-07-18, 11:55 AM #20

Thankfully 8.1 gets rid of the categorization I believe, but yeah, search took a huge step back from Vista even.
2013-07-18, 12:11 PM #21
Originally posted by Mentat:
Ah, I missed the Vista (completely) & 7 (for the most part) era. I guess I haven't played with it too much yet--usually just searching for applications that I'm already familiar with (e.g. Firefox, Steam, etc.).

Yeah, it used to be way more convenient. It'd rank apps as the most likely hits, but you could search for files and settings as well, and they'd all appear in one list of relevancy. You could typically find anything indexable on the entire PC within 6-8 characters. Now it's still searching, but separates it annoyingly.
2013-07-19, 6:38 AM #22
I think my number one wtf with 8 so far is that the task manager by default isn't set to system modal. So the first five or six times that Planetside 2 froze during a day, I had to reboot the entire machine to recover until I looked up how to actually make it on top. Ridiculous.

On a happier note!
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-07-19, 9:19 AM #23
What do you mean, Dor? I think it's worked the same way since, ever, as far as I can remember. Task Manager never defaults to Always on Top.
2013-07-19, 4:23 PM #24
What do you mean, Dor? I think it's worked the same way since, ever, as far as I can remember. Task Manager never defaults to Always on Top.

I am nearly certain that in every version of previous Windows I've used, if I opened the task manager regarding a hung program it didn't default to opening up /behind/ the program I need to kill in order to regain control of my desktop (eg being able to alt-tab over to taskman even).
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-07-19, 4:36 PM #25
I can't see any shortcuts to Jed/Zed or JK... disappointing guys
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2013-07-19, 8:09 PM #26
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I am nearly certain that in every version of previous Windows I've used, if I opened the task manager regarding a hung program it didn't default to opening up /behind/ the program I need to kill in order to regain control of my desktop (eg being able to alt-tab over to taskman even).

Nah that has nothing to do with Task Manager, I've had that happen going all the way back to XP (and maybe earlier but I won't swear it), on ANY program you try to open. It depends on how it locks up in Windows whether other windows can show up over it. I've had plenty of instances where I had to move it to another monitor just to see it. Usually happens with games.

Hell, I've even had Windows's own "this program has stopped responding" window pop up UNDER the program, haha.
2013-07-19, 8:13 PM #27
Yeah, I get that too from time to time, on multiple machines.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2013-07-20, 2:17 AM #28
If I could have my desktop in a list format I would.

E: Oh wow small icons does look a lot better. I'd never even thought of that.
2013-07-20, 2:43 AM #29
Originally posted by Goit:
I can't see any shortcuts to Jed/Zed or JK... disappointing guys

Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-07-20, 3:01 AM #30
!

Dammit, Krok!

Oh look, a desktop thread! I wonder if FGR's desktop has something do with exploding planets.

[Unable to find specified attachment]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-07-23, 9:03 PM #31
I have a 1920x1080 monitor and a 1280x1024 monitor.

2013-07-23, 9:35 PM #32
Originally posted by Koobie:

Hey is this Oni?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-07-24, 3:41 AM #33
>> Hey is this Oni?

It most certainly is!

[http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/797170145_1359910159.jpg]

[http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1309/1243837-onibannere3.jpg]
幻術
2013-07-24, 4:51 AM #34
I remember Oni (the PC game), I dont think I ever got very far in the game but it was pretty interesting. Might be interesting if Bungie decided to remake it, although I hear there's an official Ghost in the Shell PC game coming in 2014.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-07-24, 8:09 PM #35
Two ZDoom folders because one contained saves from my desktop. GZDoom folder because I wanted to play the Project MSX beta. Alternatively, I just like running three different instances of DooM source ports at the same time. And I still don't know LaTeX as well as I should, for having a .PDF about it on my desktop.[http://i.imgur.com/pgnXUM4.jpg]
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-07-25, 3:50 AM #36
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Two ZDoom folders because one contained saves from my desktop. GZDoom folder because I wanted to play the Project MSX beta. Alternatively, I just like running three different instances of DooM source ports at the same time. And I still don't know LaTeX as well as I should, for having a .PDF about it on my desktop.

I'm glad you explained these things, otherwise they would really have bothered me.

So how about that Tor, while you're at it? Have you got something to hide? What's this data you're collecting about your father on Facebook? And whose address is that?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-07-25, 12:02 PM #37
Beep
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-07-25, 4:58 PM #38
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I'm glad you explained these things, otherwise they would really have bothered me.

So how about that Tor, while you're at it? Have you got something to hide? What's this data you're collecting about your father on Facebook? And whose address is that?

Tor because I was curious what all you could find on Silk Road (didn't buy anything). The dad on Facebook image is a picture of a dirty joke a friend posted, and the one and only person to like it was my father. And it's my ex-girlfriend's address, because she wants/wanted me to write her a letter explaining the breakup better. Still haven't sent that letter. FTL is Faster Than Light, too. Like the video game. DS Stuff is left over from when I actually used my DS flashcart. Shortly before taking the screencap I had A Clockwork Orange on my desktop as well, but I deleted it because I finally watched it. I thought the book was better, but it's a very good imagining of the novel.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-07-29, 7:00 PM #39

Because Star Wars.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2013-07-30, 7:21 AM #40
it has a curtain vibe to it.[http://www.designatives.com/desktop.png]
Pie.

↑ Up to the top!