Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Adepts and Idiots of Massassi
Adepts and Idiots of Massassi
2015-01-15, 10:43 AM #1
What subjects do you consider yourself adept (smart, knowledgeable, skilled), and which do you consider yourself an idiot? Please say why as well, whether it be experience, training, etc.

I'm making this thread because it genuinely interests me what people here seem to be super-smart about. This obviously doesn't keep people who claim they're smart or dumb at something from actually being smart or dumb at that thing, and regardless, please don't turn this thread into why someone who claims to be smart in something actually isn't.

Adept:
  • Games - Focusing on play experience, game play mechanics and design, theory, history, and prior industry experience, primarily with video games. Also studied in "interactive art" in college.
  • (Software) Testing - Partly due to my current and previous jobs, partly due to some training I've taken, primarily in the analytical aspect and less on the technical.
  • Fiction Writing - Primarily through consistent amateur craft and graduating college with an extended minor in writing.
  • Media and Communication Studies - The major I obtained in college; knowing ups and downs of various media, survey of history and theories.
  • Visual Arts - Primarily in animation (my initial major), its history and such, less so in skilled craft.

Idiot:
  • STEM subjects - Particularly in mathematics. I can be competent at the more conceptual aspects (basic logic and theories) which can sometimes go a long way, and as a whole, I feel super-dumb with these areas.
  • Politics and Economics - From the simple level of office politics and managing my own financial future to political and economic theory used across nations to haggling or resource management in games, the whole swath boggles my mind.
  • Foreign Languages - I wasn't ever terribly good at learning even something like French, and learning anything with a different alphabet or huge cultural differences is a high wall for me. I'm lumping programming languages under this as well, though there's a double whammy with that one for the STEM aspect.
  • "Handy man" skills - Don't have them, and an idiot when it comes to that stuff.
  • Music - From personal skill to domain and theoretical knowledge, I've often been terrible with things related to music.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2015-01-15, 10:49 AM #2
Adept:
Wasting time
Survival (for now)

Idiot:
Most things, tbh
Drying hands - I recently made my right wrist sore by drying my hands after washing them
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-01-15, 10:56 AM #3
Geb, I think you should master ONE thing, apart from whatever work in college. You and I are getting older, time's running out.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-01-15, 11:05 AM #4
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Geb, I think you should master ONE thing, apart from whatever work in college. You and I are getting older, time's running out.

That brings up something that probably contributes in large part to what makes me feel like an idiot: specialization vs. generalization. I much prefer, both in what seems more natural to me and what I enjoy, to aim towards generalization, though specialization is by far the more necessary and wise route to take. I much rather wish I could gain some small competency in the things I suck at and theoretically be able to think laterally, be able to improvise, etc. than to become the top expert in any singular speciality.
2015-01-15, 7:14 PM #5
Adept:

Mechanical things. I'm very good at automotive and household chores. I've considered making business cards for general handyman / automotive repair.

Political issues from an originalist constitutional perspective. I'm very good at having an intuitive understanding of the way the American government is supposed to be. I don't give a crap what issue anyone here has with that statement.

Military issues. I'm right, if you disagree, you're wrong. Even if you're a frickin' general. That is on the issues I choose to take a stand on.

Common sense. I just have it. It's another area I just have good intuition in.

I'm generally well versed in enough common topics that I have little issue in day to day life with the common problems that arise.

Inept:

Sports. My dad was a stamp collector. I have very little interest in most sports. Now, I can sit and watch a game but it's unlikely I'll do so often on my own.
There was something else major but I forgot.
Remembering things.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2015-01-15, 8:21 PM #6
Adept:
Nothing.

Idiot:
Absolutely everything.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2015-01-15, 10:30 PM #7
2015-01-16, 2:37 AM #8
Adept

• Entomology - particularly field ID skills. I don't really consider myself to be adept but more competent than most - I reserve "adept" for the guys at the Natural History Museum who can identify tropical Staphylinidae at twenty paces. However, compared to most natural history enthusiasts I apparently know an awful lot on the subject. I was lucky to have some mentoring back in London from some national experts on various groups and now I live in Edinburgh I'm hoping to help get more people enthused and get the ball rolling a bit with entomological recording locally and in Scotland more generally (there are huge gaps in the distribution maps!).
  • My job.
  • Navigation and not dying while up mountains
  • Procrastination

Inept

• Music
  • Not talking about politics at social events
  • Languages, as much as I try.
  • Slacklining

Originally posted by Wookie06:
I'm very good at having an intuitive understanding of the way the American government is supposed to be.

Not trying to be an ass here, but how does an "intuitive understanding" differ from an opinion?
2015-01-16, 6:51 AM #9
Originally posted by Recusant:
Not trying to be an ass here, but how does an "intuitive understanding" differ from an opinion?

Don't feed the troll. He thinks it's funny to do this because OP says not to argue with anyone about their claimed strengths.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2015-01-16, 3:40 PM #10
Originally posted by Recusant:

In my opinion, the word "opinion" would imply that I could be wrong, or that a reasonable difference of opinion could be had. I'm not trying to imply that I am all knowing. There are certainly many issues with regards to the federal government that are not absolute. What is absolute is that the American federal government already operates outside of constitutional framework and is, pretty much, an abomination.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2015-01-16, 5:17 PM #11
Because the people responsible for giving us the constitution were infallible and were able to predict every great technological advance coming down the pipeline. There's no way at all their system could be flawed. The rules of law during that particular time were better at that time than any time before it; every time yet to come. You're constitutionally Amish.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2015-01-16, 6:17 PM #12
Originally posted by Wookie06:
In my opinion, the word "opinion" would imply that I could be wrong, or that a reasonable difference of opinion could be had. I'm not trying to imply that I am all knowing. There are certainly many issues with regards to the federal government that are not absolute. What is absolute is that the American federal government already operates outside of constitutional framework and is, pretty much, an abomination.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.
2015-01-17, 9:37 AM #13
I don't think that I'm adept at anything. I'm one of those "the journey is my destination" types--sort of a modest perfectionist. If I had to choose something that I'm adept at, I'd have to say that I'm pretty good at finding holes in my own game & hushing my ego when it gets too uppity. I've spent the past several years learning to cook & even when people tell me that I've made something great, I'm never satisfied with it--only happy that they enjoyed it.
? :)
2015-01-17, 2:29 PM #14
2015-01-17, 4:34 PM #15
Adept: if it has no real-world application or you can't make money from it, there's a good chance I'm interested in it.

Inept: everything else
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2015-01-17, 7:57 PM #16
Adept: everything

Inept: everything

:psyduck:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2015-01-17, 8:31 PM #17
Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
Adept: everything

Inept: everything

:psyduck:

My primary function is to report my primary function
2015-01-18, 11:13 AM #18
Adept: Accounting. I'm pretty good at it. Which is good considering thats a) my college major and b) my most likely career prospect.
I speak english good. :P
Maths up to the early calculous level. Pretty good at calculating stats and interpreting them now, but I'll likely lose that ability with disuse.
I'm pretty handy with tools and such. I can do simple handyman things.

Inept: Making friends.
Thinking of things to say in a timely manner.
Expressing my self generally. I can do it in writing, but I tend to give more context than is really necessary.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2015-01-18, 1:52 PM #19
I did really well at school. I can skim over a 300 page textbook in about an hour and then pass an exam with an A. I can comprehend things fast.

Problem is, my long term memory is relatively bad. So as the years progressed, I forgot so much about the things I learned, it's frustrating. History, physics, it's all sunk away in the fog. I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to things I've read or learned recently, but older knowledge I have really trouble recalling. I only remember the broad strokes, the details are just gone. It really bothers me when making conversation.

Also, like Gebohq I'm terrible when it comes to all things economic. I don't have trouble managing my money, but when it comes to long term financial planning and such, I'm terrible. Even simple things like taking care of bills and bureaucratic hassle really tires me, and I'm very avoiding and postpone things as long as i can, sometimes even longer.

I have trouble finding things to specialize in. Almost everything interests me, and there's tons of stuff I'd like to know more about, but at the same time I can't really commit to anything in particular.

I'm sure there's more, but this is what comes to mind right now.

I'm also good/adept in a lot of things, I just can't be bothered to list them. Language(s), for one.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2015-01-18, 2:45 PM #20
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
I did really well at school. I can skim over a 300 page textbook in about an hour and then pass an exam with an A. I can comprehend things fast.

You're making me green with envy here. I'm the opposite of this, and I hate it. I'll often have to reread a single line of text multiple times over to grasp its meaning, so imagine what reading a full textbook is like. Sometimes I'll actually resort to rewriting the whole textbook in my own words to force my brain to process the information. Other times I'll just jot down a bunch of sentences or even just keywords of my own describing the important points of each chapter, which of course takes less time but is also not as effective. If I just read the text without forcing my brain to process its meaning, it's often as though I haven't read it at all.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2015-01-18, 6:25 PM #21
Originally posted by Krokodile:
You're making me green with envy here. I'm the opposite of this, and I hate it. I'll often have to reread a single line of text multiple times over to grasp its meaning, so imagine what reading a full textbook is like. Sometimes I'll actually resort to rewriting the whole textbook in my own words to force my brain to process the information. Other times I'll just jot down a bunch of sentences or even just keywords of my own describing the important points of each chapter, which of course takes less time but is also not as effective. If I just read the text without forcing my brain to process its meaning, it's often as though I haven't read it at all.

I used to be exactly like you, but then I learned how to do it. As crazy as it may sound, you process things faster and remember them better when you read fast. Also, the first sentence in any paragraph is usually the most important. If that sentence tells you enough, you don't even need to read the rest of the paragraph unless you need more explanation. Of course this doesn't work as well for every subject, but it's definitely a skill that can be learned.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2015-01-19, 8:35 PM #22
Adept:
- Actual constitutional law and not just "originalist"/"textualist"/"literalist"/made-up justifications for policy positions I've already decided on. Come at me bro.
- The federal disaster relief loan process.
- Telephone customer service, especially WRT legal matters.
- Memory, generally. If I find a thing interesting, it sticks with me forever.
- General beer knowledge. If you can tell me one or two of your favorite beers, I'll find you something at the bar you're guaranteed to like (assuming sufficient selection). And then, if you ask, or if I'm drunk enough not to care whether you asked, I'll tell you about the history of the brewery you've ordered from, the history of the style of beer you're drinking, similar beers you might want to try...

Inept
- Homebrewing. Like, ruining batches by making the dumbest possible mistakes. Maybe the worst on the planet at this.
- Family law. No thanks.
- Cooking. I make the same seven or so recipes over and over again and they're all good but I can't do anything else.
- Videography. There are like five pages of the TV thread I can't make any sense of, and there are only four pages of the TV thread.
2015-01-19, 8:51 PM #23
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
- Family law. No thanks.

What's"family law" in the context you refer?
2015-01-19, 8:53 PM #24
Divorce, custody, and child support, mostly. I know ****-all about it and I don't want to know any more than ****-all.
2015-01-20, 10:46 AM #25
Adept: drinking

Idiot: software, hardware, romance, finances, social interaction, personal hygiene
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!