Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Breaking Bad ends this weekend. Somebody spoilt my eggs.
Breaking Bad ends this weekend. Somebody spoilt my eggs.
2013-09-27, 6:20 PM #1
Spoilers on my plane, spoilers on everything. Spoil some eggs.

Will Walt kill all the nazis? Will Jesse die? Will Walts family somehow manage to get out just fine? Is Todd a sadist? Find out sunday on AMC.
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMVqUY4qoU

cm you literal hitler why can i only include one video
2013-09-27, 7:10 PM #2
I am not aware of any limitation on videos.
2013-09-27, 7:13 PM #3
I tried to add a second and it yelled at me, I dunno man.
2013-09-27, 11:44 PM #4
I refuse to watch any TV series without David Spade in it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-09-28, 8:42 AM #5
And I refuse to watch anything with David Spade in it.
nope.
2013-09-28, 12:25 PM #6
I don't know who David Spade is. I refuse to watch anything.
2013-09-28, 12:29 PM #7
Originally posted by Baconfish:
And I refuse to watch anything with David Spade in it.

(This seems like a good opportunity as any for a new avatar for you... dun dun dunnh!)
2013-09-29, 10:55 AM #8
Here's my spoilery opinion about what's going to happen:

I didn't think it'd be the ending, but I had always kind of expected the company to play a big part later in the show, because I first realized at the end-of-the-first/middle-of-the-second season range that none of this was for his family and instead the cancer was his regret for not staying with the company where they made money off of his brilliance, and the meth was his idea of taking back what was rightfully his and proving his worth and value. It's fitting that he's likely going to be, in my opinion, murdered by Jesse while he tries to punish everyone he thinks is responsible for his world collapsing. Walt's taking what's his from the man that's kept it from him, meanwhile the next generation, Jesse is going to give in and do what Walt taught them and punish the former generation that has become "the man" themselves. If Walt feels like his friends took his legacy from him, consider it from Jesse's perspective what walt has done to him, all in the supposed name of "Jesse's own good?"

This is my general opinion on the show that I gave for people who weren't really into it that I think would like it if it weren't about a science teacher making meth. I'm kind of only reposting this from FB here to piss off Jon`C, and see if anyone has a different interpretation?

Quote:
I just realized the reason I like the series so much is that it's a lot more like a cinematic book than a series.

The show is a tragic comedy, and does not glorify or celebrate an illegal lifestyle. The only way in which this show indulges the egocentric aggressiveness and domineering that is popular in modern media is in order to critically observe the psychosis of the modern American dream. It is not a redemption story, and not even really a cautionary tale, but takes the attitudes of the self-made man, capitalism, neoliberal compassion, and punishment to their extremes. The main character's determination to do anything he can for his family, despite this clearly hurting them, is a meditation on the family as we see it in America taking priority over the society's well being.

While this may sound liberal, I honestly don't know if it is. It may be criticizing the self indulgence of libertarian privilege, but I feel that there's a lot to be said for the politeness and disconnected sense of morality the "protagonist" of the story has. He's always felt justified because his intentions were good, even when he's been told that the realities of the situation are dire. This to me encompasses the whole of liberal and conservative politics in modern America, while also criticizing the disconnected practical conformity that we all take in order to appease the cognitive dissonance that the American dream was a lie.

If something in the early seasons of this show make you uncomfortable, about a character getting away with something, or a thing seeming to be glorification instead of observation, you're wrong. No, not every character is punished for their crimes, but every scene is later mirrored or commented on in the series. Furthermore episode names are starting to prove that a lot of the parallels in the show to old literature are intentional, and thus the contrast between good and evil, right and wrong, and the blurriness of those lines are incredibly important to teaching the viewer how they feel about actual morality.

The show has a hero in my opinion that doesn't represent being "right," but represents compassion and awareness unlike any of the characters, and this hero just happens to be a wonderful representation of the recently hip phrase "Generation Y." I think his struggles with addiction and morality are a direct and succinct representation, or a simile of what many people in our generation are going through. *****.

Seriously, I know it's a show about Meth, and the first season starts out kind of ironic and on the funnier side, but it's got a lot more going for it than watching a normal guy become a criminal. The show is about something, and is going to also teach you about yourself. On top of all that, besides some pretty low points in the 3rd season, in my opinion, the cinematics and writing are leagues above anything else on TV. There's so much attention to detail, from set design, camera positioning, mirroring shots from earlier in the show, writing lines to mirror other characters' ideas or exact lines, and word choices that stick with you long after an episode is over.

Every episode opens with a kind of cinematic poem that could win awards on its own. Some of the middle seasons' openers are a tad heavy handed, but when they're good, they're beautiful, and oftentimes sendoffs to famous directors. There's so much content in this show for nerds who love investing in shows, I cannot recommend it enough. I can't wait to see the finale tonight, and I'll be rewatching this show several times over.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-29, 11:12 AM #9
Oh yeah, two more spoilerish things about Marie and Meth Damon.

Also, Marie has become my favorite character as far as the writing staff's work goes for one single reason. She's the chorus, the R2 and C3PO. She's us, watching. I don't identify with her, and her story stuff is different, including the purple thing, but for all of my disliking her, she's become the most reasonable, grounded, and even moral person, despite being the modern equivalent of a social pariah. She's the modern person watching this ancient tragedy and is horrified. For all of the high concept ideas that are happening, she reminds you that this is taking place in the real world. Lydia also fulfills this role at times, but she represents more of the disconnected side of "us," surprisingly more than the delusional Marie.

Meth Damon needs a goddamned award for acting, by the way. I knew he'd be trouble, but some of the cold hearted **** he's done, also while being a naive little boy, and some of the nuance in his body language when he's doing these two things, is spectacular acting.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-29, 12:53 PM #10
Marie*
nope.
2013-09-29, 1:58 PM #11
**** thanks.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-29, 4:01 PM #12
TWO HOURS
2013-09-29, 7:24 PM #13
it happened

Welcome to the post-Breaking Bad world everybody!
2013-09-29, 7:50 PM #14
The finale made me feel kind of stupid, but at least I'm in good company. I don't know how every single one of us didn't realize at the end of Granite State that Walt had figured out the only possible way to launder his money.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-09-29, 8:33 PM #15
I honestly thought he just got really mad.
2013-09-30, 1:22 AM #16
I just finished watching. Initially, I thought I didn't like the ending. But now after its sunk in, I think it's quite brilliant.

Imo,
Walt had to die
Jesse had to live
Family had to get money

I think the writers pulled off a delicate task of appeasing a majority of the fans, regardless of any of my above opinions.
I got what I wanted. I wish it wasn't all so open ended but sometimes that's the best.
2013-09-30, 4:01 AM #17
What Squirrel King said, albeit I somewhat expected it to happen this way.
The way in which it had happened was on par with the rest of the show.
幻術
2013-09-30, 8:05 AM #18
+1 for Meth Damon. ;)
幻術
2013-09-30, 9:36 AM #19
I really liked the last shot and how similar it was to when he laying under the house laughing in season 4.

All in all I thought it was great all round. And best of all, Skyler lived which I'm happy about just to spite the ***** that want her to die for REALLY BAD REASONS.
nope.
2013-09-30, 10:08 AM #20
2013-09-30, 10:47 AM #21
Hmm. Too bad you feel this way, Reid.
This was one of the best shows I've ever seen, I think, easily on par with Rome & Firefly (genre difference notwithstanding).
幻術
2013-09-30, 10:59 AM #22
Frankly I'm just happy it's over so I don't have to hear about it anymore. Now if we can just kill off Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, it'll be a great day.
2013-09-30, 11:30 AM #23
[http://i.imgur.com/VCv9TxS.gif]
2013-09-30, 11:35 AM #24
2013-09-30, 11:37 AM #25
Maybe now Bryan Cranston can once again become Jerry Seinfeld's sadistic/perverse dentist.
2013-09-30, 11:59 AM #26
Originally posted by Reid:
It had an alright story arc and writing, but the characters were abysmal.

No show is worth watching when you hate every character.

Isn't that why Saul came in?
nope.
2013-09-30, 12:15 PM #27
2013-09-30, 12:58 PM #28
It was like a documentary on Hitler except you had no prior knowledge of WW2.
Sure, at any given point you would strangle him to death justly, but man- how far is he gonna go?
2013-10-02, 7:29 PM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Frankly I'm just happy it's over so I don't have to hear about it anymore. Now if we can just kill off Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, it'll be a great day.

Ohhh I get it. You hate things that people like.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2013-10-02, 7:42 PM #30
Him an angry, angry man.
2013-10-03, 3:18 AM #31
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:

Ha. I've been saying this for years.
>>untie shoes
2013-10-03, 3:50 AM #32
I thought the ending was kind of safe and boring :/. I would've rather not liked it and they did something bold than trying to please everyone and it just kind of petering out. My friend and I came up with our own version, and I had read a few fan versions before and after the finale online. The ones I didn't like were at least more interesting and creative and the only reason I didn't like them is because they betrayed my interpretation of the story moreso than their ideas being bad. I also felt like the editing and camera shots were all over the place in this episode, where some shots actually distracted me because they were so well orchestrated, and then other shots felt directly lifted from the middle seasons where things looked more idealized and set-like, also taking me out of the episode. Almost as if the photogs were paying homage to the show, in which case I can appreciate it even if it was a little jarring. Another suggestion was that they were using the various "languages" for each of the characters as a sendoff, which also makes sense in context of the way this show uses specific visual, audio, and dialogue cues to identify different characters.

Again, I didn't even find it bad, so much as it accomplished what it needed to without really elevating anything. My only real complaint is that Walt seems like he made some transformation in this last two episodes, but he never really earned it in my eyes. He is back in the hero's chair, and it seems forced. Suddenly he's admitting he did things for himself (a little meta for me), giving Jesse the "family" exemption that Walt has always falsely claimed, and doing things actually for his family instead of having pride [in regards to Gray Matter]. Because he stayed in a shack for half a year? Because Hank died? The sudden redemption just doesn't seem like it came from anywhere.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-03, 4:15 AM #33
I enjoyed every moment of the series. My expectations were low for the ending, after having experienced 'Lost' & 'Sopranos' (not to mention the non-ending of 'Heroes'), so I was pleasantly surprised. I also enjoyed the final episode of 'Dexter', which was a series that should've ended long ago.
? :)
2013-10-03, 5:46 AM #34
The series climaxed with Fring and this was all epilogue, that's my take on why the last few episodes weren't really... intense.
2013-10-03, 10:34 AM #35
2013-10-03, 10:47 AM #36
I think that's one of the most peculiar things to take qualms with. Maybe lying to and intimidating your wife is harder than lying to and intimidating cold blooded killers? Maybe he was trying to see if what he was saying would interfere with his plans? Maybe the actor was trying to give texture to the dry exposition the last episode [of any show will inevitably] has?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-03, 10:57 AM #37
2013-10-03, 1:56 PM #38
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:

Everyone hates things people like. Because there's always idiots who will like anything. :P
2013-10-04, 1:22 PM #39
I don't hate any media, I strongly dislike some things (Mass effect 3!), but I don't hate it and if people like then w/e good for them.
stop hatin'
2013-10-04, 7:34 PM #40
[http://www.gifti.me/i/4xfUlbaz.gif]
[https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/f25957254534e304ce9735a9c59b90aa/tumblr_mtu012FLSB1qdm5ngo1_400.gif]
DO NOT WANT.

↑ Up to the top!