Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK on Win10
JK on Win10
2015-01-15, 7:04 PM #1
I got the technical preview on Win10 2 months ago I think and I have been trying to get JK to work on it.

I used the JK patch from todoa I think it was from which enables 32 bit and it works in full screen and everything except the HUD, crosshair, and map flicker like crazy... see the screen shots

[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/xMasterKatarnx/20150115_213907_zps9c8bcf65.jpg]
[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/xMasterKatarnx/20150115_213911_zps65055f02.jpg]
[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/xMasterKatarnx/20150115_213924_zps71d56c8b.jpg]
[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/xMasterKatarnx/20150115_213934_zps80a7971f.jpg]
[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/xMasterKatarnx/20150115_214023_zpse41bc1ae.jpg]

This is a Dell Optiplex 760
Core 2 Duo 3.33 GHz
4 GB of Ram
Windows 10 Technical Preview (latest version) 64 Bit
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

I made a jkhub post
http://jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=751

Not much more there just 2 or 3 posts.

Any ideas or suggestions?

There is no 32 bit patch for MotS either which is needed, I think a ddraw wrapper is needed?

Also want to add that JK and MotS will not work with an AMD graphics card past version 13.1 on Windows 7 not sure about Windows 10. Not an issue for me since all my PCs have Nvidia cards but a few people in the community use AMD cards.
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2015-01-15, 7:18 PM #2
Interesting... I actually thought of trying this a few days ago, but completely forgot by the time I got home. I find those artifacts to be pretty peculiar... I'll try it out in a bit and see what I can get. I'll post my results, once I do.

Thanks for bringing this up!
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2015-01-15, 7:25 PM #3
Thanks Admiral Zarn! Also forgot to add that if you press + till the HUD disappears then the flashing stops, its only when it is visible.
2015-01-16, 6:54 AM #4
Considering Windows 10 is still in hardcore beta, I wouldn't even try to fix it.
2015-01-16, 7:32 AM #5
On the topic of Windows 10, I've been out of the loop since I still use 7: are there good things to expect out of 10? I've googled reactions but it's hard to muck through the BS since editors and reporters like to harp on 8's problems over and over.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-01-16, 9:20 AM #6
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
On the topic of Windows 10, I've been out of the loop since I still use 7: are there good things to expect out of 10? I've googled reactions but it's hard to muck through the BS since editors and reporters like to harp on 8's problems over and over.

I really like it so far. I fell in love with 7 and being an IT admin for an insurance company I use it all day long. I hate 8 with a passion for laptops and desktops. 10 brings back the familiarity of 7 but adds tiles to the right of the start menu if you want them or you can disable them which is cool. It is super fast too I mean look at the specs of that test machine it's nothing to write home about but Win10 boots up in seconds perhaps even faster than my custom built desktop with a SSD and Windows 7.

Fun thing is that the menus and cut-scenes work in full screen on Windows 10 which I haven't seen since XP. Really brought back some nostalgia.
2015-01-16, 12:18 PM #7
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

I've been using Win10 preview for a couple months now (skipped 8). I can see people *****ing about having to login with a windows ID. But that seems to be the new thing these days. I mean you have to do that with OS X too. Otherwise, yeah I like 10 so far but I've run into a few issues with it being a Beta. Manly just regarding the Unreal Engine.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2015-01-16, 5:17 PM #8
Originally posted by zanardi:
I've been using Win10 preview for a couple months now (skipped 8). I can see people *****ing about having to login with a windows ID. But that seems to be the new thing these days. I mean you have to do that with OS X too. Otherwise, yeah I like 10 so far but I've run into a few issues with it being a Beta. Manly just regarding the Unreal Engine.

Windows IDs are not required (at least they're not on Windows 8.1, I doubt that's changed). The option to skip using the ID is pretty fine print though during setup.

Also, Andrew L: Menu stuff started working again in Windows 8 when they fixed compatibility with palette graphics. I am guessing that the game still has severe problems if you use 3D acceleration though.
2015-01-16, 5:53 PM #9
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Windows IDs are not required (at least they're not on Windows 8.1, I doubt that's changed). The option to skip using the ID is pretty fine print though during setup.

That makes sense. At the same time I could see them requiring it for the preview? Maybe I'm wrong. Oh and another thing, the build 9879 has completely broke the ability to use the Oculus rift and my Corsair K70 keyboard no longer recognizes caps/num/scroll lock state so the lights don't work. Other people have reported the same issues.
2015-01-16, 6:40 PM #10
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Also, Andrew L: Menu stuff started working again in Windows 8 when they fixed compatibility with palette graphics. I am guessing that the game still has severe problems if you use 3D acceleration though.

CM This is what happens.

With vanilla JK in 8 bit it works 100%
in 16 bit the screen is completely black but the HUD is there and you can hear sounds and such but can't see anything

with the 2013 patch which adds 32 bit it works except the flickering HUD as you can see above.
2015-01-16, 8:23 PM #11
Is Windows 10 really just "8.2" or are we talking some seriously new things that make it jump an entire major version number (what happened to 9?).

If my career wasn't tied to Microsoft (sort of), I would be thinking of other operating systems if Windows 10 turns out to be rubbish. Which, for all intents and purposes, Apple.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2015-01-16, 8:32 PM #12
Originally posted by dalf:
Is Windows 10 really just "8.2" or are we talking some seriously new things that make it jump an entire major version number (what happened to 9?).

If my career wasn't tied to Microsoft (sort of), I would be thinking of other operating systems if Windows 10 turns out to be rubbish. Which, for all intents and purposes, Apple.

OS X is great as long as you can stand everything that's wrong with it (it's a lot of things). I use it on my Macbook mostly because running anything but OS X is a joke, thanks to drivers. Still doesn't help that OS X's idea of window management is... not to have any.
2015-01-16, 9:06 PM #13
OSX 10.10 is a little better: the window management is to maximize every app in its own workspace.

In totally unrelated news, I recently bought an iPad.
2015-01-16, 9:36 PM #14

If I were to give 10 a new name, it would probably be 7.5, honestly.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2015-01-17, 4:56 AM #15

7 ATE 9 :downs:
2015-01-19, 12:53 PM #16
I think they skipped 9 because of Win 9x.
2015-01-20, 3:29 AM #17
I've had problems like this in the past on Win7. Generally messing around with the antialiasing options (turning off to start with) in the GPU driver settings always fixed it for me.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

↑ Up to the top!