Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → WIP rendering
WIP rendering
2013-10-13, 7:35 AM #1
showcase renaissance

here's a WIP i'm doing in my free time for a small proyecto @ work.

2013-10-13, 7:51 AM #2
That's the wrong coloring for DFLT.mat.

Superb!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-10-13, 8:53 AM #3
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2013-10-14, 9:21 AM #4
Woah. I've had no idea you did 3D work.
Pretty darn photo realistic! Really nice.
幻術
2013-10-14, 10:11 PM #5
Wow, I officially cannot tell the difference anymore. The only thing that even appears sliiiightly CGI is the corner of the couch closest to us. It's either the lack of fiber/texture density, or something to do with the shadows of the cushion on the base. Even that, I can't put my finger on what it is. Amazing work.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-15, 10:15 PM #6
Everything about this looks real. Nothing else I can really add. Superb work man!
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2013-10-16, 7:07 AM #7
Thanks, guys. I'm an architect, not an actual 3D graphics guy, so this is basically a skill I develop on my own time (not every project calls for renderings). There's any number of different styles, obviously, and many places to land on the spectrum of realism, though I tend to prefer realistic renderings as a tool to more accurately visualize a finished project.

I really like this style...

very physically accurate, but with certain embellishments or exaggerations to suggest a mood. I'm still very inexperienced in this but I'll continue to post stuff whenever I get a chance.
2013-10-16, 1:23 PM #8
You should use your three dimension skills to create a JK level: SABEROPUS' CITY
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-16, 1:41 PM #9
Yeah, I used to pride myself in being able to easily spot the difference between CGI and real life, and that baffles me. I wouldn't even be able to see the few things I notice when I zoom in if I wasn't looking for them.

I really wish I knew more about architecture to say anything relevant to your displayed skills here. I'm just enamored by the rendering.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-16, 3:09 PM #10
whoa, damn... that looks great! what software/tools are you using??
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-10-17, 9:17 AM #11
It's modeled initially in Autodesk Revit, then exported to Sketchup for some details that don't make sense to do (or are a pain in the ass to do) in Revit... then rendered w/ Vray.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! kIRBs, I'm not exactly looking for architecture/interiors feedback, I know this isn't really the place for it... but I do appreciate any comments on the image as its own thing... about realism, clarity, composition, balance, you name it.

Saberopusopolis will be my next project, Tracer.
2013-10-17, 9:25 AM #12
Okay: There's strange artifacting in the ceiling and I don't know if that's from the compression or your render. The floor tiling is more noticeable now to me. I think you could position the pillows without having to deform them at all to make them sit more realistically. The metal surface at the top left on the balcony near the skylight seems a little out of place, both in weight and texture that I associate with cheaper materials, it's partially how the light is hitting it. I also just realized it might be the same grating as the rest of the catwalk's railing, but it just looks funny at that angle.

I also couldn't get my wheelchair behind that couch and the window without scraping up one or the other, I demand you make it accessible! :D
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-17, 9:44 AM #13
I nerded about it in #massassi a few days ago, so I might as well post 'good job' here.
2013-10-17, 9:46 AM #14
Originally posted by saberopus:
Saberopusopolis

!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-10-17, 9:51 AM #15
I guess one thing I can suggest is being careful about conservation of energy. Lights need to put a lot of energy into your eye to bloom (it happens because incoming light illuminates imperfections in your cornea) so you'd only expect it on the brightest lit parts of a scene, or in that case it'd be very tight around the filament of a bulb. It sounds like it's a deliberate style choice though.
2013-10-17, 11:35 AM #16
Jon: That's a good point. I know that one thing that seems to sell an image like this, for me, is when the relationship between exposure and gamma correction hits some sweet spot... not sure if that spot is 'realism' or something slightly exaggerated, but I haven't dialed in on it yet. So in this image, it may be a style choice, but I would take a suggestion to tone it down seriously, because that style might end up being better.

I'll post the raw output to see if that brings anything to light. This was exported in HDR format and then toned in Photoshop, and that's also a process I haven't nailed down yet.

FGR: TODOA 2: TODOS?

kIRBs: The pillows/couch/chairs weren't modeled by me, they're from the 3D Warehouse... I do like it when stuff like that is done really well, but developing a skill for organic modeling isn't really something I can prioritize. You're right about the artifacting on both the ceiling and the steel plate at left on the loft. The anisotropy settings for the metal are kinda low... and the subdivisions for the ambient occlusion are set kinda low too, which is why the joins in the ceiling are a bit mottled. This rendering only took 15 minutes to cook, which is really quite fast... I'm gonna try and bump up the quality and see how long it takes. and Re: accessibility... it should be! When the doors are fully open, it'd be no dice, but open to about 30 degrees, you'd have 3 feet of clearance. Anyway, this is a private residence so ADA doesn't apply, you ain't the boss of me~... I promise any commercial projects I work on meet code :).
2013-10-17, 11:57 AM #17

Here's the 32 bit output w/ the default conversion to 16 bit. I'll repost the edit below for comparison.

2013-10-20, 11:43 AM #18
sabropus you beautiful ****
2013-10-20, 12:00 PM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I also couldn't get my wheelchair behind that couch and the window without scraping up one or the other, I demand you make it accessible! :D

I like that you mention accessibility in reference to the couch instead of the big ladder thing that appears to be the only entry point to the second floor/loft :P
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2013-10-20, 3:50 PM #20
Hahahaha, I thought about that when I first looked at it but you pretty much take that **** for granted. Getting around on the main floor of a house is the bare minimum you can hope for.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-26, 7:40 AM #21
That is unreal. I thought it was a photo when I first looked at it.
2013-11-26, 9:00 AM #22
messin' w/ some other stuff

this isn't a complete anything, but the pains of an empty showcase must be abated
2013-11-26, 9:48 AM #23
Originally posted by saberopus:
messin' w/ some other stuff

this isn't a complete anything, but the pains of an empty showcase must be abated

sabrops stap being gud at wat u do.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

↑ Up to the top!