Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi
2014-04-27, 2:11 AM #1
It's the Star Wars Episode VII (SWEP7) thread!

April 27th 2014 (EU reboot): http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

April 29th 2014 (the cast): http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-04-27, 2:45 AM #2
Man, I totally thought this thread was going to be about Finland taking over Europe.
2014-04-27, 3:12 AM #3
FGR making intentionally confusing thread titles? Well, I never!

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/fgrwink.png]
2014-04-27, 10:00 AM #4
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2014-04-27, 11:20 AM #5
[/URL]

This was deleted too, being in that thread:
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Man, I totally thought this thread was going to be about Finland taking over Europe.

And yet here we are again? CM is Smith and FGR is ...?
2014-04-27, 8:53 PM #6
We should make a thread for Episode VII and all it's recent news such as Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were all spotted separately in London this weekend.

This news is also related to Episode VII, since it won't follow the EU and the EU will be rewritten according to what the new trilogy brings about.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-04-27, 9:20 PM #7
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
We should make a thread for Episode VII and all it's recent news such as Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were all spotted separately in London this weekend.

This news is also related to Episode VII, since it won't follow the EU and the EU will be rewritten according to what the new trilogy brings about.

You can't re-write the existing expanded universe. You can only add new universes to the multiverse.
2014-04-27, 9:39 PM #8
You can't re-write the existing expanded universe. You can only add new universes to the multiverse.

They could just stop printing all post ROTJ EU and instead write an entirely new and different timeline, and not acknowledge the previous one in any instance, effectively erasing the previously established and replacing it with whatever new things they come up with.

Also, for those interested, here's Mark Hamil, recent picture, growing a beard, lost the belly and most of the double chin.

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/04/mark-hamill-is-also-in-london.html
2014-04-27, 9:52 PM #9
They already said they're just rebranding the EU, it's not going anywhere. It just won't be influencing the movies, basically relegated to officially sanctioned fanfics.
2014-04-27, 10:22 PM #10
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
They already said they're just rebranding the EU, it's not going anywhere. It just won't be influencing the movies, basically relegated to officially sanctioned fanfics.

Which means that new canon will conflict with the EU in probably much stronger ways than before. I have no problem with most of the EU not being canon, but things such as the Kyle Katarn story line are quite dear to me, and if we don't see another JK because Katarn is no longer part of the canonized EU, then that'll be a tragedy, but we'll probably not see another JK anyways so no need to fret.
2014-04-27, 10:40 PM #11
Yeah, there's a few things in the EU I'll miss for sure, but in general it's so bloated with garbage that it deserves a mercy killing (or decanonization). Plus "official canon" isn't worth a whole lot w/r/t imaginary stories unless LucasFilm is writing your paychecks haha
2014-04-27, 11:38 PM #12
Which means that new canon will conflict with the EU in probably much stronger ways than before. I have no problem with most of the EU not being canon, but things such as the Kyle Katarn story line are quite dear to me, and if we don't see another JK because Katarn is no longer part of the canonized EU, then that'll be a tragedy, but we'll probably not see another JK anyways so no need to fret.

I would be just as surprised were Kyle to vanish from all future games as I would be if we ever saw him in a Star Wars film.

Then again, the old LEC is dead, so who knows.
2014-04-28, 4:58 AM #13
Existing EU will now be branded "Legends".

Also, the stories of the Clone Wars animated series are now officially canon, complete with all its plotholes and lore contradictions.

It's a good thing I don't give a rat's ass about what is "canon" in a fictional universe. I'll leave that to the piss nerds.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-04-28, 11:03 AM #14
I would be just as surprised were Kyle to vanish from all future games as I would be if we ever saw him in a Star Wars film.

Then again, the old LEC is dead, so who knows.

Oddly enough today Lucasfilm has said that the new games that are being made are canon.
2014-04-28, 2:27 PM #15
Quote:

jason court to star in episodes VII-IX calling it here first
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-04-28, 2:38 PM #16
jason court to supply delicious bespoke napa wines to episodes VII-IX wrap parties calling it here first
2014-04-28, 2:48 PM #17
"What would you do without me, Kyle?"
"I'd be a content old man."

[http://winetable.com/file/pic/photo/01_JasonCourt.jpg]
2014-04-28, 3:09 PM #18
I'll only consider anything Star Wars related to be canonical if George Lucas confirms it to be in line with his vision. Disney calling it canonical doesn't mean squat to me. It's all up to George Lucas and his vision, and that didn't suddenly change when the rights were sold.

I just hope GL comes out to confirm or deny the canonicity of everything released as Star Wars from now on so I know what's canon and what's not. That was so much easier to determine before the rights were sold to Disney, but it shouldn't be a problem if GL just takes the time to comment on it whenever new Star Wars creative material comes out.

I dread the day when GL is no longer with us, because then it might become impossible to distinguish the canon from the not since we can't just ask the guy. It'll require careful examination of what was deemed canonical in the past, and then comparing that to new Star Wars material to determine its probability of aligning with GL's vision.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-04-28, 3:58 PM #19
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I'll only consider anything Star Wars related to be canonical if George Lucas confirms it to be in line with his vision. Disney calling it canonical doesn't mean squat to me. It's all up to George Lucas and his vision, and that didn't suddenly change when the rights were sold.

GL's vision = make toy ads until he can afford to finish Skywalker Ranch.
2014-04-29, 7:45 AM #20
I love Star Wars but I don't see how people can be that outraged over this. I mean if George Lucas is willing to re-write canon with stuff like 'Greedo shot first' it shouldn't shock anyone that very little consideration is given to the EU.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2014-04-29, 9:52 AM #21
Also:

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

Quote:
[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15991411/mp3/Bandwidth/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announce.jpg]

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
2014-04-29, 10:01 AM #22
Hey FastGamerr, I was thinking about opening an Episode VII official news thread, but since you beat me to posting the news, I think you should open it instead.
2014-04-29, 10:07 AM #23
Yeah, I asked CM to change the title of this thread.

You know, once he gets back from eating Skyline chili.
2014-04-29, 11:00 AM #24
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
You know, once he gets back from eating Skyline chili.

om nom nom nom

[http://webnerhouse.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dsc01955.jpg]
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-04-29, 11:14 AM #25
To me the biggest surprise is seeing Kenny Baker in the cast. Last time I saw him at Celebration Europe in Essen he didn't look too healthy. Perhaps he will just sit at the side and deliver R2s lines.
Sorry for the lousy German
2014-04-29, 11:53 AM #26
Originally posted by Impi:
To me the biggest surprise is seeing Kenny Baker in the cast. Last time I saw him at Celebration Europe in Essen he didn't look too healthy. Perhaps he will just sit at the side and deliver R2s lines.

I'm just as surprised. I would have thought that R2 would be mostly animatronic/digital today.
2014-04-29, 12:01 PM #27
Maybe it's just one of those ceremonial things. Like it would be a snub to not have him on board or something.
2014-04-29, 12:02 PM #28
I'm just as surprised. I would have thought that R2 would be mostly animatronic/digital today.

He was in the prequel. Maybe JJ Abrams wants to pull the CGI back a bit? We can only hope.
2014-04-29, 12:03 PM #29

He was, in the prequels. Abrams has already said several times that they're planning on filming these much more like the original trilogy by using real sets/props/etc for movies. R2 will probably be in his real physical droid-like self for the majority of the films - except for his ridiculous "insert hoverjet here" scene that I'm sure Lucas will beg Abrams to put in.

In all seriousness though, I'm sure Kenny will reprise the role of R2 in a few scenes with the old cast mates as a tribute to his work ~35 years ago more than anything else. For the rest of the scenes I'm sure they'll just use an actual robot version of R2 that's remote controlled by someone off screen.

[Edit: CM sniped me] :argh:
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2014-04-29, 12:24 PM #30
Yes Abrams like's doing things with real sets and props, which are vastly superior to a pure CGI environment. I think his Star Trek films demonstrated this beautifully, as the perfect balance between CGI and live action. Still, there was significant and vast amounts of CGI in those movies, as there will be in these, but unlike the prequels (where there were literally entire sets made of nothing but green/blue elements) it will be properly balanced. Anyhow, I think this is a great cast, and it isn't forcing racial or gender diversity on anyone (if you didn't know, there were rumors that Disney wanted to make a black female the main lead to promote racial/gender diversity), and Abrams is a magnificent director.
2014-04-29, 12:29 PM #31
and it isn't forcing racial or sexual diversity on anyone

Wow.

(Footnote: Nothing about the film's casting is deviant from mainstream American cinema of the 2010s, so I'm not exactly bothered)
2014-04-29, 12:47 PM #32
(if you didn't know, there were rumors that Disney wanted to make a black female the main lead to promote racial/sexual diversity)

eww gross what the ****, don't put that in my stra war
2014-04-29, 12:53 PM #33
Originally posted by saberopus:

*tips fedora*
2014-04-29, 12:54 PM #34
Originally posted by Impi:

What about Max von Sydow as a surprise? Will he be a villain?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-04-29, 1:27 PM #35
I imagine he'll be exorcising some bad midichlorians.
2014-04-29, 1:31 PM #36
max von sydow is playing the role of gay obi wan kenobi
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-04-29, 1:42 PM #37
Originally posted by saberopus:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with male/female black lead, if the story was originally written that way, but the rumors I read was that near the final stages of the script some Disney execs basically forced the script writers to change the lead to a black female because of a lack of such a main lead in previous films, and that it might be considered racist/sexist to not do such a thing. I guess those rumors were unfounded as I see no evidence of that from this casting. BTW, I mean't gender diversity not sexual diversity (didn't realize they are not the same thing).
2014-04-29, 1:52 PM #38
guys i just realized something important

billy dee williams is not in the movie

WHERE IS LANDO CALRISSIAN YOU RACISTS????!!!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-04-29, 2:02 PM #39
Originally posted by Tracer:
guys i just realized something important

billy dee williams is not in the movie

WHERE IS LANDO CALRISSIAN YOU RACISTS????!!!

Yes, I'm also bummed by this. It makes no sense to bring everyone back but him.
2014-04-29, 2:07 PM #40
Same goes for Alec Guinness.

↑ Up to the top!