Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Beloved site
Beloved site
2015-07-25, 4:04 PM #1
Came back to this forum earlier today.. Just wanted to say I was 15 in 1999 and Massassi was basically my homepage. (GA Farrant then and Magi_Cabaalis around 2000 or 2001)

Now at 30, with a 3 year old of my own, I hope he finds a community in his teens like Massassi was back in the day. Maybe something will come close, subreddits maybe have the same feel "kinda"... but I doubt it... a true community.
2015-07-25, 4:24 PM #2
Reddit is a cesspool full of the worst kinds of humanity. I wouldn't let my kid anywhere near it.

I'm not sure a community like Massassi was back then could really exist now. :|
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2015-07-26, 7:38 AM #3
Nice to see you stop by!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2015-07-26, 9:08 AM #4
Originally posted by gbk:
I'm not sure a community like Massassi was back then could really exist now. :|

I've actually thought about this a lot. It's like there was a perfect storm for online gaming communities. At the time, a game being popular to edit meant we had what seemed like an enormous number of people in the community. Now if a game is popular to edit, there's a geometrically larger number of people involved and the community is too big for any real narratives or momentum to form. Clan forums are way too bro-like, but they're close. The thing is, to have a manageable community now, you have to be related to a subpar game, and thus there's nothing to really keep anyone editing it, and it dies out.

Some minecraft mod/server forums are decent, but again, kind of niche in a way that doesn't draw enough, or draws too many people. And there's a lot of kids, which we could handle back in the day on an individual basis, but now they outnumber us and they run the minecraft culture overall.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2015-07-26, 9:20 AM #5
Eh, there are plenty of forum-centric websites still out there covering somewhat obscure topics that have the old Massassi feel. One example would be the dwarf fortress forums.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2015-07-28, 11:10 PM #6
but are they green and black?
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2015-07-29, 10:20 AM #7
no son of mine is going to grow up to be an internet poster
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2015-07-29, 10:26 AM #8
No son of mine will ever grow up, for I'm sterile.

HAA-HOW!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!