Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Checkpoint: Are you doing what you wanted to do?
Checkpoint: Are you doing what you wanted to do?
2013-11-07, 11:23 PM #1
While hunting for the infamous Cloud teacher story, I happened upon the thread "What's your career choice?" from 2004. It's interesting to see what's changed and what's stayed the same:

saberopus: "I'm interested in architecture and such... it's not a 'choice' at this point though." -- now makes awesome interior renderings
Emon: "Me, personally, I'm thinking about graphics and game programming, perhaps design, but moreso programming." -- now programs for Xbox

1. What do you do now?
2. What did you think you'd be doing now back in 2004?
3. What did you think you'd be doing now back when you joined Massassi?

As for me:

1. Program management for enterprise search
2. International business or tech
3. Astrophysics, philosophy, or tech (2001)

Hope all's well!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2013-11-07, 11:44 PM #2
2013-11-08, 12:09 AM #3
**** no.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2013-11-08, 12:20 AM #4
1. Compilers
2. Compilers
3. Using compilers???
2013-11-08, 12:25 AM #5
2013-11-08, 12:26 AM #6
1. Government*
2. Something media related
3. Something gaming related

Oh, and as far as "am I doing what I wanted to do", not really. Wouldn't want to do anything media and/or gaming related either any more.

* = As I am employed by and receive my salary from a Finnish governmental entity and not the city/county (municipality) or anything, I can legitimately say this.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-11-08, 12:26 AM #7
2013-11-08, 5:18 AM #8
... wish I could say I do. Far, far from it. :(
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2013-11-08, 6:44 AM #9
1. I'm working my way through various restaurant jobs with the long-term aim of opening my own. I started off as a dishwasher & worked my way up to kitchen manager while in the states & here in Paris I'm focusing on cuisine.
2. In 2004 I was studying computer programming at a community college & hoped to eventually do that for a living. I graduated in 2005 and worked as a senior repair technician & as a director of information technology.
3. I discovered computers not long before I discovered Massassi, so I probably thought that I'd eventually work with them as a career. It's difficult to remember back that far (we're talking 1998/1999--I was out of high school but wasn't sure about going to college).

To answer the question in the title, yes, I'm doing one of the many things that I'd like to do in life. I've already done several of the things that I wanted to do & will likely do several others before I'm dead, but as far as a career, I'm not really one of those people that will settle for any particular thing--I intend to do several things, as I already have. This sort of lifestyle isn't for everyone, but it suits me just fine. If I fail at my current goal (we'll know pretty soon), it won't be the first time, & I'll just move on to the next thing. At least I've learned to cook a decent meal.
? :)
2013-11-08, 6:46 AM #10
This is a great thread. Here's mine:

1. Advertising, specifically brand management at the largest independent advertising agency in the US.
2. In 2004, I was still a junior in high school. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I was leaning toward graphic design. So in essence, I'm not doing that, but there's enough graphic design that comes into play in advertising that I'm around it all the time, so that makes me happy enough.
3. Probably something in the video game industry. I always thought that would be the coolest thing in the world, then as I got older I realized that this was not really as glamorous as it seems to a kid, and that the field was incredibly competitive and there were too many people far more talented than myself to do the job.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2013-11-08, 6:54 AM #11
I actually did go into architecture. Rendering is just a relevant skill that I'm trying to develop. I didn't realize I'd said that as far back as 2004, hmmm.
2013-11-08, 7:53 AM #12
1. Web Design
2. Web Design
3. Filmmaking or Visual Effects
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2013-11-08, 9:02 AM #13
Huh, I'm surprised I didn't reply in the old thread.

EDIT: Using original post's format:
1. What do you do now?
Software testing for a K-12 online school system.2. What did you think you'd be doing now back in 2004?
Something in the gaming industry. See below.
3. What did you think you'd be doing now back when you joined Massassi?
Same as #2

Well, if I had, it likely would have said something like the following:
1) Get a job in video game development as an artist/animator, designer, writer, and/or whatever.
2) Publish a fictional work (I may have suggested it be related to the NeS at the time).

Since then:
1)There's quite a few things:
a) Animation fell through. I had neither the drive to succeed in my college program for it. While ultimately it's only a portfolio that matters, I didn't have the skills either to advertise based primarily on my art skills.
b) I did end up taking at least one good gameplay design class and generally getting better with skills related to gameplay design.
c) I received my extended minor in writing (they didn't offer it as a major) with a major in what's essentially communications. I'd like to think I have at least competency in that regard.
d) I did end up taking up a job doing outsource testing for all sorts of platforms in the swath of the past generation (pre-smartphone & smartphone mobile, Wii, 360, PS3, PSP, PC/Steam). A lot of it had to do with certification testing, though there were a few that were more in-depth, with at least one being late-alpha/early-beta. It was a near-minimum wage job with terrible hours, though apart from one game client, I typically enjoyed all the games I tested, crappy or not.

Ultimately, with 1, I'm not in the career I had hoped to be, mostly by choice. There's a lot of factors that added up for me deciding that the video game industry is too unstable for me to be able (or want) to want to currently continue as a career. At this time, I'm a software tester for a K-12 online school system. I honestly still struggling in some part with my choice at this time.

2) At this time, I'm attempting a shotgun approach to tackling a variety of short stories. We'll see what comes of that.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-11-08, 10:42 AM #14
"I want a career that doesn't involve staring at a computer all day. I hate to see what harmful or depressing effects a computer screen does to a person after a long time. Hell, I'll do biology."

Screw biology, and that was a stupid comment.

1)Civil Engineering, leaning toward Geotechnical Engineering part of it

2)Architecture

3)Architecture, I think
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2013-11-08, 1:06 PM #15
1. Postgrad Student
2. Had no idea
3. Same year
nope.
2013-11-08, 2:39 PM #16
1. Working on a BBA in accounting, with a minor in Econ. working essentially full time at a retail establishment processing peoples photos.
2. Something vaguely photography related. This was around the time that i realized i didn't have the talent or ambition. but i do have many skills i wouldn't otherwise have.
3. Work for NatGeo (2000)
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-11-08, 5:10 PM #17
NOT EVERYONE GETS TO BE HAPPY.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-11-08, 5:26 PM #18
1. Organize clincial rotations for nursing students
2. Nursing
3. I'm pretty sure I joined in 2004 so....nursing!
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2013-11-08, 5:37 PM #19
Hey this thread is neat.

1. Elementary school music teacher
2. Something music related
3. VIDEO GAME MAKER

I realized that software development was not for me after trying to do several of those massive "Teach yourself C++/DirectX/3D Game Programming" tomes. I couldn't even get it together to make a JK level. Music is much better. :)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-11-08, 7:36 PM #20
1. Software development
2. Software development (had already started "professionally" in ~2002)
3. Had no idea. Knew I didn't want to be in the military anymore, but was completely intimidated by computer programming since I almost failed a Pascal class and swore I'd never bother with it again.

I'm definitely doing what I said long ago that I'd never want to be doing. I'm not 100% happy in my job but it pays very well and I work from home 3-4 days a week and it supports all the hobbies I really like to do. That said, I've been seriously considering going back to school for mechanical engineering.
2013-11-08, 7:54 PM #21
1. Systems Analyst/Programmer - mostly web development right now, though
2. Probably something music-related at that point
3. I was like 13 when I joined in 2000. I'm guessing either something with music or computers.
2013-11-08, 10:01 PM #22
1. Attorney
2. Didn't know
3. Didn't know

I am pretty much literally everyone in my profession between the age of 25 and 30.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-11-09, 8:21 AM #23
I work at Walmart. I failed at life.
2013-11-09, 9:28 AM #24
1. Electrical Engineer doing boring systems integration type stuff.
2/3. Fighter Pilot

Stupid Genes.
2013-11-09, 9:30 AM #25
1-3. Sysadmin
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2013-11-09, 1:45 PM #26
1. Naval Air Crew.
2. something web design related or music related probably.
3. I have no idea O.o pretty sure i was still in high school when i joined, so i likely had absolutely 0 ambition for finding a career.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-11-09, 5:16 PM #27
1. Studying to get a degree in Electrical Engineering/Physics. EE degree with basically an entire undergrad physics curriculum under my belt by spring 2015.
2. I wanted to program, probably video games, so studying CS or something.
3. I wanted to make video games, so studying CS or something (2001ish) :D

3 years ago if you told me I'd be a hardware guy I wouldn't have believed you. Now I couldn't imagine doing anything other than E&M work in ECE (antenna design, optics) or E&M/Quantum physics. Trying to decide between physics, optics, and ECE for graduate school (Fall 2015). Probably going to apply to all three and decide based on where I get in, offers for money, and MS/PhD decision as well.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2013-11-13, 9:16 PM #28
I didn't do this in 04?. Odd. Actually, I was planning my wedding around that time, so not surprising.

1) Computer technician for a school corp
2) Working with computers, goal of network administrator or network security (Still working towards that, btw)
3) Professional wrestler. Actually doing this, but not on a national scale.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2013-11-14, 1:17 PM #29
Mr. Nice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Marks) wished me the best of luck in my literary endeavors when I was at Cannafest in Prague over the weekend, so it can't be all that bad, can it? ;)
幻術
2013-11-14, 5:35 PM #30
1. automotive service
2. rule the world with an iron fist
3. back in 98? probably thought i'd be rocking out
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-11-14, 5:43 PM #31
Really, all I've ever wanted out of life is to have a job where no one bothers me, have a good woman, and have enough money to build a hot rod.

1. Work in a warehouse. Have very little actual responsibility and no one bothers me.
2. Have awesome girlfriend.
3. Building Mustang.

Good enough. A decade ago I was still doing everything my father told me to do, and self medicating with tons of liquor and drugs. Don't really have any of those issues anymore.
>>untie shoes
2013-11-14, 6:01 PM #32
>>1. What do you do now?

I work as a low-level manager for a giant software corporation. I write stories and live my life trying to make sense of it all.

>>2. What did you think you'd be doing now back in 2004? What did you think you'd be doing now back when you joined Massassi?

As far as jobs go, I think I thought I'd do something related to web design as I had some minimal ability at the time (I knew how to use Frontpage, Flash & Fireworks, ZOMG). I thought I'd still be writing stories, but didn't think it'd be something I'd ever consider as a career choice. I was just venting teenage angst in stories about serial killers, civil unrest and things of the like. Though I wrote a couple of humorous pieces too, influenced by Terry Pratchett whom I was reading a lot of at the time. To be fair, I can't really write humor anymore... And I couldn't force myself to read Terry Pratchett again for years. I think the whole marriage-kids-divorce thing that I had between then and now messed with my sense of humor somewhat. Riiiiiight. So. Web design.

I passed an interview at a web design company a friend arranged for me, and got drunk the very same evening so much that I missed going in and signing the contract the next day. This was how my phone agent career began 6 years ago... But I continue to write stories and live my life trying to make sense of it all.

Also, I'm on a 3 week vacation and procrastinating instead of writing my trip report to the Biggest International Hemp Fair in Europe. ;)
幻術
2013-11-14, 6:09 PM #33
2muchemotionheh
幻術
2013-11-22, 6:27 AM #34
I took what I think is another step forward this week by accepting a job as a tapas chef for a hip cocktail bar in Paris that has built quite the reputation. I'm completely alone--which is nice--I get to design my own tapas menu (though I'm certainly attempting to utilize existing ingredients) & though it gets a bit busy on weekends, it's not too fast-paced/stressful--which is good since I'm a bit green.
? :)
2013-11-22, 7:01 AM #35
1) Trying to be an electrician (well, domestic installer) while still looking to train further. With the no money I have.
2) Probably laboratory work of some kind.
3) SCIENCE!
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2013-11-22, 8:23 AM #36
Curious about how you start doing installations. I built a garage on my property and did the wiring myself. I read a book about it and had my brother give me some pointers (and he helped with the breaker box). Driving 2 8' ground rods into the ground around here (full of rocks & hard clay) wasn't any fun at all. I did it myself because the quotes I got were way high, like ~$2000 to wire a garage with boxes for receptacles & lights. I ended up spending about $500 on materials. The work took some number of weeks (working on it after work at night) but I wasn't in any hurry and it was actually pretty fun most of the time.
2013-11-22, 4:27 PM #37
Originally posted by - Tony -:
1) Trying to be an electrician (well, domestic installer) while still looking to train further. With the no money I have.

Welp, you'll be rich one of these days. It's funny, because I think electricians are going to end up making more money than EEs.

Originally posted by Brian:
Curious about how you start doing installations. I built a garage on my property and did the wiring myself. I read a book about it and had my brother give me some pointers (and he helped with the breaker box). Driving 2 8' ground rods into the ground around here (full of rocks & hard clay) wasn't any fun at all. I did it myself because the quotes I got were way high, like ~$2000 to wire a garage with boxes for receptacles & lights. I ended up spending about $500 on materials. The work took some number of weeks (working on it after work at night) but I wasn't in any hurry and it was actually pretty fun most of the time.

I would think that the DIY approach to learning to be an electrician would be a bad idea. It's very dangerous. A fellow in my graduating class killed himself doing house wiring.
2013-11-22, 4:55 PM #38
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I would think that the DIY approach to learning to be an electrician would be a bad idea. It's very dangerous. A fellow in my graduating class killed himself doing house wiring.
It's safe as long as you follow the code and stick to running 120V 15/20A circuits. Any more than that (like installing a service :gonk:) and you really should hire an electrician.

You have to pull a permit for that sort of work. So you might as well make sure the inspector only has to come out once, right?

...Assuming you get a permit. :gonk:
2013-11-22, 5:25 PM #39
I pulled service from my existing (house) box, through an exterior wall, down through conduit in the ground, into a panel in the garage. 60A. My brother did the hookup and everything was inspected/approved. It doesn't seem that complicated to me. Make sure you don't touch live wires. Can be dangerous since even when the main is off, there are still places with juice in the box, but as long as you're careful it's not too bad. I was expecting it to be more difficult than it was.

Around here you need a permit for any new circuits at all, not just new service.
2013-11-22, 6:48 PM #40
Before I could talk I had PVC fittings in my playpen and had fun screwing them together to make things.

In elementary school I spent my free time playing with pipes in the backyard, I loved to build random pipe networks and hook the hose up and watch water flow to various outlets. Everybody said "That kid needs to be an engineer."

I now have a BS in civil engineering with a background in water resources and am currently getting my MS in environmental engineering. I do design and plumbing work on various water and wastewater treatment pilot studies and research projects here at Davis.

↑ Up to the top!