Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SteamOS Announced.
SteamOS Announced.
2013-09-23, 7:26 PM #1
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

So any bets? The best thing to happen to Linux in a long time or status quo this changes nothing? I'm wondering if it at least wont become the HTPC OS of choice even if it doesnt do much for gaming.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-09-23, 9:13 PM #2
Sell MSFT stock and Sony stock right now, the gravy train is over Gabe is coming to kill you all.
2013-09-23, 9:14 PM #3
Also the streaming thing, if it works well, will allow me to build a dumb desktop and then leave it in the basement while I play games off a macbook air or something
2013-09-24, 1:54 AM #4
Highlights:

Quote:
In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level.
Linux and OpenGL keep pretty thin layers between user and hardware for the most part. Valve was able to get better performance in Linux just by passing Direct3D calls through a translator (togl).

But then there's **** like this:

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Pulseaudio-diagram.svg/492px-Pulseaudio-diagram.svg.png]

I don't know how you can improve input latency, since you can already access input device streams directly, but audio? yeah that can use some work.

Quote:
We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.
I can tell you right now, it's Netflix.

Netflix has had internal Linux support for a very long time now. The problem is the media companies (just like everything else in the world, am I rite?) who felt that Linux was insufficiently proprietary. I guess slap a better logo on it and call it Steam-Os Breakfast of Neckbeards and suddenly it's ok.

Quote:
Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014.
Losing the AAAs is pretty much it for Windows on home PCs.
2013-09-24, 3:56 AM #5
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
So any bets? The best thing to happen to Linux in a long time or status quo this changes nothing?

It's a "game-changer". :ninja:
? :)
2013-09-24, 9:34 AM #6
:V
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-25, 1:54 AM #7
Please god I hope this tanks Windows marketshare (7-10% change counts as tanking) enough that MSFT stock takes a hit.
2013-09-25, 3:24 AM #8
Originally posted by Tibby:
Please god I hope this tanks Windows marketshare (7-10% change counts as tanking) enough that MSFT stock takes a hit.
Wouldn't happen for two reasons. First, Microsoft just earmarked another $40 bn for their buyback/stock price floor. Second, Wall Street investors generally seem to think the PC market is dying, so a shrinking Windows division would probably be considered a good thing and make the stock price go up.

I mean, once Microsoft's savings ran out there'd be a few executives hurtin but other than that stock price is pretty meaningless. Stock price only really affects a company when it's raising capital.
2013-09-25, 9:54 AM #9
https://twitter.com/ChrisPirillo/status/382607680424001536

Which is today. Note the "game developers" part.

Also Valve is announcing something else today.
2013-09-25, 10:10 AM #10
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

"Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world. We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS."
2013-09-25, 11:39 AM #11
Even if Valve/Linux can win over developers I would expect a slow transition taking 5+ years. Still I'd love to give away PC's with SteamOS installed instead of paying for Windows.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-09-25, 11:43 AM #12
It better be able to run TODOA.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-09-25, 11:44 AM #13
Quote:
Downloadable soon. Free forever!

Come play, my lord! Male gamers only. Enter at your own risk.

Anyway, if this pans out I might actually play a computer game for once (in a very long while). Unless it is dumbed down like the consoles.

P.S.: Have you guys looked at the specs for the PS4 and the Xbox One? They are almost identical, and they look basically like PCs.
2013-09-25, 11:48 AM #14
I hope SteamOS isn't as crippled as Android is.

Anyway, would be very surprised if Android ever took off in the high end gaming market.
2013-09-25, 11:51 AM #15
Even if Valve/Linux can win over developers I would expect a slow transition taking 5+ years. Still I'd love to give away PC's with SteamOS installed instead of paying for Windows.

It would be interesting to see how things would go if they were to announce a Half-Life 3 SteamOS exclusive. I doubt that this would occur but it would be interesting nonetheless.
? :)
2013-09-25, 12:16 PM #16
Starting from whenever they were able to convince developers, yeah.

Unless they handed over togl, which they very well might have.
2013-09-25, 12:18 PM #17
cf. the togl chat here: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/1bnaoh/valves_gdc_talk_slides_porting_source_to_linux/
2013-09-25, 1:35 PM #18
im torn between my unwillingness to go to reddit and my desire to learn about a cool thing
i chose the stupid option and made this post instead
2013-09-25, 2:20 PM #19
I think you're becoming a bit too comfortable with being an almost exclusively annoying poster.
2013-09-25, 3:19 PM #20
*Almost* exclusively?

I can think of a 4 letter word to describe Tibby. It begins with C and rhymes with hunt.
nope.
2013-09-25, 4:34 PM #21
If there's one main reason that tibby posts these arch, pointedly detached and snarky posts, it's probably because so many of us constantly harped on him over the past ... 5+ years? about being annoying and stupid. I'd probably affect a sarcastic nonchalance too if I knew I was gonna get slammed by everyone no matter what.

:-/
2013-09-25, 4:38 PM #22
Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I'm feeling at that exact moment in time.

Let's guess at the Steambox Specs, AMD or Nvidia??
2013-09-25, 4:45 PM #23
I think it's because he's spent too much time on 4chan and somethingawful and started trying to emulate those pricks.
nope.
2013-09-25, 4:50 PM #24
Do you mean the official prototype, or do you mean the hardware that'll be in Steam Machines? Because I'm pretty sure the answer to the latter question is "whatever the manufacturer wants".
2013-09-25, 4:59 PM #25
I remember when Tibby was Tiberium_Empire, and before that he was, er.... something else. I remember, but I don't remember.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2013-09-25, 5:10 PM #26
Mutantjedi.

He even had his own 911 fansite comparing it to biblical prophecy.
2013-09-25, 5:18 PM #27
No I started as "imsoshort" I think, followed by "Arthur Dent" for like, a week, and then Tiberium_Empire because I name everything after the media I'm enjoying that week.

also the official one, who cares about 3rd party stuff right now.
2013-09-25, 5:31 PM #28
Hmm. Adding him to my 'ignore list' doesn't do that much good since I still see his name when he posts.
2013-09-25, 5:42 PM #29
MANTLE

- Low-level high-performance console-style graphics API for PC!
-- YAY!

- Built by AMD in close collaboration with us at DICE/EA
-- Direct result of our discussions
-- Will be cross platform, very important for us

- Battlefield 4 is the pilot project & first user of Mantle
-- Gamers will get the absolute best possible performance & experience out of AMD hardware

lol.
2013-09-25, 5:54 PM #30
I read that wrong ignore me I actually looked it up.

How much did AMD pay EA for this.
2013-09-25, 5:59 PM #31
nothin probably, it's actually a big step up for console development since the 'old way' had devs using some proprietary machine-specific api. This unifies things a lot between the ps4 and bone.

The way you do high-performance, console-style graphics API is by disabling modern operating system security and virtual memory and giving games direct access to the hardware. so lol. basically the best case scenario I can think of is that it'll make it so any program you run would be able to overclock and fry your video card.
2013-09-25, 6:04 PM #32
MS-DOS and 3Dfx GLIDE in the year of our lord 2013.
2013-09-25, 6:23 PM #33
Thank god all that time spent perfecting config.sys on a computer will finally come in handy again.
2013-09-25, 6:35 PM #34
Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I'm feeling at that exact moment in time.

Uh, it's an OS isn't it? So isn't that like saying "Let's guess at Windows Specs, AMD or Nvidia??"?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-09-25, 6:39 PM #35
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I think it's because he's spent too much time on 4chan and somethingawful and started trying to emulate those pricks.

Probably, but IMO he started emulating the pricks here first.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-09-25, 6:41 PM #36
Originally posted by Deadman:
Uh, it's an OS isn't it? So isn't that like saying "Let's guess at Windows Specs, AMD or Nvidia??"?

Steambox, the Valve made one.
2013-09-25, 7:12 PM #37
Originally posted by Baconfish:
*Almost* exclusively?

I can think of a 4 letter word to describe Tibby. It begins with C and rhymes with hunt.

Wow! I didnt think anyone else had ever heard of a camelaphunt... o.O
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-09-25, 7:35 PM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:
- Low-level high-performance console-style graphics API for PC!

I get worried that some people overestimate the impact this has. Improved latency makes for a smoother and more responsive experience, but it doesnt work miracles. If I take an netbook atom running Win7 Starter and install an Intel designed Linux distro like Moblin it will feel snappier but it won't make the Atom perform like a desktop cpu. Benchmarks might show a few percentage points difference, but ultimately your going to get what you pay for. A $400 console or steambox can't compete with a $1000 desktop.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-09-25, 7:39 PM #39
Steambox, the Valve made one.

Oh, I thought you were just referring to.. well the thread topic really >_>
Not that I'm complaining about a slight alteration of the topic (especially since it's not even necessarily that), I was just confused.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-09-25, 7:45 PM #40
Don't worry I get confused all the time too, man you should see me sometimes.

↑ Up to the top!