Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Crap, lost a bunch of data.
Crap, lost a bunch of data.
2014-09-11, 4:53 PM #1
A couple-two-three weeks ago I was sorting and moving a bunch of stuff and ended up with a bunch of stuff on a portable hdd and I remember thinking that "why'd I put all this stuff on the portable?" Really, most of what I wanted was already there and I was then going to clean up the main hdds and make a move. Damnit, I crossed my legs and knocked the cable and the thing hit the floor and now I can't access it. I didn't even look at my computer for a week. I knew I would get over it and the fact is that nothing important was on there. So many years of moving things from one place to another have left so many copies of things all over and virtually none of it mattered anyway.

I wonder, a few years back our computers were so important, but now we're so connected on "smart" devices that are computers become less used. I know many of you might actually work on your machines so data loss could be severe but I imagine, or hope, you have a back up plan. I have a lot of stuff on an online service plus the multiple copies on different drives so in the end I don't think I have really lost much that I'll miss.

One thing I did want to check on was my license for AnyDVDHD and I found it in my email so I'm good there. I don't use it right now but if I ever get back into the HTPC scene it will be nice to have that lifetime update license. I noticed when I just visited their site that the are looking for people to do some translation for software. Maybe someone here could benefit. https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?61373-Translators-wanted!

Damnit if my phone hasn't been acting up too. Apparently the HTC DNA had some sim card issues so they gave me a new card today. Seems good. We'll see. I literally just got it how I like it as far widgets and theme. Makes me think we should have a phone theme thread to go along with the desktop thread.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2014-09-12, 6:06 AM #2
If you havent tried this... remove the hard drive from it's enclosure. Most of the time portable harddrives are just standard SATA drives (some manufacturers are hardwiring the usb interface now so it's not always true, but thats rare). Maybe the drive itself is intact and just the sata->usb or power supply circuitry is damaged. Attach it to your PC like an standard internal harddrive.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2014-09-12, 6:18 PM #3
Nah, I'm good. I don't think I lost anything I can't recover. I've actually already disassembled the drive and used the internal piece to connect to a drive I found along time ago. It's only an inconvenience.

However, my phone with the new sim card lost connectivity with the card for a time earlier today. We'll continue to monitor this situation.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!