Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → F.D.A. to ban trans fat
F.D.A. to ban trans fat
2013-11-07, 8:08 PM #1
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/health/fda-trans-fats.html?_r=1&

This is actually fairly significant news for America, it's probably the first time in my life that I can remember where the F.D.A. did it's job for the public
2013-11-07, 9:01 PM #2
Yea. this will change things. /sarcasm

Nope.

I applaud making things that are inherently unhealthy illegal. But how does that change the behavior of people that do things that are unhealthy?
2013-11-07, 9:16 PM #3
This is a huge precedent, because for the last 30 the FDA was reluctant to ban, well, anything.
2013-11-07, 10:59 PM #4
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Yea. this will change things. /sarcasm

Nope.

I applaud making things that are inherently unhealthy illegal. But how does that change the behavior of people that do things that are unhealthy?

Uh? Why should it have to? We're talking something akin to banning lead in food, in kind if not necessarily in degree. The "people that do things that are unhealthy" will be better off as a result without changing any behavior at all.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-11-07, 11:17 PM #5
It will change the congestive heart failure behavior of people that do things that are unhealthy.
2013-11-08, 7:04 AM #6
I must say that it's nice to belong to a community where there's no tea-baggers complaining about the government taking away our freedom to consume unhealthy amounts of primarily artificial fat.
? :)
2013-11-08, 7:59 AM #7
Well anyone can reserve the right to be a dumbass
2013-11-08, 8:18 AM #8
[QUOTE= Some tea-bagger] The FDA should stay out of peoples lives and stop trying to control what we do and what we eat. If I want to clog my arteries... I should have the right to do that without some hack government bureaucracy like the FDA controlling our lives.

After allowing these fats for 50 years now the FDA is going to outlaw these fats?
This is ridiculous and the FDA is a waste of taxpayer money and is a corrupt organization that serves big pharma. [/QUOTE]

2nd highest rated comment on the article.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2013-11-08, 8:29 AM #9
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/fgrburger.png]
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/burgernyum.png]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-11-08, 8:31 AM #10
Indeed.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2013-11-08, 2:25 PM #11
FGR: My friend and i beat Bad Dudes the other day. now i know where your Ronnie pic came from.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-11-08, 3:23 PM #12
this one. I dunno, i have a hard time caring about it one way or the other. I guess the end result is that it is beneficial that people will not be consuming trans-fat. I dont eat much in the way of processed food so it really does not affect me much, but thats kind of neither here nor there.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-11-09, 1:24 AM #13
Originally posted by Ford:
FGR: My friend and i beat Bad Dudes the other day. now i know where your Ronnie pic came from.

Yeah, it's quite the fun game with a crazy-arse premise. Hooray for burgers with Ronnie!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-11-09, 1:44 AM #14
This can't happen quickly enough here in Finland, as well. I don't see it happening any time soon though, because trans fat isn't really even talked about for some reason. I hope this American action will push us to pay more public attention to the issue.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!