Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → I Directed a Web Series
I Directed a Web Series
2013-12-12, 10:02 PM #1
Hey Guys!

It's been a while. I used to be a pretty active JK editor and showcase forum regular, but haven't picked up the cleave tool in quite some time (nostalgia overwhelms me regularly, and I lurk away on these forums - very excited by Jon'C's GORC!)

I'm pursuing acting and filmmaking now. I don't post much, but when I do, it's about projects very close to my heart. I've been working on such a project for several months now with a good friend I studied acting with at college. It's a web series about young artists (actors/singers/writers) trying to "break through" in their professional lives, while also dealing with the more personal, emotional consequences. My friend wrote it and stars in it, I directed it and had a small acting role, and we produced it together.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

We filmed the first season (60 page shooting script) in NYC in October, and it was probably the most challenging, terrifying, overwhelming, and exhilarating experience of my life. Deeply invested in post-production now, planning to launch the series online and submit to festivals in the spring. My friend and I sunk a lot of our own money into this, with some help from our families, so we're developing a crowd-funding campaign to make sure the project gets the quality finish and maximum exposure we believe it deserves.

I designed our website, which you can check out at WillYouChaseTheDream.com. I also edited a short teaser trailer to give a first glimpse at what we shot:

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0Bf4lDXfc

I've always enjoyed showcasing projects on here, and the discussions/ideas/creativity that usually ensue. Hopefully this will be no exception! :D
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2013-12-12, 11:04 PM #2
Cooool! Best of luck!
When's the trailer coming? :) It would be interesting to see.
Nice site.
I'm afraid the description doesn't tell much about the plot, though. A lot of stories have passion, choice, and sacrifice in pursuit of something (eg., a dream).

For example: http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/about tells me who's who and what is going on; it was just the first show I thought of, but I imagine most of them allude to some part of the plot...

Anyway, not a put-down, I'd just include more details about the story. I mean, you have, "Our Story" but why not make a separate page for what the show is about?

Peace & love,
Koobie
幻術
2013-12-13, 7:31 AM #3
looks cool man. if i'm reading the trailer right, it's about voyeurism, right?
2013-12-13, 10:23 AM #4
This looks kind of awesome! Super congrats on making it this far, thats no small accomplishment! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more updates on this.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-12-13, 2:59 PM #5
Originally posted by Koobie:
I'm afraid the description doesn't tell much about the plot, though. A lot of stories have passion, choice, and sacrifice in pursuit of something (eg., a dream)... but I imagine most of them allude to some part of the plot... I mean, you have, "Our Story" but why not make a separate page for what the show is about?

Hey Koobie, that is really excellent advice, thank you! We've kept descriptions of the show more general since we're still in post-production, partially because we don't want to give away *too* much. Then again, we're also not the kind of show that's filled with intrigue and twists like Boardwalk (we're a more traditional drama, much more dialogue/character driven than plot driven, with some comic touches here and there). But I think we should definitely go into more detail on our website and thanks for sharing the Boardwalk link, because that's actually an incredibly useful format to refer to when I craft a plot synopsis page. The trailer should be released in the new year, but you never know, we might make more than one...

Originally posted by saberopus:
looks cool man. if i'm reading the trailer right, it's about voyeurism, right?

Haha, this thought occured to me as I was editing that teaser. ;) It's slightly unusual because it was originally a Vimeo weekend challenge submission. They wanted video haikus (17 seconds, instead of 17 syllables, so 3 scenes @ 5sec, 7sec, 5sec. The text on the screen is a haiku I wrote to compliment the imagery.

Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
This looks kind of awesome! Super congrats on making it this far, thats no small accomplishment! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more updates on this.

Thanks, man! I don't know if you're on Facebook, but you can follow us on there for more updates (https://www.facebook.com/VergeSeries) and subscribe to the YouTube channel. We're definitely trying to build our base, so if you want to share with anyone else who might be interested in this story, that would be much appreciated! :)
2014-01-07, 1:56 PM #6
I designed a new poster, let me know what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/VergeSeries
2014-01-09, 1:17 AM #7
Not bad, but I'd kill the transparency / bring the faces up so that the transparent parts end in the dark night instead of the city lights ... does that make sense? Anyhows, good luck with the show!
幻術
2014-01-10, 8:59 AM #8
#1 - Blurred out bridge & streetlights is shot from the Astoria Boulevard stop on the NQ right? :p WAY TO BE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD BRO.

#2 - not a huge fan of the new poster. I would use a different skyline image of NY. That one is a little too quiet. Also, align that tagline!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2014-03-01, 3:14 PM #9
Web series update: just launched a 90-second trailer ahead of the series premiere!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4eyclpz8v8

Originally posted by mb:
#1 - Blurred out bridge & streetlights is shot from the Astoria Boulevard stop on the NQ right? :p WAY TO BE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD BRO.

You are correct, sir - madness! We did a lot of filming in Astoria. As well as that platform, we filmed on a nearby rooftop of a fairly old (1920's?) apartment near Astoria/Steinway. I love that part of the city.
2014-04-06, 11:42 AM #10
Released Episode 1 on Thursday, Episode 2 airs on April 10th!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw248MZ5nv0
2014-04-07, 7:59 AM #11
Hey man, congrats. Are you looking for any feedback or anything?
2014-04-07, 11:37 AM #12
Originally posted by saberopus:
Hey man, congrats. Are you looking for any feedback or anything?

Absolutely! This episode is out there, so no changes can be made of course, but there are more episodes still in post-production and I always appreciate feedback and critical reactions to a project like this. There are certainly a few things I would go back and change in hindsight, but those are important lessons learned from my inexperience as a director.

↑ Up to the top!