Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ITT: we talk about television
ITT: we talk about television
2015-01-07, 8:54 PM #1
Which TV shows are you watching and which are you curious in? I'm watching House of Cards and loving it, and I'm thinking of watching the Americans next.

Please use spoiler tags!
2015-01-07, 9:21 PM #2
I have an LG.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-07, 10:08 PM #3
lol, the ol' switcharoo, classic
2015-01-07, 10:47 PM #4
Eh, ever since I started working on TODOA I've more or less stopped watching TV altogether.

Turns out that working on "life projects" has its side effects.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-01-07, 11:31 PM #5
I've been watching Fringe.

I like it.
2015-01-08, 7:19 AM #6
Watching Black Mirror, which is pretty great.

Also rewatching Twin Peaks, one episode per week, and listening to the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast from Idle Thumbs: https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/

Making very slow progress through Star Trek: TNG with my girlfriend. She enjoys it, but it's not necessarily the most gripping, gotta-watch-the-next-one type of TV program, so.
2015-01-08, 1:20 PM #7
Nothing at the moment, but I think I might start watching Broadchurch.
nope.
2015-01-08, 2:55 PM #8
Oz.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2015-01-08, 3:05 PM #9
Oh, and just finished watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand again. Will start either Vengeance or Gods of the Arena next.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2015-01-08, 3:45 PM #10
Started watching Marco Polo; loosely interested but I want to see what the Mongols and the Song are up to far more than the Polo/forbidden princess love story they've jammed in the middle of it.
2015-01-08, 6:44 PM #11
I should buy one.
2015-01-08, 7:25 PM #12
Full disclosure: When I replied to this thread, the OP was blank.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-08, 7:44 PM #13
Backpedal.

2015-01-08, 8:13 PM #14
This is massassi. We say "backpeddle" here.

:cool:
2015-01-08, 8:18 PM #15
I spell it the way Emon spells it.

2015-01-08, 11:11 PM #16
We could always start talking about why you can't possibly understand what makes Oz good.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-09, 6:11 AM #17
Is it 'cause of how you laugh the day away in the merry old land of Oz?
nope.
2015-01-09, 6:33 AM #18
Originally posted by Antony:
We could always start talking about why you can't possibly understand what makes Oz good.

Yeah that totally seems like a good direction for this thread to go.
2015-01-09, 7:00 AM #19
Originally posted by Recusant:
Started watching Marco Polo; loosely interested but I want to see what the Mongols and the Song are up to far more than the Polo/forbidden princess love story they've jammed in the middle of it.

That's neato that they made a show based off a swimming pool game.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-01-09, 1:08 PM #20
Quote:
Full disclosure: When I replied to this thread, the OP was blank.

Yeah, for whatever reason CM doesn't have "paste as plain text" as the default for paste

Annoying..
2015-01-09, 1:14 PM #21
Quote:
I've been watching Fringe.

I like it.

I'm normally not a fan of science fiction; what is Fringe about? I don't mind some science fiction viz. HG Wells, but I find too much science fiction ends up being technofantasy which I don't really enjoy

Quote:
Making very slow progress through Star Trek: TNG with my girlfriend. She enjoys it, but it's not necessarily the most gripping, gotta-watch-the-next-one type of TV program, so.

You're making your girlfriend watch Star Trek with you? She must really love you
2015-01-09, 1:17 PM #22
My old lady has been watching Sons of Anarchy. Says it's good. I can't sit still for long enough to watch a TV show these days.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2015-01-09, 1:25 PM #23
Originally posted by Reid:
You're making your girlfriend watch Star Trek with you? She must really love you

Yes, no woman has ever watched Star Trek voluntarily.
2015-01-09, 1:32 PM #24
Originally posted by FastGamerr:

This is an accurate statement.
2015-01-09, 1:38 PM #25
Sigh.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot-disapprovak_zps2cbb6ef1.png]
2015-01-09, 1:39 PM #26

Sigh.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot-disapprovak_zps2cbb6ef1.png]
2015-01-09, 1:41 PM #27
Eh, ever since I started working on TODOA I've more or less stopped watching TV altogether.

Turns out that working on "life projects" has its side effects.

Sigh.

2015-01-09, 1:45 PM #28

eh, yeah, i guess you have a point. it was a stupid stereotype
2015-01-09, 3:16 PM #29

Same thing that makes Spartacus good, I assume. Graphic violence and homoerotic content.

2015-01-09, 5:39 PM #30
If we're talking about Netflix, I went through that new Sherlock series (the one with Benedict Cumberpatch). Enjoyed it much although some parts felt contrived. Liked the characters.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-01-09, 7:23 PM #31
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Same thing that makes Spartacus good, I assume. Graphic violence and homoerotic content.

There's actually a lot of terrific subtext in Oz that relates directly to how the prison world isn't really any different than the outside world. Watch it with that in mind and you may have enjoy it even more.

Spartacus is pretty much junk food, and I could never really get over the fact that it's such a blatant stylistic ripoff of 300, but if you're just looking to see some steakheads lop parts off of each other, it would be hard to find a better show to watch.

In all honesty, sorry I was being a douche before. It wasn't really warranted, and I'll fully admit that it's a result of being in a lousy mood for the last few days.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-09, 7:26 PM #32
On actual topic: I've been re-watching the entire series of Sons of Anarchy. The first two seasons of that show are utterly and unbelievably excellent television, and it kind of snowballs like crazy into being really way too serious all the damned time, but it still remains an incredibly watchable show.

I wasn't a huge fan of the finale of season 6 (anyone who watched it will know exactly what I'm referring to), and it kind of killed my love for the show for a while, but the series finale is so utterly incredibly good that it wiped away all of the ill will I had toward what was ultimately a storytelling decision that I didn't like.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-09, 7:30 PM #33
I'm normally not a fan of science fiction; what is Fringe about? I don't mind some science fiction viz. HG Wells, but I find too much science fiction ends up being technofantasy which I don't really enjoy
technofantasy

viz.

:huh:
2015-01-09, 10:32 PM #34
I've been on a TV break on account of my time being taken up by Dragon Age: Inquisition and a job. Re-watching the first season of Community when I have the time.

ETA: Fringe is underrated. I still found it hard to stick with through later seasons, though.

also i heard Sons of Anarchy is Hamlet, and i don't give william shakespeare my money

and my girlfriend is a much bigger fan of Star Trek than i am. i'm editing this post too much.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2015-01-10, 7:21 AM #35
Originally posted by zanardi:
My old lady has been watching Sons of Anarchy. Says it's good. I can't sit still for long enough to watch a TV show these days.

Sounds like you already live it anyway.

I enjoyed SoA. Some of you might remember me bringing up the show a few years back. Fairly recently got back into it and started it over with my wife. I've always held that virtually every character in the show is bad and, being as several are killed throughout, virtually all of the deaths, to me, are pretty emotionless. Like any show it has its ups and downs and I still really liked the show. There is supposed to be a prequel series coming which reminds me that the Better Call Saul show is coming as well. I don't have any form of subscription TV other than streaming so it will likely be years before I get into that one.

An incomplete list of other shows of I consider noteworthy are:
Breaking Bad (of course) - no explanation needed
Hell on Wheels - pretty excellent post-civil war railroad drama, short seasons means you catch up quickly and then are forced to wait for new episodes
Mad Men - hard to believe people can smoke that much, I think I read in wikipedia the actors smoke herbals, I finished the next to last season, not sure if the last one is in progress yet or not, curious to see how they wrap it up
Band of Brothers - if you've never watched it stop what you're doing and go do it, now

2015-01-10, 9:37 AM #36
The thing about SoA is that almost everyone is bad, but you're the first person I've ever encountered who doesn't like them anyway.

There are "good" characters, too, though. Naturally they get it worse than anyone.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-10, 10:37 AM #37
It's not that I don't like any of them. I would probably consider Opie my favorite character. But in the end he was guilty of just as much evil stuff as anyone else so it's hard to feel any remorse when he's killed. Jax was the same way. Leading in to the final episode I wanted him to go down so hard. The entire club. They did a good job of making his decision and death seem admirable but he was still one evil SoB (see what I did there!?) . Just my two cents and not particularly well fleshed out but I have to get running.

2015-01-10, 12:24 PM #38
I think it's made pretty clear in the finale that Jax has realized that he's irredeemably evil.
>>untie shoes
2015-01-10, 4:54 PM #39
I generally hate TV, and avoid the damn contraption like the plague, unless in the exceptional instances that I'm bored out of my mind.

Every now and then I'll watch the news or some discussion programs, and sometimes I catch up with a series, but I'll just stream or download them.

I feel thoroughly dirty for admitting this, but lately I found myself watching Beauty and the Geek on The Ladies Channel in the wee hours of the morning, and actually enjoying it. In some ways it's more comical than The Big Bang Theory.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2015-01-10, 6:46 PM #40
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
That's neato that they made a show based off a swimming pool game.

Yeah it's a bit different though 'cos if Kublai catches you he has you rolled up in a carpet and trampled by a thousand horses.

↑ Up to the top!