Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What are you playing right now?
What are you playing right now?
2014-11-04, 10:22 AM #1
We have a similar thread over in the music forum board, and I figured it'd be neat to have something similar for the games we play.

At minimum, please post which game you're playing at the time and something specific about it that you'd like to talk about. Examples like "Super Mario Bros. 3 -- World 6-1. Damn that ice!" or "Antichamber -- that part with the pit with the word "FLY" over it I'm stuck at" or "Super Smash Bros. 3DS -- beating up way too many Little Macs as Fox in Online Mode." Beyond that, you're encouraged to tell a story, post pictures/videos/links about your experience, etc. so long as it's something you're doing presently (or at least as close as you can). It does not have to be a video game; anything you're playing qualifies.

---------------------------------------

Cards Against Humanity (Crabs Adjust Humidity/Cards & Punishment) -- having played "Mi'lady" to "You had me at _______"
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2014-11-04, 12:27 PM #2
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/TIT_zpsadab9947.jpg]

3 in Three - A puzzle game for old-school Macs (running it via minimac V on my PC). Haven't got past that puzzle (which is the first after the intro, WOWZ FGR GOOD AT GAMEZ :cool:), all of those words are something beginning with blue .

(The hint for "blue blood" would be aristocrat, "high price stock" for "blue chip", "factory workers" for "blue collar", architect's drawing for "blue print", fruit for "blue berry", "award for the best" for "blue ribbon", "country music" for "blue grass", and "bird" for "blue tit" HEE HEE but I guess I'm just not good at synonyms. Or any-nyms! Anyms! Oy!)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-04, 5:52 PM #3
My genitalia................later.

Serious answer: I recently played (1st time) Final Fantasy X. I still haven't beat Sin because I'm ridiculously underleveled and will probably get curb stomped by Sin. So now I fired up the 'ol NWN2 and trolloping through that. I want to create a module. Ideas?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2014-11-04, 9:05 PM #4
Borderlands 2. This game is probably at its most fun when you're three or four levels above the recommended level for your quest.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-11-05, 1:07 AM #5
I've been playing a bit of SkyDrift, which I got on sale for next to nothing, & have been pleasantly surprised by it. I completed the single-player campaign yesterday & have been playing it online with a friend. It's basically Wipeout (one of the few racing games that I've enjoyed up until now), but with airplanes.
? :)
2014-11-05, 4:02 AM #6
Right now I'm playing a ton of Kerbal Space Program. Several trips to the moons so far, haven't attempted interplanetary yet, although I think I'm going to build a space station first.

In addition to that, still flying in War Thunder getting closer to mastering all Tier II aircraft, Borderlands 2 on a TVHM play-through, and some Terraria in hardmode.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2014-11-05, 4:32 AM #7
Farcry 3. Not very far into it and so far I've mainly been hunting the wildlife so that I craft stuff to carry a reasonable amount of ammunition. At the start of the game I had a lot of moments where I'd suddenly realise the grass was full of Komodo dragons and start shooting; then nearby pirates would hone in on me and start a firefight and when I'd finally dealt with that and lost all my ammunition, a leopard or tiger would spring out of the grass moments later and end it all.

Also Ace of Spades but barely anyone plays that any more and the amount of griefing going on is pretty terrible.
2014-11-05, 4:50 AM #8
Farming Simulator 15. After one week I am 35 hours in. Game of the year.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-05, 7:25 AM #9
Been playing XCOM: Enemy Within quite a bit, and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Probably going to check out Shadow of Mordor next time it's on sale due to the ~*rave reviews*~ it has received from so many ~*unethical games journalists*~.
2014-11-05, 8:17 AM #10
You should probably just play it because it's an outstanding game.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-05, 11:00 AM #11
I heard Monolith Productions slept with Dan Stapleton for a good review.
2014-11-05, 11:09 AM #12
Uh oh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-05, 11:36 AM #13
Originally posted by Antony:
You should probably just play it because it's an outstanding game.

Didn't I just say that I was going to play it because I read reviews telling me it was outstanding?
2014-11-05, 7:44 PM #14
The Quiet Year -- was really surprised to find out that we played through all of the winter season and that it ended far different than I expected. The map we made during the gameplay below.
2014-11-05, 10:59 PM #15
Cool thread.

I'll talk about the interesting indie titles I've been playing to establish cred, but if I'm honest I play a lot of Insurgency. It is just the right blend of real and arcade shooting that I want out of a repetitive shooter. I wish the screen blur was as dramatic as it was during the mod, as suppressing targets was actually useful at one point, where you can aim through the effects of being suppressed now. I highly recommend it if you want a more tense, semi-tactical shooter for 15 bucks.

I also really enjoy Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior for very similar reasons as I appreciate Insurgency. The realistic sword combat can be a blast, if not a bit random. There's a lot of variety in the classes, and when you fight someone who's more of a match, the techniques and tension are really high. It feels like old JK in a lot of ways, and I think many of you would enjoy yourselves. It's also inexpensive. For a bit more of what I consider balance and team tactics, check out the original Chivalry, too.

Another vice is Spelunky. I'm not even very good at it and it frustrates the hell out of me, but I still play it regularly. Team Fortress 2 always gets a round or two like I have to, but I enjoy this less and less as time goes on.

King Arthur's Gold is a really well balanced, under-appreciated 2D side scrolling competitive team building and fighting game with swords and bows and it's actually really fun and well balanced but really hard. Like Terraria+Soldat+NES. (Kind of looks like Towerfall could be in that equation too.)

Delver isn't amazing or anything, but I enjoy its concepts and I also like the constant updating the devs do.

Battle Block Theater is some amazing drunken fun. I bought a second x-box-controller-for-pc for this. I am actually considering buying 2 more for Towerfall, which looks like I would be addicted.

I went back and am playing some older games, too. I got Spore in the Halloween deals and quickly saw the allure of that game wear out. It's a great 2 or 3 hour experience, but the tribal stage gets a little trying. I wish they'd done a Spore 2 and expanded on these ideas instead of expansions. Early Tomb Raider jumping puzzles are both just as frustrating, but also interesting to figure out on your own as back in the day, and I think people were too hard on the 3D platforming in it for how exact and precise it feels. Old tactical games like Shadowrun and Geneforge are hard for me to consume in large doses, but a quick game here or there has been a blast, as I'm building up into playing more XCOM because I enjoyed so much when I first played, but felt so bad at it and wanted to get better at tactical games instead of lowering the difficulty.

Hoboy I'm replaying Tripple Triad. I would say I'm replaying "FF8" but I'm actually just using all of the tricks I know to make the game part easy and just score as many cards as I can. Or at least, I would if I weren't just stocking up on multiples of the base cards from the doctor in the first opened area. I am so addicted to TT it's kind of sad.

I've gotten a lot busier, and I've actually made it a point to play games more instead of less, since I feel like I enjoy them a lot more when I am busy and take a few hours to enjoy something. Same with films. Binging is indulgent, but lowers the impact of media.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2014-11-06, 6:33 AM #16
I've been catching up with some titles of the Assassin's Creed series I never got around to playing.

In the past few weeks I've played AC2, AC Brotherhood, and I'm currently playing Revelations.

What I like most about the games is the historical locations. Having been in most of the games' main locations (Venice, Rome, Istanbul), it's really fun running around and recognizing places. Even though the game takes some artistic liberties in some of the details, what I really like is how places that aren't even listed as important landmarks (like some little squares in Rome) are instantly recognizable.

Aside from that I love the gameplay. I especially like being able to recruit and train assassins, and tinkering with bombs. I like to make up a strategy when going to attack an enemy stronghold and play it out as cleverly as possible.

I also thought the puzzles in AC2 and especially Brotherhood were pretty good. Usually puzzles in games are way too easy, but there were some decent ones that really made me think for a while.

These games have all the good qualities of Tomb Raider games... nice tombs to explore, puzzles to solve, great platforming, only it's completely open world (a freedom most of the TR games lack) and has an enjoyable combat system (which only the last TR had).
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2014-11-07, 3:55 PM #17
I beat Dynamite Jack the other day, which I really enjoyed, & I just started playing The Room, which looks like it's going to be short, but it's quite interesting & relaxing.
2014-11-07, 9:17 PM #18
Originally posted by Mentat:
I beat Dynamite Jack the other day, which I really enjoyed, & I just started playing The Room, which looks like it's going to be short, but it's quite interesting & relaxing.

When you said "The Room," I found myself hoping you meant this adaptation of one of the greatest films ever made.
2014-11-07, 10:15 PM #19
SWTOR... i was bored and figured i'd give it a try

melee combat is awful... the story elements are keeping me barely interested enough to suffer through it...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2014-11-11, 8:21 PM #20
Occasionally playing CS:GO. I have fun when the team carries me.

That's about it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-11, 8:43 PM #21
Super Hexagon - needing to declutter my mind and wishing this game supported an analog dial control
2014-11-12, 8:31 PM #22
Quarriors - first time trying it out, and a neat spin on the 'deck building' game genre

Splendor - had possibly my worst luck at it tonight, still surprisingly fun
2014-11-13, 4:09 AM #23
I'm currently playing though Tomb Raider: Drake's Imitation and really enjoying it.

I've a little pile of games still wrapped in plastic sitting for me to go through including The Last of Us, Max Payne 3, and the entire God of War trilogy along with the endless Steam things. Tomb Raider's the first game I've played through in a year so I figure I've got enough to last until I'm 40.
nope.
2014-11-13, 5:19 PM #24
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
SWTOR... i was bored and figured i'd give it a try

melee combat is awful... the story elements are keeping me barely interested enough to suffer through it...

build a blaster jedi
2014-11-13, 6:23 PM #25
  • Dishonored
  • Dust: An Elysian Tale
2014-11-13, 7:00 PM #26
Mario Kart 7 - didn't have my own copy at the time, so I played as Shy Guy and got in 2nd in the Banana Cup (I think) with a coworker.
2014-11-13, 9:13 PM #27

Only one game for me
2014-11-14, 4:27 AM #28
Originally posted by Mentat:
  • Dishonored
  • Dust: An Elysian Tale

If you like Dishonored, you should get the extra levels starring Daud, who was voiced by none other than Michael Madsen.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-14, 6:14 AM #29
I haven't played videogames all week. Nothing seems interesting.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-14, 6:22 AM #30
I can't wait for this to become the Dragon Age: Inquisition thread.
2014-11-14, 6:39 AM #31
THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN, M&M.

Been playing Legless Lego Legolas (Lego Lord of the Rings) w/ my girlfriend for about a week. It's a pretty good time. I'm really glad it's got the actual movie audio in it.
2014-11-14, 2:27 PM #32
I haven't played videogames all week. Nothing seems interesting.

This is exactly what I experience when I think of video games
2014-11-14, 2:49 PM #33
Originally posted by Reid:
This is exactly what I experience when I think of video games

1) There's a lot of variety in video games these days; it's not all shooters and platformers.
2) For this thread...

Originally posted by Gebohq:
It does not have to be a video game; anything you're playing qualifies.

If there are NO games you've been playing (board, card, sports, etc.) then I suspect you are a very dull person.

Mario Kart 8 -- quickly trying out the new Cups and racers/karts. Not a fan of how Link's bike handles, but I've found that to be the case with most bikes in 8. The new tracks are neat, and they should just get on with making Mario Kart into Super Smash Kart already. That, and make a new F-Zero game, in-house. Don't get me wrong, Sega did a good job with GX, but I still prefer X and the original.
2014-11-14, 3:17 PM #34
Been trying to play Oblivion but I don't have the time.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-11-14, 6:47 PM #35
If there are NO games you've been playing (board, card, sports, etc.) then I suspect you are a very dull person.

I suspect this is the smuggest thing that anybody has ever posted on Massassi.
2014-11-14, 6:54 PM #36
Depending on how deeply you are willing to dig into philosophy, and how abstract you're willing to get, you could characterize almost any non-artistic, non-remunerative endeavor undertaken for entertainment as a game.

If we agree to restrict the definition to those things which we conventionally describe as games (such as the examples in your post), then no, there are in fact NO (i.e. zero) games I have played recently. I don't play team sports and I don't enjoy passive consumption as much as I used to. Which is what ALL game nerd **** is, by the way: passive consumption, and yes that even includes your esoteric board games and CCGs.

I don't have that much free time, so I'd rather spend it with my wife, or creating things, or learning about things. Games are rarely a part of that, and when they are, I'm always disappointed.
2014-11-14, 8:10 PM #37
Dude, chill. Yeah, I have a passion for games, and I don't think it should be prioritized over things such as spending time with your loved ones, for instance. If you have fun working or studying or whatever, more power to you. I made that comment as a hyperbolic response to "I find video games uninteresting" since it seemed people were only thinking of video games and, yes, I think that there's usually at least one traditionally-defined game out there that's interesting to any given person.

For what it's worth, I apologize to everyone who was insulted by my comment.
2014-11-14, 9:19 PM #38
Dude, chill. Yeah, I have a passion for games, and I don't think it should be prioritized over things such as spending time with your loved ones, for instance. If you have fun working or studying or whatever, more power to you. I made that comment as a hyperbolic response to "I find video games uninteresting" since it seemed people were only thinking of video games and, yes, I think that there's usually at least one traditionally-defined game out there that's interesting to any given person.

For what it's worth, I apologize to everyone who was insulted by my comment.

You know what is really fun, too? Playing music, pursuing women, working on cars, etc...
>>untie shoes
2014-11-15, 12:50 AM #39
I find that insomnia leaves me with plenty of time for gaming.
2014-11-15, 8:10 AM #40
You know what is really fun, too? Playing music, pursuing women, working on cars, etc...

Aha! Playing music, you said. Playing. You've just given the game away, sir.

↑ Up to the top!