Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Nar Shaddaa Loading Terminal.
Nar Shaddaa Loading Terminal.
2013-10-25, 6:16 PM #1
figured this would be kinda fun to noodle around with. The concept art and design is by Halucid, NOT me. just recreating and rendering it for fun.
It's still very early on, so it looks a little bland at the moment... and i think i need to make the hall a tiny bit narrower too...

Based on Halucid's art>>>
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-10-25, 7:14 PM #2
haha, nice work man. I thought about doing this exact thing earlier today. :)

Where are you gonna take this?
2013-10-25, 9:47 PM #3
lol, honestly I probably wont take it any further than just this corridor. If I somehow manage to have time and motivation I may try and add a bit more, but it will likely just be a one corridor "scene"
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-10-25, 9:50 PM #4
sounds cool... but what are you going to do w/ the scene? just build it? texture it? light it?
2013-10-26, 6:44 AM #5
Lol, whoops. Yeah, will finish building then texture and light, then maybe do a little bit of post processing stuff with gimp. But that would probably be about it.
2013-10-26, 7:08 AM #6
Impressive. Are you doing this in Blender?

As much as I enjoy that map & as beautiful as the concept art is, it has always irked me a bit that more attention hasn't been paid to functionality.

- The conveyor belt should extend to where the ships land & to where the elevator is so that the items being imported/exported don't ever have to be dragged.
- The ships should also be landing on landing pads that are attached to the catwalk instead.
- A elevator that scales the ramp, like the one used in singleplayer Nar Shaddaa, should be included to lift the items to the other elevator.
- A conveyor belt should be included on the second floor, to carry the items to their storage locations.
- The fuel containers should either be on the ground (why are they being held up?) or there should be a switch that allows you to lift/drop them, which would function as yet another trap, but at least it'd be a more practical one than having thermal detonators rolling around in a space station with fuel containers.

Anyways, like you said, this may not even turn in to anything more than this scene, but I just needed to vent those ideas for your consideration, just in case you decide to do more & to not stop at reproducing only what Halucid set forth to do.
? :)
2013-10-26, 8:48 AM #7
Yes! Only using blender right now, and Gimp for any textures/after effects n such. Would love to be able to render it in Unreal development kit, but my computer won't even run it. Blender is working pretty well for me though. It does a fine job for construction/modeling, also has a decent materials node editor for putting together shaders, and a pretty good internal render-er(rendering engine?).

Yeah, i know what you mean... the whole "loading terminal" portion of the map really makes no sense. like you said the conveyor belt does not extend out into the hanger bay, then on the other side it terminates in a pit?? and yeah, having the fuel on an upper level with no real means of getting it down seems... impractical to say the least. lol.
2013-10-26, 1:22 PM #8
sounds cool dude, keep us poested on your proergress
2013-10-27, 8:27 AM #9
Just a small update for now. added some more of the smaller details. sorry about the grainy shot, cleaner renders take a lot longer.
I'll post a better one in a bit.

2013-10-27, 10:45 AM #10
There! MUCH cleaner shot...
2013-10-27, 1:11 PM #11
Nice work... I guess this is some sorta monte carlo rendering method. How long did that last one take?
2013-10-27, 1:32 PM #12
looks good.

also all modern raytracers use multiple samples to approximate incoming light because its not really practical to do the double integral symbolically. its not necessarily stochastic, but random sampling is normally used in order to avoid obvious patterns.
2013-10-27, 2:03 PM #13
Hello. I have no idea what you just said.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-27, 3:03 PM #14
man this would look way better if it was in JA
DO NOT WANT.
2013-10-27, 3:19 PM #15
Originally posted by Zell:
man this would look way better if it was in JA

What!? you crazy.
2013-10-27, 4:07 PM #16
:ninja:
DO NOT WANT.
2013-11-01, 8:56 AM #17
Small update. started on some texturing. Not quite sold on the rust texture on the barrels. also added the floor grating, but it kind of feels like the "holes" in the grating might be too large.

P.S. I really hate that it turns all image files into JPG's... -_-
2013-11-01, 9:32 AM #18
Ooooh! I feel like the beams are a little out of proportion to the original image, but that texturing is pretty.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-11-03, 5:48 AM #19
I'm loving this.

Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
also added the floor grating, but it kind of feels like the "holes" in the grating might be too large.

I agree with you about the floor grating being off. There's too much space between the lines. A person would trip over those IRL.

Quote:
I really hate that it turns all image files into JPG's...

Are you talking about when exporting with Blender? This can be changedto PNG.
2013-11-03, 6:42 AM #20
Originally posted by Mentat:
Are you talking about when exporting with Blender? This can be changedto PNG.

nah, I did export from blender in .PNG format, but when the screens get uploaded into the forums it converts it to .JPG and BOOM artifacts e're where.
2013-11-04, 1:31 PM #21
still think the floor needs a little more work, but it's getting there.
2013-11-04, 2:32 PM #22
Very nice. What are you using?
I remember halucid's maps. He was (is?) wicked talented.
幻術
2013-11-04, 3:57 PM #23
Thanks! For all the modeling and rendering, I'm using Blender. then for the textures i am using Gimp.
2013-11-08, 2:27 AM #24
Damn, good to see you back working Alran. How was Basic?
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2013-11-08, 12:45 PM #25
Hey there! Basic was... interesting. Not nearly as physically demanding as i thought it would be, in fact i was in better shape before going into it. there was some pretty cool stuff though, fire arm training and the gas chamber were quite entertaining. I am in aircrew A-school now, should be graduating and heading back to California in early December.
2013-11-09, 12:15 AM #26
upload your screenshots to imgur or something if you wanna keep them in png
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-11-09, 1:05 PM #27
Ahhaaha! Thanks Alan!

Might be the last pic i post for a bit. will probably re-do some of the textures and mess with the lighting some more at some point.
[http://i.imgur.com/DxlOlg2.png]
2013-11-11, 3:36 PM #28
That looks awesome!
2013-11-11, 6:45 PM #29
how long do these renderings take, btw?
2013-11-11, 7:52 PM #30
Just a fun little add-on, possible for future use.

[http://i.imgur.com/fnRFaQ3.png]
2013-11-11, 8:09 PM #31
Originally posted by saberopus:
how long do these renderings take, btw?

Well, I'm using a 2009 hp laptop with now video card, it takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to do a render like the last shot I posted of the hallway. It largely depends on how many light sources and reflective surfaces I am using though.
2013-11-11, 11:51 PM #32
Looking good. Is that most recent image your rendition of the little walls in the hangar? If so, I like it. It's looking great--just needs a little more Two-Onebee.
2013-11-12, 8:28 AM #33
Yeah, that last thing is an idea for one of the m2 heater things.
2014-04-08, 11:31 AM #34
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
Ahhaaha! Thanks Alan!

Holy **** that's pretty
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!