Thread: New Desktop/Workstation build

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Name:  $T2eC16h,!)8E9s4l90(,BRymjZ(Cpw~~60_35.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  27.5 KB

loads of these

Looks pretty pimp.

I'm guessing you know this already but:

I would point out that the GTX780TI outperforms a TITAN in most gaming/rendering/modelling/GPGPU scenarios for less money... but I can understand the draw of 6gb and that sexy name. Honestly I hope to own a TITAN someday too.

Jesus, what are you trying to do with this thing? Play games, or cure cancer?

Seriously though, what's your goal here with this crazy expensive system?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Matty View Post

Real-time ray-traced games, obvs
    "it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

I found him, I found the private consumer titan buyer.
    Man I could probably buy a fleet of used sedans for that desktops price.
    I find it strange you only went for the 256GB SSD instead of slurging on the TB model, penny pinching?

Quote Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
    I find it strange you only went for the 256GB SSD instead of slurging on the TB model, penny pinching?
    He didn't include the VMAX he's buying alongside it to handle all of his storage needs.

(Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

Bragging?
    >>untie shoes

Transcoding lots of media, building and testing VMs to deploy. And some gaming too.
    gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    He didn't include the VMAX he's buying alongside it to handle all of his storage needs.
    I've got a quad xeon box with 16x 3TB in RAID for media storage, don't need much local storage. An SSD for Linux, one for Windows, and one scratch drive for whatever.
    gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

Quote Originally Posted by EAH_TRISCUIT View Post
    Looks pretty pimp.

I'm guessing you know this already but:

I would point out that the GTX780TI outperforms a TITAN in most gaming/rendering/modelling/GPGPU scenarios for less money... but I can understand the draw of 6gb and that sexy name. Honestly I hope to own a TITAN someday too.
    for GPGPU and gaming it would be better to have 2x 780TI then, for around the same price? I had been told that the Titan was better for GPGPU/CUDA, but that may have changed.
    gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

Quote Originally Posted by NoESC View Post
    for GPGPU and gaming it would be better to have 2x 780TI then, for around the same price? I had been told that the Titan was better for GPGPU/CUDA, but that may have changed.
    The Titan still has somewhat better performance for GPU programs, but if you're just using it for encoding video I don't think it makes any difference.

Also, if you got money to burn, I wouldn't even bother with your HDD.

In fact, if you're looking for insanity speed, maybe look into a PCI-E based SSD instead?

Building and testing VMs to deploy? See, I'd make work pay for that kind of stuff.

Child's Play CharityRibberium Mempyre!

For that many ducats I hope they are.

Admiral of Awesome
    If I had the disposable income I'd build a ****in titan cluster supercomputer. stop with all of the unpoorshaming.

Eh, I'm just wondering why he's throwing that much money at processing for a VM host for what sounds like work-related stuff and paying for it himself. Maybe it's not work-related stuff though, but he made it sound like maybe it was. I could certainly find uses for that much power, but I'm not going to pay out of pocket for it when I've got a nice little chunk of a datacenter in my office to take care of all of that for me that I don't have to pay a dime to use.

Quote Originally Posted by NoESC View Post
    The only advantage the Titan has over the 780TI is 6gb vs 3gb (Edit: And power consumption, but I doubt that concerns you much). If you think 3gb will be a limitation then stick with the Titan. The 780TI has more cores and faster clockspeeds and costs less. Both use the same drivers, it's not like the Titan was ever pitched as a Quadro or Tesla workstation replacement.

There are a ton of GTX780TI reviews out, if you have a particular workstation application in mind you can probably find a benchmark for it. But if a single GTX780TI beats a Titan in almost every scenario, then yes I would imagine 2x would be much better.
    Last edited by EAH_TRISCUIT; 11-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.