Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you thought that no one could screw up an idea as good as Superman versus Batman
If you thought that no one could screw up an idea as good as Superman versus Batman
2013-08-24, 11:13 PM #1
Think again.

I can't believe this hasn't blown up on massassi already...

I know the joke has already been made a 1000 times still: Matt Damon as robin using his goodwill hunting character... "ay when are u gunna let me drive the bat car".

Ok for real **** this casting call. Michael Fassbender is clearly a better option any day

Discuss...
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2013-08-25, 12:15 AM #2
Wow. So I guess you're that one guy everyone else has been complaining about.
2013-08-25, 12:15 AM #3
I dislike Ben Affleck as Batman mostly because he's already played Daredevil, and I can't imagine he has another 'tough/gravelly' voice in his repertoire. Some blind guy is gonna be thinking that Superman vs Daredevil is the strangest crossover fight ever.

Since I brought it up I would like to say that while DareDevil wasn't one of Marvel's best movie outings, I think it would be really cool if Ben Affleck got to play DareDevil as a minor part in related Marvel movies- like a Spiderman, Punisher, Avengers, ect.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-08-25, 1:23 AM #4
It's not the Ben Affleck so much as the Batman

enough with the Batman. make a movie about The Tick or something jesus
2013-08-25, 3:24 AM #5
You aren't owed anything as a fan of Batman. They can make whatever movie they want. It might be great, it might be terrible, but you deserve nothing. All these protests and petitions are childish bull**** nonsense.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-08-25, 4:51 AM #6
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1178046']It's not the Ben Affleck so much as the Batman

Agreed.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-08-25, 5:01 AM #7
Ben Affleck has played far more challenging roles than Batman. I don't see any reason that he couldn't pull it off.
? :)
2013-08-25, 8:29 AM #8
I like this casting quite a bit. I like it more that Affleck has signed a six picture deal, which likely entails (in addition to the Superman movie) two Justice League films and a new Batman trilogy. The likeliest scenario is that Affleck will be directing some of those films, which is fantastic news.

Maybe don't rag on something based on your preconceived notions of what it's going to be. It might be good. It might be terrible.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Ben Affleck's work over the last seven years or so. The guy has proven that he can act, and that he is a top-tier director. The fact that the Batman being portrayed here is supposed to be the veteran crimefighter who has been doing his thing for about 15 years is perfectly suited to Affleck's acting strengths. The guy is terrific at playing a character who is basically at the end of his rope, and doesn't feel like putting up with the bull**** anymore.

I would also like to address the idea that he supposedly cannot play another superhero after having played Daredevil. Yeah, all of the scholars who share this viewpoint should go let Chris Evans know that he can't be Captain America anymore. Oh, wait, no one is complaining about that anymore because he's so good at being Steve Rodgers that we forgot he was ever Johnny Storm.

I'll sum this up the best way I can. If you're complaining about this, then FAH Q.
>>untie shoes
2013-08-25, 8:42 AM #9
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-08-25, 8:51 AM #10
I'm confused. The movie isn't out, right? I didn't miss something? We're judging a well-known, good actor on a movie that hasn't even started filming yet? Jesus christ, must be a slow news week.
2013-08-25, 9:53 AM #11
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1178046']It's not the Ben Affleck so much as the Batman

then perhaps you will be pleased to hear about the upcoming ANT-MAN film
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-25, 10:02 AM #12
Good idea? Superman versus Batman sounds like a terrible idea for a film.

That said, I'm can jive with current Affleck being Batman if he keeps the beard. I wouldn't mind some Batbeard.
nope.
2013-08-25, 12:21 PM #13
I... have no idea how i feel about this. Affleck is fine as an actor, and honestly you dont need to be very good to pull off batman as batman, its more the Bruce Wayne side that i would be worried about. but like i said Affleck is a good actor so i think he should pull it off just fine, especially if he is portraying a slightly older Bruce.

My only hangup is that i dont particularly care to invest myself in yet ANOTHER batman revamp. but who knows, it might be worth it.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-08-25, 12:35 PM #14
I like that Ben Affleck film where the Canadian Caper didn't matter and Ame rica saved the day.
2013-08-25, 1:17 PM #15
Eh, I kind of agree with all the rage, seems like a horrible casting choice just to get him to direct. I even think he's a decent actor, but not for batman. Why is this character so hard for people to cast? I'm trying to remember a pick someone made once that was right on the money.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-08-25, 2:24 PM #16
Originally posted by Antony:
I would also like to address the idea that he supposedly cannot play another superhero after having played Daredevil. Yeah, all of the scholars who share this viewpoint should go let Chris Evans know that he can't be Captain America anymore. Oh, wait, no one is complaining about that anymore because he's so good at being Steve Rodgers that we forgot he was ever Johnny Storm.

I just hope he can bring something different to the voice. The 'acting' involved with Daredevil and Batman is like 90% voicework. (Ok atleast with Batman, Ben Affleck can practice his steely gaze).
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-08-25, 2:41 PM #17
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Eh, I kind of agree with all the rage, seems like a horrible casting choice just to get him to direct. I even think he's a decent actor, but not for batman. Why is this character so hard for people to cast? I'm trying to remember a pick someone made once that was right on the money.

Probably because these expert filmmakers for some reason keep casting actors who can realistically portray a chronically-depressed billionaire bachelor instead of casting the IRL rage-ninja non-character stunt doubles in a rubber suit the internet thinks the character is???
2013-08-25, 2:48 PM #18
ugh, hugh jackman can never play wolverine, he's too taaaaaaalllll. and patrick stewart is such a dumb choice for professor xavier, he's not even really handicapped. furthermore, by casting noted non-furry ben affleck I feel they are doing a disservice to the many batman fans with bat, bat-wolf, and bat-leopard fursonas and they should seriously consider hiring me for the p...

*catches a glimpse of sunlight through his black-out blinds*

*falls to the ground screaming, awash in flame*

REMEMBER ME AS I WAS: ANGRY ABOUT STUPID THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND

*turns to ash*
2013-08-25, 3:16 PM #19
I hate the new spiderman as I feel it's too soon, and I reckon I'll probably hate the new Batman. But obviously I'll go to the cinema and watch it, because that's what i do!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2013-08-25, 5:59 PM #20
You dislike something because of the proximity in time to something else that it came out in?

How about just watch the thing and judge it for what it is?
>>untie shoes
2013-08-25, 6:29 PM #21
Anyone else getting some sort of superhero fatigue as of late?

The only thing superhero related I'm looking forward to is new Batman game (but mostly for gameplay).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-08-25, 8:32 PM #22
i'll feel superhero fatigue when they start making movies for really obscure superheroes
2013-08-25, 9:13 PM #23
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Wow. So I guess you're that one guy everyone else has been complaining about.

Holy ****. Darth Xasthur is Ben Affleck?

Ben Affleck is a good director, sure, but I can't imagine anyone ever casting him for anything just to get him to direct.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-08-25, 9:18 PM #24
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i'll feel superhero fatigue when they start making movies for really obscure superheroes

Plankton-Man
Captain Bavaria
Bananatron

also ant man

The Swiss Avenger
The Angry Swede
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-25, 9:20 PM #25
Originally posted by Tracer:
Plankton-Man
Captain Bavaria
Bananatron

also ant man

and Tracer
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-08-25, 9:25 PM #26
what power does he have
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-08-26, 1:56 AM #27
Tracing stuff, obviously.

Someone has lost the keys to their car...this seems like a job for the TRACER !

Anyway, if he's really directing some new Batman movies, that'll be really interesting to see. As for the next movie, I don't like Batman vs. Superman as a concept even though I realize it's been done before, just not in a movie. Batman has been more rooted in reality, I realize it's not realistic but I mean the whole no superpowers thing. Superman was also always far less interesting to me as a character than Batman/Bruce Wayne. I'm sure it's entirely possible to make the movie work, but I can't bring myself to really look forward to seeing it.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-08-26, 5:55 AM #28
I'm hoping that since Affleck has signed on for 6 movies, that there will be some movement forward. I know I've said it before but: re-telling the origin story gets old. Many of these comic book franchises have 50+ years of material (granted most of it's probably crap, but still enough to get away from the origin story). There are awesome Batman villains that none of the movies have even touched on yet. Since it looks like Affleck will be playing an older Batman in the Justice League series, it would be a great opportunity to have the next Batman trilogy feature some of the later story arcs.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-08-26, 10:03 AM #29
ugh, hugh jackman can never play wolverine, he's too taaaaaaalllll. and patrick stewart is such a dumb choice for professor xavier, he's not even really handicapped. furthermore, by casting noted non-furry ben affleck I feel they are doing a disservice to the many batman fans with bat, bat-wolf, and bat-leopard fursonas and they should seriously consider hiring me for the p...

*catches a glimpse of sunlight through his black-out blinds*

*falls to the ground screaming, awash in flame*

REMEMBER ME AS I WAS: ANGRY ABOUT STUPID THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND

*turns to ash*

why can't i favorite posts
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-08-26, 4:22 PM #30
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm hoping that since Affleck has signed on for 6 movies, that there will be some movement forward. I know I've said it before but: re-telling the origin story gets old. Many of these comic book franchises have 50+ years of material (granted most of it's probably crap, but still enough to get away from the origin story). There are awesome Batman villains that none of the movies have even touched on yet. Since it looks like Affleck will be playing an older Batman in the Justice League series, it would be a great opportunity to have the next Batman trilogy feature some of the later story arcs.

i have to ask because i don't feel like wading through a bunch of crap... but has any press release specifically mentioned he will be bruce wayne or just batman?

*cough*azrael*cough*
2013-08-26, 4:57 PM #31
I just don't think he is the right choice.

I don't have anything against him as an actor.

I didn't like Bale's batman either. Infact, nothing about those movies felt like Batman other than that they happened to have Batman in them.

The animated flicks are really much more on point.

That said, Man Of Steel managed to do a take on Superman that didn't suck. It was awesome. So I have hope that new live action DC movies will stop sucking.
2013-08-26, 5:17 PM #32
Also, watch The Flashpoint Paradox if you want to see the most badass alternate universe version of Batman being a badass.

And Superman vs Batman already happened in Dark Knight Returns part 2, and it was ****ing killer.
2013-08-26, 5:18 PM #33
I dislike almost all superhero movies so I'm probably not one to comment, but even by my very low expectation of comic book movies, Superman vs Batman sounds like it'll be awful anyway. I have no idea why people are so upset about casting, casting is the least of your worries. The movie will be terrible whoever they cast. They can't have either of them as the bad guy so the plot will be horribly contrived to make it so they're both the good guy but somehow taking different approaches to achieve the final "good" goal where they eventually end up working together to save the day *yawn* there is very little they could do to make this movie good so let them have terrible casting choices. There might be a few fun fight sequences but don't expect this to be a good movie.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2013-08-26, 5:22 PM #34

There's a problem in that there's two characters that are the same person.

Bale: Pretty good Batman, but awful Bruce Wayne.
Keaton: Brilliant Bruce Wayne, OK Batman.
Kilmer/Clooney: Turrible all round.
nope.
2013-08-26, 5:34 PM #35
Batman is more of an antihero.

What the movies never really touch on is his fierce sense of individuality. He does things the batman way, and he gives no ****s if you don't like it.

Also have to remember he's killed two sidekicks now, let dozens of people die, but won't return the favor because although he is kind of a psychotic ******* he has a strict code of morals.

You forget that Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the character.
2013-08-26, 7:25 PM #36
I think Ben Stiller will do a fine job.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2013-08-27, 8:18 AM #37
I think there should be a Superman v. Batman movie where all the roles have been played by Ben Affleck.
2013-08-27, 10:37 AM #38
Probably because these expert filmmakers for some reason keep casting actors who can realistically portray a chronically-depressed billionaire bachelor instead of casting the IRL rage-ninja non-character stunt doubles in a rubber suit the internet thinks the character is???

That's the thing, though. I want to see an actor take the role who can play both the relentless terror that is batman, as well as the disturbed psyche of a guy who'd become batman himself. I haven't seen a single actor portray batman in either the way I had anticipated, or in a way I couldn't have imagined (like Ledger's Joker). I want someone who can shift between what I do believe Affleck is capable of, and something more akin to the disposition of Eastwood, which I do not think that doe eyes is capable of producing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-08-27, 11:30 AM #39
That's the thing, though. I want to see an actor take the role who can play both the relentless terror that is batman, as well as the disturbed psyche of a guy who'd become batman himself. I haven't seen a single actor portray batman in either the way I had anticipated, or in a way I couldn't have imagined (like Ledger's Joker). I want someone who can shift between what I do believe Affleck is capable of, and something more akin to the disposition of Eastwood, which I do not think that doe eyes is capable of producing.

"Ben Affleck is not intimidating."

How to communicate your entire thought process about the franchise without sounding half as pretentious.
2013-08-27, 11:33 AM #40
Batman isn't the character. Bruce Wayne is the character; Batman is just Bruce Wayne wearing a rubber suit.

Why does Bruce Wayne wear the rubber suit? To make himself more intimidating.

Why did you think it was wise, at all, to compare Batman to Blondie? Have you even seen Clint Eastwood movies? Or is that just your huehuehuehuehueh synapses misfiring while pondering big scary man

↑ Up to the top!