Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Weird Tendencies
Weird Tendencies
2013-08-19, 4:27 PM #1
I wanted to create a thread to see what weird tendencies or habits everyone has. They may be things that are normal to you, but seem strange to others. Whether it be related to food, being obsessive about something, or anything of the like, let's compare and see if we can find people that have similar oddities!

• I hate onions and will painstakingly remove them from any dish that has them, yet I enjoy onion rings. Go figure. (This only applies to the ones with the really thin onions on the inside that stick to the inside of the batter).
  • I clip/bite my nails on a daily basis, I can't stand if there's ever any uneven surfaces around my nails. :huh:
  • Whenever I am prompted for an age verification on websites (gaming sites, or videos that ask for age verification) I always select whatever the initial date that is already plugged in minus about 50 years to make it faster.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2013-08-19, 5:40 PM #2
The last one is totally not a tendency. Statistically, everyone in the world is born on January 1st, (rand(1900, $curYear - 18)).

I have a tendency to do what I call "planned procrastination". I always do things in an order where I'll have to do the least amount of effort, which doesn't sound crazy until you realize just how far I go with it sometimes. Like planning down to the minute things like:

1. Let the dog out to the bathroom
2. Proceed to place leftover pizza in oven for lunch.
3. Go to the bathroom.
4. Check the mail.
5. Let the dog back in.
6. Get pizza stuff out, and remove pizza when the timer goes off.
7. Launch netflix/hulu and eat. I rarely watch television/videos other than when I'm eating because it's "free time".

I do all that, in that specific order, so that I have the least amount of downtime.

And then it's really crazy, because I get really bothered when something/someone wrecks my plan. I'll often put things off for hours/days just so I can do it while I do several other things, all at once, which aggravates friends/family a lot. :/

Anyway, that was long winded, but other things I do:

1. I only use two of my fingers for the vast majority of my typing on my right hand (and yet still manage a full 85-90wpm???). I can type pretty effectively with just my left hand because of it.
2. I still use the arrow keys for games where I can. Can't break the habit. I think I'm the only semipro-level TF2 player that does this. (WSAD doesn't bother me nearly as much as using the spacebar for any reason in games)
3. I have a really bad habit of forgetting names. I have to make a strong conscious effort to remember anyone's name, and even then I struggle with it. I could tell you every single thing that person told me, but not their name.
2013-08-19, 5:45 PM #3
This xkcd is mild compared to the some stuff I do while walking. Can't step on the diagonals extended from the colored tiles, those diagonals get one reflection off of the wall. All sorts of odd things regarding patterns for touching my fingernails to the walls of some buildings while I walk. Trying to maintain consistent patterns between cracks in sidewalks, and varying step length to keep it up. Specific orders for touching knuckles with my thumbs while walking and general fidgeting. I carry on conversations while I do all of this, it's pretty embedded at this point. I'll make a conscious effort to switch up routes that I walk between buildings too, because I don't want to be so ridiculously ingrained into a pattern.

I'm a firm believer that everyone has some sort of walking game involving tiles though.

Edit: Also really bad procrastination when I'm not in school. Putting off two hours of easy work for the length of the summer to read SA/Reddit/Youtube/Facebook/read a book/watch TV/play video games/listen to music/drive around/literally anything but do those two hours of work.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-08-19, 6:32 PM #4
I sleep with a motorcycle in my bedroom, which is on the second floor.

I've become increasingly anti-social since the accident. To the point of making sure I only see or talk to my room mates in person at max a few times a week.

I've been watching the same three movies over and over again for months.

I plan engine builds, buy half the parts, then never start the project.

I've been sober for 10 months (I'm an alcoholic). I constantly crave sugary drinks. My bedroom is covered in rinsed out mexican coke bottles, tools, and motorcycle parts.

Moreover I spend an unhealthy amount of time alone nowadays.
2013-08-19, 8:18 PM #5
I sing songs about things I'm working on/cleaning/cooking. Think Elan the Bard.
When I am determining what I need to do (eg when I get home) I always list out the steps out loud, and when I finish each step I say it is complete.
I talk to myself in the third person (always as "Mouse", even)
I fidget (stimming) with my face or necklace whenever my hands aren't actually required for some task.
Sometimes when talking to people I'm not comfortable with on a personal level (eg at work) I will close my eyes or look at the ground so that I can actually talk to them.
Sometimes in social situations I find myself pausing during conversations/listening to someone to try to determine what the appropriate emotional/facial reaction would be for something they just said.
I have a stuffed squid (Baron von Oddly) that my exgf gave me like 6 years back and he goes everywhere with me when I travel. (Not like, to work or the store or anything... THAT would be weird.)
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-08-19, 11:10 PM #6
I still post on Massassi.
幻術
2013-08-20, 4:14 AM #7
I freeze chocolate.

It makes creme eggs a ******* to get into but it's worth it.
nope.
2013-08-20, 8:26 AM #8
In the warmer seasons, every time I feel like jerking it, I go for a run instead for 1-2 hours.

Only time I eat chocolate is during exam weeks. I eat 70-80% dark chocolate bars before exam time. Brand is important though.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-08-20, 8:39 AM #9
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
3. I have a really bad habit of forgetting names. I have to make a strong conscious effort to remember anyone's name, and even then I struggle with it. I could tell you every single thing that person told me, but not their name.

Isn't that a normal thing? Especially women names for me.

I went through college giving people nicknames based on their personalities. And people responded better that way: "Joker? Oh yeah, that guy."
2013-08-20, 8:44 AM #10
Sometimes when I'm alone at home and sure that no one's looking, I like to dress up in men's clothing.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-08-20, 8:57 AM #11
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Sometimes when I'm alone at home and sure that no one's looking, I like to dress up in men's clothing.

That's weird.

Nude at home is the only way to go.
2013-08-20, 9:02 AM #12
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/fgrsad.png]
2013-08-20, 9:08 AM #13
Let's not forget FGR's affinity for large editing projects for games long past their prime.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-08-20, 9:43 AM #14
I can type pretty effectively with just my left hand

:master:

As for weird tendencies, I'm sure I have plenty and couldn't see them as such for myself, so I'll leave that to the Massassians who've met me in person to potentially mention.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-08-20, 10:15 AM #15
Geb's weird tendencies:

1. Perennial procrastination.

2. Compulsion to bring up the NeS to anyone who mentions a smidgeon of interest in writing, extending to the point that he urges friends to bring it up to their friends, if said friend mentions that that other friend has a smidgeon of interest in writing.

3. Loves to write essays (more or less) on topics close to his heart, including but not limited to: improv, NeS philosophy (yes, there is such a thing), etc.

My weird tendencies:

1. Twirl my hair. Been doing it my whole life, despite the fact that I am not a girl and do not have long hair.

2. Walking and fidgeting in funny patterns. It's a holdover from my OCD-diagnosis days.

3. Play Minesweeper constantly, obsessively, for hours on end, so fast that it's a constant and audible click-click-click-click that drives my housemate insane.

4. Talk to myself, repeating random phrases in funny voices that appeal to me because of the silly way they sound.

5. Overanalyze my likes and dislikes, e.g. what and why and to what extent and in what ways.

6. No life goals whatsoever.
2013-08-20, 10:25 AM #16
Al, for the ones you mentioned about me, the thread is called weird tendencies, not annoying ones. ;)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-08-20, 10:32 AM #17
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
My weird tendencies:

6. No life goals whatsoever.

Err
2013-08-20, 2:11 PM #18
When brushing my teeth, sometimes (though quite rarely) I'll sort of get stuck doing it and I might brush for up to an hour.

I often feel compelled to click the right mouse button for no other reason than to "balance out" the left clicking.

When checking the time, I'll often feel compelled to wait out for the seconds and/or minutes to hit a number that I deem satisfactory. Fortunately I don't do this with the hours, as that would be such a huge waste of time.

Often, when I encounter an English word that's either unfamiliar to me or whose meaning I just can't remember, I absolutely must look it up before I can do anything else. This has actually been one of my rare type of compulsions in that it's persisted throughout the past fifteen years or so. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying to feel the compulsion toward looking such words up, but it's of course educational to do so as well.

I have a myriad of compulsions (which I bet a lot of people would think of as weird tendencies, as per the thread topic), really, but a lot of them come and go. Even if I were to think about and try to list all of the oft-recurring ones, that would take a long time and it would be a very long list, so this brief introduction to some of my typical quirks shall do.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-08-20, 2:26 PM #19
Originally posted by Krokodile:
When brushing my teeth, sometimes (though quite rarely) I'll sort of get stuck doing it and I might brush for up to an hour.

Are you like, walking around doing other stuff? Be careful with this, brushing that's too vigorous contributes to gum line recession, and it's not a fun time getting the surgery to fix it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-08-20, 2:46 PM #20
Hey Baconfish, whatever happened to those guitar-building projects you had going? IIRC you were doing a jazzmaster and a blue strat. Are you still into guitar playing/lutherie?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-20, 5:02 PM #21
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
That's weird.

Nude at home is the only way to go.

Totally this. Every time I Googelface with Flirbnic I have to double-check that I'm wearing clothes first. Other times I'll just keep the camera at chin-level and not even worry about it.
2013-08-20, 5:20 PM #22
I jerk off. A lot.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2013-08-20, 11:06 PM #23
Originally posted by Emon:
Are you like, walking around doing other stuff? Be careful with this, brushing that's too vigorous contributes to gum line recession, and it's not a fun time getting the surgery to fix it.

Aye. To both. :( (though it's not so bad that I'd have needed surgery yet.)
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-08-21, 4:10 PM #24
i also have a tendency to completely disregard propa capitalization, punctuation & grammar for the sake of "lulz" when writing internet posts. ;) must be cuz i edit so much i need a ****in OUT of some sort ha.
幻術
2013-08-22, 1:14 AM #25
Originally posted by Tracer:
Hey Baconfish, whatever happened to those guitar-building projects you had going? IIRC you were doing a jazzmaster and a blue strat. Are you still into guitar playing/lutherie?

The Jazzmaster went on hold cause of uni, it's still a lump of wood in my garage.

The strat turned into this, but I sold it in bits because it was heavy as **** [13lbs!] and I just don't like strats that much.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Bokoski/DSC00087.jpg]

I took the money that I got from selling it and built a partscaster tele. I don't have any pics, but it's got a sort of Andy Summers vibe with the mismatched hardware. I love it.
nope.
2013-08-22, 10:31 AM #26
That sounds cool, you should post a picture of your tele sometime, I'd like to see it.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-22, 10:48 AM #27
Someone pointed out that anytime I have a bag clip, clothespin, or anything else I can attach to my fingers, I will sit there and pinch all of my fingers with the clip for hours to keep my hands occupied. Gotta keep that finger-skin tight, I guess?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-08-22, 10:51 AM #28
If I am cross my arms when you are talking to me, I am not bored or off-put, it actually means i am paying attention.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-08-22, 4:07 PM #29
Any time I'm waiting on water to boil in the kitchen, I always masturbate.
>>untie shoes
2013-08-22, 7:47 PM #30
Originally posted by Antony:
Any time I'm waiting on water to boil in the kitchen, I always masturbate.

This sounds terribly unsanitary.
2013-08-23, 9:56 AM #31
I subconsciously tend to put my face really close to the monitor when I'm on the computer (~6 inches), even when I'm wearing contacts or glasses. Probably a habit I developed back when I didn't correct my vision. My posture kind of blows partially because of this.
2013-08-23, 11:23 AM #32
Originally posted by Dormouse:

Yeah but his oatmeal has a certain je ne sais quoi kick to it.
2013-08-24, 5:57 AM #33
I have a really bad habit of forgetting names. I have to make a strong conscious effort to remember anyone's name, and even then I struggle with it. I could tell you every single thing that person told me, but not their name.

That's because, when you meet someone for the first time, you don't know whether you're going to be talking for 30 seconds or for several hours. Since you typically get told a name in the first few seconds, your brain hasn't yet decided whether this is a person worth remembering stuff about yet. What I do is, if I get to more than a few minutes into a conversation with a stranger, I say "hey sorry, this is really bad, but I've forgotten your name..." and they almost always admit that they've forgotten mine as well, then laughs and good times are had by all.

But honestly, it's worth learning to remember names, even if you have to go as far as keeping a notebook to do so, it's the single most important fact you can remember about a person.

And so ends today's Dale Carnegie seminar.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2013-08-24, 6:56 AM #34
Originally posted by Dormouse:

Nah, the boiling water kills the swimmers.
nope.
2013-08-24, 7:03 AM #35
I tend to look at the ground/floor when walking. Perhaps a part of it is related to general shyness, but mostly it's because every time I didn't do so as a kid in winter-time, I fell due to ... well, you know. you snow

Or actually (black) ice, but still.

Then again, it hasn't stopped me from falling down at least once each winter... meh.
2013-08-24, 1:08 PM #36
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I wanted to create a thread to see what weird tendencies or habits everyone has. They may be things that are normal to you, but seem strange to others. Whether it be related to food, being obsessive about something, or anything of the like, let's compare and see if we can find people that have similar oddities!

• I hate onions and will painstakingly remove them from any dish that has them, yet I enjoy onion rings. Go figure. (This only applies to the ones with the really thin onions on the inside that stick to the inside of the batter).

What about caramelized onions?
2013-08-24, 3:56 PM #37
I'm actually having surgery next week to correct it. but I have a" wandering eye". I go all shifty eyes because if it and squinty eyes sometimes in order to try to focus. It's really weird.

↑ Up to the top!