Thread: Apparently my graphics card sucks

Administrator

Apparently my graphics card sucks

My son has been telling me the games are running too slow. I told him I bought a decent card... but I didn't realize until now that it'd been 6 years since I bought it.

http://www.legitreviews.com/should-i...eo-card_157808

I have the gtx 460. Guess it's time to upgrade.

I just bought a EVGA GeForce GT 740 for a pretty good price. So far it's handled everything I care to play. The last graphics card I bought that wasn't stock or already on the computer was an Nvidia TNT 2 back in 2000. I'm not sure if you're looking for suggestions or this is one of those posts that is intended to make us feel old.

if you can stretch the budget i'd recommend at least a 970
    eat right, exercise, die anyway

Administrator
    I was thinking of getting the 960 in the review, they have some for <$200. But then I looked at my processor which is I think the first or second generation i5. The new i5s are more than twice as fast. I'm thinking about just building a new one.

With CoolMatty's help I just replaced the hard drive with a SSD. It boots faster and games load faster, but it (obviously) didn't help with framerates or anything. It certainly loads up jedi academy levels quickly, though.

It's Stuart, Martha Stuart
    The 960 seems like a good deal for the price. That second gen i5 is still kicking pretty strong. Probably won't be a huge issue with only a 960. See a discussion on that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNjT5R5XI4

I'm still rocking an i7 920 from 2009, and a GTX670 that I bought a few years back, and it's doing pretty well on the rare occasions that I actually play games. I'll probably build a new computer at the end of this year, since GPUs are finally moving to a new process node after two years and should see a pretty big jump in performance.

GTX 970 is the minimum required graphics card for both Oculus Rift and HTC-Valve's Vive VR headset, if that's something you care about.

Haha my god, who signed off on that first paragraph?

I'd second the 970 though.

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn[numbarz] View Post
    Haha my god, who signed off on that first paragraph?

What the hell.

Administrator
    Haha I think I glazed over that the first time I read the article.... geesh.

(Still) On 13 week vacation
    LAWL

I mean, I guess it's a silver lining, right?

Human Computer
    It's either the greatest or worst product review ever written.
    ? :)