Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 92

Thread: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons (New Space Sim!!)

  1. #1
    Child's Play CharityBlockyness Rocks!
    Posts
    2,954

    Star Wars: Attack Squadrons (New Space Sim!!)

    http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

    Sign up for the beta today! It's going to be a free-to-play space sim (think X-wing vs Tie Fighter) with 16 player matches, customizable ships, different game modes, etc.

    Sounds really cool, and the graphics look decent enough from the few screenshots they're showing. I don't think this looks incredible but it's a huge step in the right direction.

    1) Very glad they are still catering to PC gamers for their future Star Wars games.

    2) Space sim = something many Star Wars fans have been dying for them to make an updated version of since X-wing Alliance.

    3) Free to play. (Now hold on before you chastise me for this). I think some people are very quick to pass judgement on the free to play system for games. It is entirely dependent on how it is executed. If F2P games are done in a way where it allows someone to get additional content for the game, but not actually have a competitive advantage, then I am all for it. If this game is anything like War Thunder, I think I'll be very happy.

    Anyway, yay new Star Wars games!
    Author of the JK levels:
    Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)


  2. #2
    Can't shake 'em.
    formerly [D6]Koobie
    the one and only

  3. #3
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.
    Roger, using designated target.

  4. #4
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    So this is pretty much War Thunder in the Star Wars universe, but only the air part.
    >>untie shoes

  5. #5
    I hope they don't go overboard on the customization. It would be annoying to see gaudy X-wings flying around everywhere.
    "it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

  6. #6
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,979
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.

  7. #7
    I dunno man. TF2 and Path of Exile are both F2P without being pay to win. I agree with you that it is very rare for this to be the case, though.
    "it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Not the senator.r
    Posts
    7,191
    that better not be some trade federation bullchute i see there
    DO NOT WANT.

  10. #10
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,979
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.

  11. #11
    Yeah. Back in October.
    "it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

  12. #12
    Doesn't look like a sim. Looks more like another arcade shooter like Rogue Squadron. :-(
    Sorry for the lousy German

  13. #13
    I wouldn't mind that, Impi.

    But eh. Disney should make TODOAphone instead.

  14. #14
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    Looks like a nothing, because they haven't shown any gameplay footage yet. It could be a turn based rpg for all we know.

    All we know for sure is that it's not going to be very good. Because, again, they've hidden what kind of game it is and even what platforms it will run on. Never a good sign.

  15. #15
    This looks and sounds absolutely terrible.

  16. #16
    Unwitting troll accomplice
    Posts
    8,244
    Hey, remember when I said "affluenza" was the dumbest name I'd ever heard for anything? I hadn't heard of "Attack Squadrons" yet.
    If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    I dunno man. TF2 and Path of Exile are both F2P without being pay to win. I agree with you that it is very rare for this to be the case, though.
    TF2 was created under the premise of not being F2P, and also Valve's willing to take that step no one else wants to.

    Path of Exile is free to play, but no one wants to play it, because it's such a unbalanced grindfest that Diablo 2 looks like child's play in comparison. Also doesn't help that it suffers from many of the major issues Diablo 3 suffers from. It's not play to win solely because if they did, they might as well sell "skip to the end" tickets. There's zero gameplay outside of the grind that you'd skip.



    Anyway, the premise of this game? Awesome. The reality of it? Probably terrible. Like Jon`C said, it's a f2p game with zero gameplay footage thus far and the graphics are in line with a web-based player. It would not shock me if it ends up being just another ****ty online game to add to Disney's repertoire of ****ty online games. The developer making it for Disney is even sketchy, with basically zero information about them other than the fact that they're hiring for a position located somewhere on planet Earth. That's all we know! Wonderful. Total confidence here.
    Last edited by Cool Matty; 12-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.

  18. #18
    Human Computer
    Posts
    2,826
    I would like to remain hopeful that we'll finally get another decent Star Wars game but I've been disappointed too many times to be so naive. However, if it turns out to be good, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    ? :)

  19. #19
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    It's a 7-month old debt-funded indie game startup. Barring extreme nepotism, this wasn't a commissioned work. What we're looking at is probably the next evolution of the current industry trend:





    This company probably developed some generic game design that could be easy buttoned into a franchise title, and then shopped it around to film studios on that basis. X-Wings? Superman? Quiddich? Makes zero difference in a technological sense.

  20. #20
    i was watching my daughter play SW angry birds recently
    it seemed cool actually
    formerly [D6]Koobie
    the one and only

  21. #21
    but yeh, not excited about this at all.
    it does look like an arcadish shoot-em-upper, not Tie Fighter 2.
    formerly [D6]Koobie
    the one and only

  22. #22
    I'd say it looks promising. I just hope I can make my pilot Jek Porkins.

    Stay on Target
    Jek, Pull up!
    No no, it's fine
    Jek, you're too heavy! That KFC is wieghing you down!
    Biggs this isn't the time or... Wait, something's coming back up the gu-- *Boomf-Kaboom*

  23. #23
    Wow, Link is bad-ass.

  24. #24
    That Obi-Wan bird is kinda creepy.

  25. #25
    That's Obi-Wan? I can't tell one bird from the other.

  26. #26
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    12,163
    Well the rest of them are pretty obvious


    guy

  27. #27
    Monty Hall's Favorite Contestant
    Posts
    755
    I loved x-wing alliance. Great single-player storyline, great mp, great modding.

  28. #28
    this game looks like barf **** from a stinky butt

    im very sad

  29. #29
    Sorry for the lousy German

  30. #30
    "you play it in a web browser"...

    moving on
    eat right, exercise, die anyway

  31. #31
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkJedi82 View Post
    "you play it in a web browser"...

    moving on
    It's Unity. It's not like an actual browser game, it just uses the browser to distribute content. It's not a browser game.

    But still

  32. #32
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,979
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.

  33. #33
    Also, Tie Interceptors don't have shields, but in this game, they do. Small complaint from an Expanded Universe fanatic.
    That's it, I'm never playing this game!

    I’m not one hundred percent sure what they’re going to do to make me spend money on this game, though. I’m curious what USD can buy compared to Galactic Credits. I have a feeling I won’t be seeing that in closed beta at all.
    Probably a popular trend these days to buy custom stuff for a game with real money. And only now did I realize how Habbo Hotel had already done it in the year 2000 or so, but eh.

  34. #34
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    battlefield 4 is a browser game
    wait, what? really?

    I had to look this up. ahahahaha.

  35. #35
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,979
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 01:16 AM.

  36. #36
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Tricked ya! Yeah, integrating web browsers into games isn't exactly uncommon and saves development costs.
    um yea, awesomium, berkelium and cef are the big solutions, and EA has their own thing on gpl.ea.com, which we talked about when the new simcity came out because its js bindings let you enable offline mode and fix a bunch of the broken stuff. I've used cef before. idk what you mean when you say you've "tricked" me.

    I did a google search for "battlefield 4 browser" and apparently there is some sort of browser plugin you have to install. That's what I thought was laffo.

    Edit: Borderlands 2 is a flash game because it uses scaleform

  37. #37
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,979
    .
    Last edited by Reid; 08-05-2015 at 01:17 AM.

  38. #38
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Why did EA develop Battlelog (the browser plugin) for Battlefield 3 and 4, then?
    I started boycotting EA a long time before Battlefield 3 came out, so idk for sure. They probably wanted people to be able to launch games from their ~GAMER SOCIAL NETWORK~. Web browsers don't allow webapps to run arbitrary programs on the host computer, for obvious reasons, so you need some sort of plugin to do it. ofc you also want to do a bang-up job securing that plugin, otherwise someone else could embed it in their website and use it to hijack your users' computers.

  39. #39
    Child's Play CharityBlockyness Rocks!
    Posts
    2,954
    Well, I got into the beta. What was strange is that they sent me the message that I got into the beta, and I only had that same day to try testing it out. I got home from work and tried it. I was initially pretty bummed about it being a web-browser based launching game, but the graphics were decent enough (however the settings were completely uncustomizable and anti-aliasing couldn't be enabled).

    The controls, like that guy said in his review, were strange. Overall they were what you'd expect using a mouse and keyboard for a flight sim. However, there was no explanation of what the controls were anywhere, so for the first 5 minutes or so I was literally just pressing every key on my keyboard to see what it would do. Also, unless I somehow missed a key, there was no way to switch into a cockpit view, which I found pretty annoying.

    The three ships you could select between operated fairly different, as you would expect them to - (X-wing, Y-wing, and Tie Interceptor). However, they all had the exact same loadout availabilities, which seemed odd to me (proton torpedoes and homing missiles).

    The gameplay was fun, but got old pretty quickly. I guess I suppose this was due to a lack of any real objectives. The only gamemode that was available was team deathmatch, which was simply a timed skirmish where the team with the most kills at the end of the round wins. I didn't really try the customizing, as I really couldn't even figure it out. I tried messing with it for a couple of minutes and couldn't find anything to spend my in-game credits on, so I gave up and went back to playing.

    That's really all of the comments I have. Overall the game was fine, but only having three ships, one single map to play on, and only one gamemode really hurt the experience. Not to mention a very unpolished menu. I'm sure most of these points will be addressed by the time this is released, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Author of the JK levels:
    Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)


  40. #40
    All that and the TIE Interceptor has shields. This is worse than the time I woke up in a coffin!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •