Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's the most unusual item you own?
What's the most unusual item you own?
2014-11-14, 3:12 PM #1
I don't really own any unusual things, but maybe someone does and they can be interesting to read about.

Well, I do have this one shirt that's unusually homoerotic for a piece of clothing, so I never wear it. I bought it without trying it on and only at home did I realize the extent of its homoeroticism, but then I couldn't take it back because they would have thought I was gay.

Maybe someone owns something truly unusual and thus interesting.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-11-14, 3:16 PM #2
I have .45 round and a 7mm rifle round... I have no idea when or why I acquired them. I also once found a small clay marble but I don't remeber where it is right now, and a pair of Katanas by the fireplace.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-11-14, 5:12 PM #3
I have a real, working sextant somewhere and I'm not even a sea captain.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2014-11-14, 10:00 PM #4
I have a carved, wooden stick about a foot tall, and it stands with a wooden foot as its base. I don't recall how I came to own it, or what its purpose might be. I've long ago stuck a plastic toy Wilson volleyball from the Cast Away movie on top of it.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2014-11-14, 11:24 PM #5
Well, when I was 9 years old and had to go through radiation treatment and my hair was falling off, I just pulled a lock of hair off my head just like that and put it in a minigrip bag.

Sadly, 9 years later when I had to get circumcised, I actually asked the doctors beforehand if I could keep the tip. They were like "no, it's a circumcision" so I had to explain that I wanted to put it in a container labelled "Ernie". After a brief moment of silence they just responded that the remains would be dissected and placed in cry- academic storage. Peh!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-11-15, 8:13 AM #6
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I have .45 round and a 7mm rifle round... I have no idea when or why I acquired them.

Depending on where you have them, it might be a good idea to see a doctor.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-11-15, 9:02 AM #7
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Depending on where you have them, it might be a good idea to see a doctor.

I don't use words to this effect often enough, but you are a goddamn national treasure.
>>untie shoes
2014-11-15, 9:09 AM #8
A Zip disk with the name "Betsy" on it.

I don't have a Zip drive, and I don't know what's on it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-15, 11:07 AM #9
A didgeridoo.

It was just there one morning when I woke up after going out drinking.
nope.
2014-11-15, 7:22 PM #10
I own Nikumubeki's "remains". I keep it in a safety deposit box in a bank across the street from a place called "Hoopers."
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2014-11-15, 7:55 PM #11
You know what, gbk? Thanks for stealing what I was about to post. I looked at the forum index, and I saw the name "gbk" underneath, and instantly though, "hey, I'll make a gbk joke about possessing his remains".

And then gbk mad the gbk joke!
2014-11-16, 12:51 AM #12
I own a mainframe hard drive from the, I guess, early 80s. I have no idea what it came from, and all of my research can't pinpoint any information on it. The previous owner had no idea, either.

I picked up a coat from a thrift store. Turned out to be an East German army greatcoat.

I probably have more items that I find usual, but those are the main ones I can think of.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2014-11-16, 7:24 AM #13
****, I don't know, I don't have much besides my desktop, living essentials and books. I guess this old oscilloscope is the closest
2014-11-16, 8:06 AM #14
Somewhere around the house, there is a Scientology artifact that my brother found in a junkyard or pawnshop some years ago. If I find it again, I'll post pictures.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2014-11-16, 8:16 AM #15
I inherited a small harpoon which is a bit unusual for someone living in the desert. My grandfather also used to send me lizard and frog skeletons for some reason. I thought I got rid of them, but apparently still have them.

I actually own a lot of weird things come to think of it.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2014-11-16, 9:20 AM #16
I have various and assorted old cameras.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2014-11-16, 3:43 PM #17
I inherited all of your souls from Brian, but that's not really unusual, just excessive.

I don't think I really own anything truly unusual anymore, but I have a 3D printer, and it's pretty cool?
2014-11-17, 3:20 AM #18
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I inherited all of your souls from Brian, but that's not really unusual, just excessive.

I don't think I really own anything truly unusual anymore, but I have a 3D printer, and it's pretty cool?

What kind?
nope.
2014-11-17, 5:15 AM #19
This one: http://printrbot.com/shop/assembled-simple-metal/

It's one of the cheapest out there, definitely the cheapest not made of wood (which makes it a hell of a lot more sturdy and reliable). All 3D printers take a bunch of tuning, but this one at least takes care of the most dangerous tuning semi-automatically. It has a leveling probe that ensures the extruder doesn't smash into the bed and carve a nice design in the metal for you. A LOT of printers require manual z-axis leveling, even ones that cost a helluva lot more. So overall, been really happy with it, but it's definitely only a hobby. You really have to be willing to spend the time to tweak the settings and work with different bed adhesion methods to get great prints.
2014-11-17, 5:44 AM #20
I've had bad experience with hobby 3D printers so far, despite these devices maturing. Something gets loosen or misaligned, and the thing stops producing good models. I understand you have to carefully take care of it and fine tune it, but I don't want to baby the thing as well.

Giving a look at your purchased model, having only linear drives (instead of pulleys) and metal structure look like advantages. And the probe is a good add too. Best of luck.

You should print out the low-poly version of the Stormtrooper from JK. With the boxy bodies and all. Kinda wanted to do that.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2014-11-21, 4:12 PM #21
I have a barb from a Taser X26 cartridge.
woot!
2014-11-21, 5:20 PM #22
I have a Fijian cannibal fork somewhere

↑ Up to the top!