Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars: Uprising (a new POST-ROTJ game)...
Star Wars: Uprising (a new POST-ROTJ game)...
2015-06-04, 10:40 AM #1
Sadly only for mobile devices... but still it is interesting none the less. My first impression is that they are rewriting Thrawn.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcZBu2Cy0TA&feature=youtu.be
Nothing to see here, move along.
2015-06-04, 11:11 AM #2
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
only for mobile devices... but still it is interesting none the less. [/video]

if you say so...
2015-06-04, 11:23 AM #3
Moisture Farmville
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2015-06-04, 11:57 AM #4
Originally posted by saberopus:
if you say so...

Maybe I should clarify. The game itself doesn't look like something I would want to play. However, supposedly it is one of the several items of merchandise that ties EPVI and VII together. It is rather stupid to have to play a mobile game to learn a little more background (which will probably won't be very much itself), along with comics and novels.

On this note, there are also a bunch of new star wars novels coming in September, some take place between OT movies, that all have hints and plot points that lead up to EPVII.
2015-06-04, 5:34 PM #5
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Moisture Farmville

You are the worst.
>>untie shoes
2015-06-04, 6:33 PM #6
Technically almost all video games are post-ROTJ games if you really think about it
2015-06-04, 6:59 PM #7
2015-06-04, 7:20 PM #8
i meant in a narrative sense
2015-06-04, 7:21 PM #9
like I don't know if battlefield vietnam is a post-ROTJ game, but battlefield 2 definitely is
2015-06-04, 8:27 PM #10
Originally posted by Jon`C:
like I don't know if battlefield vietnam is a post-ROTJ game, but battlefield 2 definitely is

Well Star Wars DOES take place "a long time ago" so... yes?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2015-06-04, 8:32 PM #11
ty i was worried nobody would understand
2015-06-04, 9:27 PM #12
Disney still might not understand, with them saying that only the 6 films and the Clone Wars cartoons (and now certain things after they're making) are considered 'canon' so maybe only other Disney-licensed/owned video games count... which is still a good amount.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2015-06-04, 10:12 PM #13
2015-06-04, 10:50 PM #14
Jesus Christ.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-06-05, 12:04 AM #15
2015-06-05, 6:31 AM #16
Can't we ever had one thread these days that doesn't immediately turn into a ****ing trainwreck?
nope.
2015-06-05, 6:40 AM #17
Baconfish, I'm going to say no, we honestly can't. Seriously, at this point, how could we?
2015-06-05, 7:10 AM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Can't we ever had one thread these days that doesn't immediately turn into a ****ing trainwreck?

We are all on deathrow, and the insanity is on maximum overdrive.
2015-06-05, 8:07 AM #19
2015-06-05, 8:37 AM #20
2015-06-05, 8:38 AM #21
Originally posted by Reid:
In all seriousness though, I know this is a forum dedicated to a Star Wars game, but how do you expect to really have a meaningful discussion about a mobile Star Wars game? I want you really to outline the potential conversation, because I don't see any road in which that discussion would be interesting. I'm tired of the forced media consumption hype train.
Yeah, well, ignoring the socioeconomic aspect of it:

I've watched the trailer and read every word on the game's website and there is literally nothing saying what kind of game it actually is. In fact, there is no real information at all. At the bottom there's a link to a Wookieepedia article which Disney obviously wrote themselves. This article mentions the game is being developed by Kabam, a maker of easy-button licensed f2p strategy games. So at least instead of wildly speculating on everything, we can wildly speculate on what kind of strategy game it'll be.

And I guess we'd better savor that discussion, since it'll definitely last longer than Star Wars: Uprising does given how short-lived their last game was.

Star Wars is ****.
2015-06-05, 8:41 AM #22
2015-06-05, 8:43 AM #23
Maybe we can talk about the implications of an open-ended RPG with player-directed outcomes being "canon"
2015-06-05, 8:46 AM #24
Quote:
Kabam exec Aaron Loeb describes Uprising as a dungeon crawler, with game levels to trawl for gear and enemies to defeat via gesture-based combat (thanks, Wired).

aaaahahahaha free to play diablo, those are always rad
2015-06-05, 8:49 AM #25
2015-06-05, 8:55 AM #26
2015-06-05, 9:12 AM #27
Originally posted by Reid:
Can't people even remember what a chore diablo became after a few hours?
People can, plucky f2p game startups can't because exploiting psychology is literally all they've got going for them. Top priority is exploiting vulnerable people. Try talking to these people, they are insufferable.

What they don't understand is that Diablo stumbled across the skinner box concept. It wasn't intentional, they were just copying the loot drop convention from roguelikes. It wasn't designed to exploit the psychology that makes us feel rewarded for doing good work. Even otherwise good games designed around the loot lottery feel off-putting; the difference between Diablo 2 and 3, or Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Good sequels, but they never approached the longevity of their prequels. A game designed to exploit psychology first and foremost doesn't stand a chance.

Quote:
I've had this discussion plenty of times with people who circlejerk about the artistic capacity for video games. Either:

1. The player has no control and the story is communicated directly, in which the story could just as easily be told by a movie. (This reflects my own experience, as I'm more likely to just watch a playthrough of a game than to play it, if I only care about the story)

2. The player has control over the story, and the ability of the writers to impart significant meaning is hampered. Assuming the audience has moved on from the choose-your-own-adventure stories we read as children, of course.

At least, this paradox seems obvious to me, maybe not to others.
well player agency vs. narrative cohesion is certainly an important and interesting topic, I was more referring to the logical impossibility of having both player agency and a franchise. It guarantees that either Disney is writing off Anoat forever and will never mention it ever again, or the outcome is predetermined.

I mean, not like it matters. The game won't be live long enough for anybody to see one of these galaxy-shaping space battles.
2015-06-05, 9:48 AM #28
2015-06-05, 11:11 AM #29
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2015-06-06, 1:20 AM #30
Originally posted by Baconfish:

For some reason, these days the forums are graced by Reid - the head of the Pretentious Patrol - which is what I guess we've earned as a punishment for the community's 17 years of action and which is why it's a good thing this place will be shut down by the end of the year.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-06-06, 4:46 AM #31
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://youtu.be/azM6xSTT2I0?t=80

Reid is the blonde guy.
>>untie shoes
2015-06-06, 8:24 AM #32
2015-06-06, 8:46 AM #33
There doesn't have to be a Matt Damon.

That dude would still be a pretentious douche even if there wasn't anyone around to shut him the **** up.
>>untie shoes
2015-06-06, 8:59 AM #34
2015-06-06, 10:04 AM #35
I've been uncomfortable for a long time with this forum's habit of selecting some arbitrary least popular person still left, driving them off, and starting over. If anything's to blame for Massassi shutting down it's that.

Other than Koobie, I mean. That dude had to go.
2015-06-06, 11:25 AM #36
Yes. And I bet sharks do that as well. Look at us, the remaining few majestic creatures, wallowing in this retention pond like the alpha animals that we are.

Anyhow, what happened to that flight combat X-wing-vs-Tie-Fighter-lite game months ago? I assume it was quickly and quietly snuffed.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-06-06, 12:05 PM #37
How do these large mobile game companies stay alive, when most of mobile games in the market nowadays are pure **** and the barrier of entry so low? I'm reminded of the video game crash of 1980's in that sense. It couldn't just be microtransaction nonsense holding the boats afloat (same tech company valuation shenanigans?).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-06-06, 12:32 PM #38
2015-06-06, 12:36 PM #39
2015-06-06, 1:31 PM #40
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Anyhow, what happened to that flight combat X-wing-vs-Tie-Fighter-lite game months ago? I assume it was quickly and quietly snuffed.
Cancelled in beta so Disney could focus all of their efforts on this game, which will be cancelled in beta so Disney can focus all of their efforts on the next game, which will be cancelled in beta so that

↑ Up to the top!