Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Discussion Forum
Discussion Forum
2014-08-05, 4:14 PM #1
Hi!

Do you guys like Star Wars?

What are you expecting of the new trilogy? I think it'll probably be pretty decent, I'm sure they'll try to do it right to bring balance to the Force against the previous suckfest. Okay, so the PT had its moments...like the ending of AotC when the camera pans to reveal a bunch of Imperial-looking units and the Imperial March starts playing, I thought that was actually awesome as hell and it gave me shivers and managed to be pretty poignant. I hope the new trilogy has a bunch of cool stuff like that. And a good story with nice directing and acting and cinematography and all that jazz, that would be dandy.

So anyway, Jon`C is still working on Gorc which is a reworking of the Sith engine (which JK and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine ran on in case anyone didn't know), so that's cool and let's hope he finds the time and motivation to see that through. And now we're planning a new level contest which would be fun to see.

Anyway, I guess we're sorta on life support these days, maybe for several years now, but me and a bunch of you duderinos, we're gonna ride this baby until she gives out! And who knows, maybe that's not happening for longer than we could even imagine. After all, websites come and go, but this place just...endures.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-08-05, 4:30 PM #2
Originally posted by Krokodile:

The Discussion forum was never about Star Wars and Massassi as a whole hasn't really been about JK in years.

It's not a bad thing. Massassi is a community of people with a shared background and (for the most part) shared interests. The fact that the forums are quiet these days is just a side effect of the fact that we all have adult lives now that don't always include enough spare time to waste tooling around online.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2014-08-05, 4:49 PM #3
Yeah, I know all that. Maybe you're inferring something I didn't intend, it's just a casual thread.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-08-05, 5:01 PM #4
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Hi!

Hello!
Quote:

Sure I do! I'll even go so far as to say that I like the prequels and that the original trilogy has downsides only nostalgia can cover up. With that said, overall, I'm more a Star Trek guy, and I like Star Wars mostly for its "pile of junk" aesthetic it popularized in science-fiction (something that I don't think a lot of sci-fi since have really captured the same, though some come close) and, of course, the lightsabers. That's why I picked up Jedi Knight back in the day at least.

Quote:
What are you expecting of the new trilogy? I think it'll probably be pretty decent, I'm sure they'll try to do it right to bring balance to the Force against the previous suckfest. Okay, so the PT had its moments...like the ending of AotC when the camera pans to reveal a bunch of Imperial-looking units and the Imperial March starts playing, I thought that was actually awesome as hell and it gave me shivers and managed to be pretty poignant. I hope the new trilogy has a bunch of cool stuff like that. And a good story with nice directing and acting and cinematography and all that jazz, that would be dandy.

If it's anything like the Marvel movies and their more obvious Disney properties as of late, it should be good. I rather liked the opening shot of Revenge of the Sith -- I found it rather awe-inspiring.

Quote:
So anyway, Jon`C is still working on Gorc which is a reworking of the Sith engine (which JK and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine ran on in case anyone didn't know), so that's cool and let's hope he finds the time and motivation to see that through. And now we're planning a new level contest which would be fun to see.

Ever since I joined the forums, I told myself I'd make a level. I never have, and I'm afraid I'm still too stupid even with the tutorials to make one now.

Quote:
Anyway, I guess we're sorta on life support these days, maybe for several years now, but me and a bunch of you duderinos, we're gonna ride this baby until she gives out! And who knows, maybe that's not happening for longer than we could even imagine. After all, websites come and go, but this place just...endures.

People have been saying Massassi is "dying" for years now, though I agree that it's continually dropped overall in activity and that it's pretty low as of the past few years. Also, I'll be sticking around until at least the end of the current NeS thread. After that, I'm probably looking to migrate its continuation elsewhere, and as the ISB's been my main reason for staying since year one, I'll probably frequent far less.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2014-08-05, 5:02 PM #5
When I saw that "Discussion Forum" was authored by Krokodile, my first thought was that the entire forum section had been taken over by this Krokodile guy.
2014-08-06, 6:12 AM #6
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15991411/mp3/Bandwidth/MIRROR/tfti.mp3
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-08-06, 7:38 PM #7
[http://i.imgur.com/NgxO7mX.gif]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2014-08-06, 8:27 PM #8
now i shall be trying to dig up my copy of the great outdoors
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2014-08-06, 10:53 PM #9

THANK YOU FOR TEH MUSIC
2014-08-06, 11:27 PM #10
I hope Gorc lets me play Jedi Knight with an Oculus Rift
2014-08-06, 11:29 PM #11
Also I think the new movies are gonna be pretty good probably. Maybe that puts me in the minority idk but I think Disney knows a lot is riding on the reception of the next one
2014-08-07, 12:21 AM #12
RIP MASSASSI 2008
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2014-08-07, 1:22 AM #13
I'd like to see Massassi eventually morph into a community that's focused on Gorc & all of the possibilities that it presents.
? :)
2014-08-07, 6:25 AM #14
I'd like to see Massassi eventually morph into a community that's focused on Jedi Knight editing.

OH HO
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-08-07, 7:49 AM #15
I like Star Wars.

The original trilogy is pretty damned good. Star Wars and Return of the Jedi have some flaws as films, but I don't think any of them are anything that can prevent you from enjoying them. The Empire Strikes Back is a nearly flawless film, though. It really is truly terrific, and I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying it. From a filmmaking standpoint, it's one of the most well crafted movies I've ever seen.

The prequel trilogy has its merits, and ultimately I still pretty much like them. I still watch them every now and then; usually a few times each year I'll get bored and run through the whole series. Obviously the first two films in the prequel trilogy have really serious flaws with the dialog and some of the performances, and while these flaws don't show up nearly as prominently in the third film, it just makes Revenge of the Sith that much more painful to watch, because it's so close to being a great movie. Additionally, Revenge is the only one that really feels like a modern film. It's got some really nice cinematography spread throughout, and it even tastefully uses the ever-popular shaky cam. Some of the humor even actually works in it, if you can accept that Lucas has aimed it toward children without understanding that it's possible to make a film that both children and adults enjoy without a bunch of slapstick sound effects and **** like that.

I'm pretty hopeful for the new films. I think JJ Abrams (despite making Star Trek movies that don't feel like Star Trek at all) will turn out a solid film, and Rian Johnson is pretty much brilliant, so we've got that going for us with the second two. So far I like what I've heard about casting and story and so on in regard to the seventh film. I like that it's allegedly going to have a female villain. Gwendolyn Christie is pretty outstanding on Game of Thrones, and I think that the concept of her playing a high ranking imperial officer is pretty great.

The fact that JJ Abrams honestly made two Star Trek movies that most of the fan community despises is something that I don't really understand. Sure, the movies seem completely inconsistent with everything that Star Trek has ever been, and his denial that Khan was the villain leading up to the second one was just plain childish. They're still fairly enjoyable films, even if the idea of "Is Kirk really ready to be the captain of the Enterprise?" was really redundant as a main theme for both films. I'm pretty much giving up on that series, as Roberto Orci is taking over the next film, and he has pretty much never been involved in anything that I didn't view as absolutely terrible from the point of view of his contribution. He is literally the reason the new Trek films are mediocre. His writing is terrible and serves simply to carry the film to the next action beat, while throwing in extremely lazy and manipulative emotional turns here and there. None of the emotional turns that he shoe horns into the film ever carry any weight, because for him it's not a way of evolving a character; it's a reason for the characters to have a fight here in a few minutes. Character development is a means to an end for this guy.

That and he's a 9/11 truther. Seriously. **** him.

Just be happy that he has nothing to do with the new Star Wars films.
>>untie shoes
2014-08-07, 8:13 AM #16
you pretty much said it re: Star Trek, Antony. Bob Orci, script problems, redundant theme, weak emotional connection, but a great cast, excellent vfx, and overall fantastic execution. The fan community may mourn the comparative shallowness of those two films, but they have their merits. If you'd rather have no Star Trek than this, well, eh. I grew up watching Star Trek, but I still enjoy these.
2014-08-07, 9:45 AM #17
I've been trying not to follow progress on the new films too much to keep my expectations down and keep myself spoiler free. I'm quietly hopeful that it Episode 7 will have learnt from the mistakes of the prequels but realistically it probably won't be as good as we'd all like.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2014-08-11, 2:47 PM #18
Originally posted by Ni:
I'm quietly hopeful that it Episode 7 will have learnt from the mistakes of the prequels but realistically it probably won't be as good as we'd all like.

That is pretty much how I feel about it. I am hopeful but not expecting much at the same time.
- Paranoia is simply having more information then everyone else -
- Ignorance is bliss, but knowing what you know, would you forget it to go back? -
2014-08-13, 1:43 PM #19
Haven't checked up on the Episode 7 rumor mill, but are they going with a Lo-Fi Sci-Fi look? Last time I've heard about the movie, they were using more actual sets.

At this point, I just hope for likable and not-so-easily-forgotten-Sci-Fi-archetypes characters. The actors listed so far are great, and I hope J.J. and the writers (Kasdan still on?) allow them to use their strengths in acting. One of the biggest disappointments I have with the prequels (admittedly when I got older and rewatched them and other movies) is that there are a handful of great actors in those films but none of their potential seem to shine. As it was said before, Lucas wasn't an actor's director.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-08-17, 4:28 PM #20
I just read on another forum that the villain and plot have been leaked, so now I am officially going radio-silence on ep. 7. I had the new Star Treks mostly spoiled, but I want to watch new Star Wars with zero knowledge.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-08-17, 4:50 PM #21
Originally posted by Tracer:
the villain and plot have been leaked

Or do what I did, watch Ventures Bros Season 1 Episode 20 "Love-Bheits" and then look up the leaked plot to Episode 7, and then lmao.

↑ Up to the top!