Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 640 of 741

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7: A New Attack of the Empire Strikes Revenge of the Return of Jedi

  1. #601
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    n.b. this isn't just a cheap thing. Dropbox turfed their ceiling tiles, Facebook and Google both designed their headquarters around never having any. These are the results tech companies are getting out of spending 7 figures on hotshot "office" "design" firms like Geremia. They are literally spending more in order to have ****tier working conditions.

  2. #602

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,137
    Add to that the whole permitting process. Not sure how it goes in the Bay Area, but in NYC and the area around, former warehouses have so many occupancy and fire code issues that they become time and money vampires to reclaim them for residential and business. When artists moved in, it sorta worked out (not really). But these places simply don't have the facilities for something like running miles and miles of wires.

    Google has a workplace in Chelsea (on the west side of Manhattan) that I visited since I have a friend that works (full-time) there. The place was a former cookie factory. It's incredibly horizontal, which worked in favor, I assume, for moving large equipment and assembly-line cookie production. But now, this becomes awkward since moving between floors required taking a crowded freight elevator and everything was just weirdly spaced out. Using a scooter became the place's "thing" and the horizontal layout invites "inclusiveness." Not sure how that works out since there is a mix of real workers and those on contract who will inevitably be pushed out.

    Great food tho.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  3. #603
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    SF_GoldG_01, serious question: what happened here? There's no shame at all in asking questions or admitting you don't understand something. Why make positive statements that you can't defend to people with much more knowledge in the subject? If you had just asked why your first post was wrong, this all would have turned out much more constructively for all of us
    I don't know, I'm too tired to put the pieces back together. I'll just go to sleep and hope for the best.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  4. #604
    Mars would never put up with this.

  5. #605
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr View Post
    Mars would never put up with this.
    Mars will never be free until the sands run red with Earther blood.
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  6. #606
    That's neat. Where'd you get them COGs?


  7. #607
    Oh, I don't know if you'd know 'em... Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Lawrence. They wrote 'em for me.
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  8. #608
    Now that's a helluva deal.

  9. #609
    Oh yeah. The readme credit says "Written in Notepad by Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Lawrence."
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  10. #610
    Okay, I'll just jump in here.

    space_willie, who wrote the extremely famous phrase, "a Kroko high on krokodil drives a mighty automobil, a Kroko on a shark just wants his dick to spark"?

  11. #611
    Uhh.... I give up.
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  12. #612
    The answer we're looking for, GBK, is Doctor Worm.

  13. #613
    Who's Doctor Worm?
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  14. #614
    Nobody.

    So shut up.

  15. #615
    Oh, ok.
    Anyway, I'm sorry about Silent Hills. That must really hurt.
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  16. #616
    It did, UNTIL I FIGURED IT OUT!

    Take a look at my diagram:


  17. #617
    EUUGH!
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  18. #618


    When they "cancelled" it, I felt real torment.



    Like where?

    Where does that happen?



    SILENT HILL.



    It's all a part of their plan, which I've labelled the MISERY ENGINE.

  19. #619
    Is that ....****?
    Whose **** is that?
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  20. #620
    Does that MATTER?

  21. #621
    It matters to ME.
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  22. #622
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr View Post
    That's neat. Where'd you get them COGs?

    [objection]7909237[/objection]
    Last edited by Cool Matty; 05-03-2015 at 01:23 PM.

  23. #623
    /me looks down

  24. #624

  25. #625
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    I love all the new office design trends. Take a look at this hot ****:



    I guess those ceiling tiles were interfering with collaboration? Nothing screams high tech bay area social media startup like taking design cues from Costco.
    This is a work of art. Look how trendy this place is. It's totally the next office 2.0. We're really building culture here.

    What's the problem guys? Programmers don't need to concentrate and focus on their job. Oh, and they LOVE being interrupted by a PM asking "how is that going?" or a coworker sliding his chair over to ask another employee if he needs a reach around- I mean what the end point to that API. Because documentation nobody has time for. Since every week is a sprint and its more important how something look than how it functions. We don't need privacy and we need communication. This opens those doorways to better communication obviously because there is no doors or walls.
    Last edited by zanardi; 05-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

  26. #626
    [objection]7909233[/objection]

  27. #627
    [objection]7909235[/objection]
    And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

  28. #628
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    n.b. this isn't just a cheap thing. Dropbox turfed their ceiling tiles, Facebook and Google both designed their headquarters around never having any. These are the results tech companies are getting out of spending 7 figures on hotshot "office" "design" firms like Geremia. They are literally spending more in order to have ****tier working conditions.
    N.B. how well psychology influences value

    Quote Originally Posted by ECHOMAN View Post
    Geez that's a lot of white lighting reflecting off of white paint in an open space. Maybe it's just the exposure of the camera, but that place looks immediately uncomfortable, almost unsettling, to work in. I assume you can get use to that over time (like the people there ofc), I still work under incandescent lighting.

    Funny you mention Costco. I wouldn't be surprised lighting that bright white is "good" for a place like a shopping center since it probably urges people to move around.

    Old warehouses, with their generous heights, lack of good climate control and weird means of egress, are like the exact opposite of what offices like those need. It really is a square peg in a round hole situation.
    I hate being in that sort of artificial lighting, give me some old school sunlight goddamn

    Quote Originally Posted by zanardi View Post
    This is a work of art. Look how trendy this place is. It's totally the next office 2.0. We're really
    Quote Originally Posted by zanardi View Post
    building culture here.

    What's the problem guys? Programmers don't need to concentrate and focus on their job. Oh, and they LOVE being interrupted by a PM asking "how is that going?" or a coworker sliding his chair over to ask another employee if he needs a reach around- I mean what the end point to that API. Because documentation nobody has time for. Since every week is a sprint and its more important how something look than how it functions. We don't need privacy and we need communication. This opens those doorways to better communication obviously because there is no doors or walls.

    tbqh if i worked there i would bring a laptop and work in the bathroom alone

  29. #629
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    N.B. how well psychology influences value


    I hate being in that sort of artificial lighting, give me some old school sunlight goddamn


    tbqh if i worked there i would bring a laptop and work in the bathroom alone
    "Not a team player"
    "Poor culture fit"

  30. #630
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,965
    maybe i'm not suited for corporate life because i'm pretty sure if they said i'm "not a team player", i'd remind them that programming is not "a team sport"

  31. #631
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,965
    actually going by office space logic, i'd probably get promoted to management for having that attitude

  32. #632

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,137
    Then they call security because you were waving a katana around, making "sweesh swosh" sounds with your mouth.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  33. #633
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,965
    that was never a part of the simulation!

    besides everyone knows that the wakizashi is the superior sword for the conservative japanese fighters. jet fuel can't melt folded steel beams

  34. #634
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,965
    disclaimer: i didn't even know that the wakizashi was a sword before i googled it, to preemptively dispel any possible inferences that I might be a weeaboo

  35. #635

  36. #636
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    This thread delivers.
    >>untie shoes

  37. #637
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    maybe i'm not suited for corporate life because i'm pretty sure if they said i'm "not a team player", i'd remind them that programming is not "a team sport"
    Yes, it is. Very much so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    actually going by office space logic, i'd probably get promoted to management for having that attitude
    You get promoted to management by being good at your current non-management job. Which, actually, is worse than promoting at random like you suggest.

  38. #638
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Yes, it is. Very much so.
    You beat me to the punch.
    The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
    http://forums.theplothole.net

  39. #639
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    disclaimer: i didn't even know that the wakizashi was a sword before i googled it, to preemptively dispel any possible inferences that I might be a weeaboo

    I just googled it... is it a katana for midgets?
    Nothing to see here, move along.

  40. #640
    (Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebohq View Post
    You beat me to the punch.
    Hogwash. Don't you guys know that elaborate software is routinely written by a single person?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •