Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → God's Not Dead
God's Not Dead
2014-04-03, 9:51 PM #1
2014-04-03, 10:41 PM #2
Oh, so what you're saying is that evangelical Christians take works of philosophy literally? I didn't know...
>>untie shoes
2014-04-03, 11:02 PM #3
I lost all interest when I heard Kevin Sorbo was in it.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2014-04-03, 11:17 PM #4
This movie misinterprets what is meant by "God is dead". It's about the role of religion in society, rather than the existence of God.

And then sticks that failure to understand a basic philosophical concept in the title.
I'm just a little boy.
2014-04-03, 11:26 PM #5
I like the premise that the only reason to be moral is because God's gonna kick yo ass if you aren't.

I guess the idea that just leaving the world, and humanity, better than you came into it doesn't have any value to the Christians represented in that video? That's pretty depressing.

Frankly, if that's the only motivating factor for human morality at this point in civilization, we're no better off than we were thousands of years ago. I'd rather believe that we will eventually be humble and moral in nature, as a standard, instead of on occasion, when it suits us.
2014-04-03, 11:27 PM #6
幻術
2014-04-04, 7:34 AM #7
Oh look, the pothead who fancies himself a writer has no original thoughts on the matter.
>>untie shoes
2014-04-04, 8:00 AM #8
I have more original thoughts every time I sit down to take a **** than you'll ever have in your life, Antony.
幻術
2014-04-04, 8:02 AM #9
Yeah but are all of them that hyperbolic?
>>untie shoes
2014-04-04, 8:07 AM #10
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I sit down to take a dump, I generally pull out the old phone and start reading something. It's a nice way to pass the time.

This constitutes original thought in Koobie-land.
>>untie shoes
2014-04-04, 8:08 AM #11
Originally posted by Koobie:
I have more original thoughts every time I sit down to take a **** than you'll ever have in your life, Antony.

This thread is not about you. Stop making every thread about yourself.
2014-04-04, 8:32 AM #12
man I love how ****ing INTENT the audience is. I thought that asian dude was gonna start crying.
2014-04-04, 8:33 AM #13
Originally posted by Flirbnic:
This movie misinterprets what is meant by "God is dead". It's about the role of religion in society, rather than the existence of God.

And then sticks that failure to understand a basic philosophical concept in the title.

To be fair, though, if God doesn't literally exist, he can't literally be dead.

Given the choice between:
A) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is Big Brother (in the Sky) who will damn one's soul to hell for even thinking about murder.
B) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is valuing human life.

Then:
A) Makes one a sociopath.
B) Makes one moral.

There are of course additional options, such as:
C) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is the strictly terrestrial punishments.
D) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is that it's really inconvenient to plan, and after the sixth time of waiting ten minutes and then missing blackjacking the patrolling guard by a second and quickloading again one gives up.
E) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is lack of expertise.
F) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is not wanting to disappoint one's parents.
G) The only thing keeping one from committing murder is you're playing on Expert and killing anyone causes the mission to fail. Though to be fair, playing on Expert was a conscious decision so that the game would be more challenging without the easy outs of situations which murder allows.
&c
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2014-04-04, 8:45 AM #14
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/fgrburger.png]
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/burgernyum.png]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-04-04, 10:42 AM #15
2014-04-04, 10:49 AM #16
2014-04-04, 10:54 AM #17
Quote:
If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother, that person is a piece of ****

This.
>>untie shoes
2014-04-04, 3:30 PM #18
The fundamentalist Christian view on free will has always puzzled me. If God is omnipotent, omnipresent, & omniscient, it's therefore impossible to have free will. How can God know the future if free will exists, & if God doesn't know the future, is it truly omniscient?
? :)
2014-04-05, 10:31 PM #19
"the difference between your position and my position is that you take away their choice, you demand..."
Wait wait wait... did a CHRISTIAN really just say that?
Really??

Also, fully agree with the rest of the thread about how depressing and scary the world must be if the only reason people do good things is the biblical carrot and stick
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2014-04-05, 11:05 PM #20
I'm going to watch the hell out of this as soon as it comes to a local theater that serves beer.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-04-08, 9:51 PM #21
Oh, a Christian movie about a believer using logic and reasoning to overcome the irrational and hateful atheist.

How adorable.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2014-04-08, 10:20 PM #22

↑ Up to the top!