Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Veterans Day
Veterans Day
2013-11-11, 9:58 PM #1
“Oh, it’s just so damn cheap, so damn typical.” I said, “This used to be a day in honor of the dead of World War One, but the living couldn’t keep their grubby hands off of it, wanted the glory of the dead for themselves. So typical, so typical. Any time anything of real dignity appears in this country, it’s torn to shreds and thrown to the mob.”
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-11-11, 10:55 PM #2
this
2013-11-12, 11:56 AM #3
?
nope.
2013-11-12, 11:58 AM #4
CHERNOBYL VETERANS
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-11-12, 12:15 PM #5
In the US we have Veterans day holiday to honor all vets and we have Memorial day holiday to honor vets that died in war. What's the problem? What I find frustrating is how many Americans:

1. Don't know which is which or what day they are on
2. Don't know what they are for
3. Only see them as an opportunity to get a new mattress or big screen TV on markdown

:colbert:
2013-11-12, 12:27 PM #6
I think they changed it to Veteran's Day because people couldn't spell Armistice Day.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-11-12, 12:43 PM #7
Armistice Day was about WWI specifically... veterans day is about all veterans. In general you could say the same thing about ANY holliday in the U.S. though, it all boils down to booze and buying new T.V.'s
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-11-12, 12:57 PM #8
Except that they changed Nov. 11 from Armistice Day (The the war was over) to Veteran's Day. There is no holiday just for WWI now. :-P
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-11-12, 3:36 PM #9
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, I'm gonna rule this world, Gonna kick some ass, Gonna rise up, Kick a little ass, ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!
>>untie shoes
2013-11-14, 11:15 PM #10
Valentine's Day > Veteran's Day
幻術
2013-11-15, 2:20 AM #11
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
In the US we have Veterans day holiday to honor all vets and we have Memorial day holiday to honor vets that died in war. What's the problem? What I find frustrating is how many Americans:

1. Don't know which is which or what day they are on
2. Don't know what they are for
3. Only see them as an opportunity to get a new mattress or big screen TV on markdown

:colbert:

The problem is that we had a holiday to commemorate the end of the worst armed conflict the world had ever seen, and we turned it into an occasion for the thoughtless veneration of fighters. Veterans Day is a holiday dedicated to absolutely stupid sentiments like "Let's thank the troops fighting in Iraq, because without them we wouldn't have our freedoms," and it replaced a holiday meant to make us say "Let's not ever do that again if we can avoid it." I think that's pretty awful.

But yes, bonus awful points to the people who tell us we should pay homage to living soldiers/sailors/airmen/veterans on Memorial Day.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-11-15, 3:05 AM #12
Today, we celebrate those who have taken a risk, worked hard, built a business and earned their own success.
2013-11-15, 9:41 AM #13
^^^...It's like standing in front of a mouse trap with no cheese but a sign that says "you know you want to"
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-11-15, 9:47 AM #14
That all seems very odd.

In the UK, Armistace Day and Remembrance Sunday [sometimes the same day] have expanded to commemorate the dead from the second world war and more recent, but not the living. All of the symbolism [poppies etc.] are still related to WW1, and there's no holidays.
nope.
2013-11-16, 8:28 AM #15
In America it means you can get free food at Applebees if you have a DD-214.
>>untie shoes
2013-11-17, 8:36 AM #16
Join the US military. We will remember you. Twice.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE

↑ Up to the top!