Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?
Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?
2015-12-24, 2:39 AM #1
Which is the better game and why?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2015-12-24, 2:49 AM #2
I remember thinking that Jedi Oucast had a decent SP campaign & that MP was crap. The only thing that I recall about Jedi Academy is that you could spend a ridiculous amount of time customizing your character &/or lightsaber & that MP was crap. I haven't played either game since the first week they were released so maybe I'll take another look if I don't continue to find superior games during the Steam Holiday Sale (in other words, the chance is slightly better than \0). To answer your question, I think that JO is a lesser POS than JA​, but only because I seem to recall the pointless level of customization options being lower, thus resulting in less time that you have to wait for your friends to **** around with RGB settings while you're trying to get your frag on.
? :)
2015-12-24, 3:25 AM #3
JO (SP), since at that point the story (while not great even on Star Wars standards) is still on the side of "enjoayble (legacy) SW EU" instead of JA which is squarely in the (legacy) SW EU trash territory. And even then, JA's story still gets one pass for not being the Yuuzhan Vong (and everything that followed) drivel.

As for custom levels, JA takes the cake by both volume and quality (mostly because there are more good custom SP campaigns for JA than for JO, probably has everything to do with the fact that there was only a one-year gap between the games' releases and thus no one made any more SP levels for JO - which does have good ones too, though) - e.g. Dark Forces Mod, Larry McBruce's Nina series, Eike Legien's Imperial Outpost series, AKPiggott's (albeit unfinished) Enter the Dark Lord, the Dash Rendar level (Resurgence or somethign - which might have been originally for JO anyway)...

So as a game itself, JO wins. When it comes to modding, JA wins.

Not gonna comment on multiplayer, but for what it's worth - even though JK MP is filled up to brim by manchildren-vermin, their JO/JA MP player equivalents should be listed in a Disposition Matrix.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-12-24, 3:29 AM #4
Thanks for the input, Mentat. I remember trying out JO MP a few times but never got into it, plus I think that was way past its prime anyway.

I played JO SP until some level that I forgot but never finished the game. I only ever tried JA SP for a little while. I've had both games on Steam for longer than I remember, though, so now that I've seen TFA I kinda feel like being a Jedi. You know that feeling? Hell, probably wouldn't be here if you didn't.

The lightsaber was really fun in these games I thought, especially with the cheat code that enabled dismemberment upon contact (wasn't this prevented in JA? Was there any way to turn it on, like with a mod?). A vast improvement over the JK lightsaber. And I'm the kind of freak who not only played JK MP sabers nf, but played it exclusively and A LOT.
2015-12-24, 3:34 AM #5
So FGR, in terms of user-made single player campaigns for both JO and JA, what are your ultimate recommendations out of ones that were properly finished? You only mention the AKPiggott's EtDL as being unfinished, so I assume those other ones are complete?
2015-12-24, 3:47 AM #6
Dark Forces Mod for JA is also technically unfinished for levels =>7, but the 6-level demo is very good.

I'm not sure where you can get these levels these days (JK3Files went down a while ago, I think, but there's also JKHub.org - where I actually uploaded EtDL with AKPiggott's permission).

Anyhoo'

JO SP:
  • Party Crasher (also by AKPiggott)
  • Imperial Base on Hoth(???) - project folder is named ImpHothV3
  • Nemesis of Katarn

JA SP:
  • Dark Forces Mod for JA (6-level demo)
  • Dash Rendar: Resurgence
  • Nina series (Nina, Undiscovered Secrets, Nova Unit, Genesis, Privateer)
  • Imperial Outpost (Parts 1-3)
  • Eve of Redemption
  • Enter the Dark Lord (unfinished)

Honorary mention for JA MP: Battle over Coruscant (never played it as MP, but as with DFMJA, its influence is more or less EVERYWHERE in TODOA).

Odd note: I'm not sure if I actually ever finished Escape from Takron-Galtos for JO, but I do remember getting really frustrated and even bored by it so unlike any of the levels mentioned above, I can't actually recommend it straight away.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-12-25, 7:41 PM #7
I enjoyed the custom multiplayer maps for JO more than the JA ones. JO ones seemed to have more fun in them, with all of the clan maps, and the ludicrous and ludicrously sized ones in the Shroomduck pack. However, JA did have the Jurassic Park map. But JO had Forest House.

It mattered little, as few servers used custom maps, and creating servers was a pain. Also, JO multiplayer became frustrating when locked into Saber only combat which resulted in getting constantly "flip-kicked" by someone, or full weapon servers that turned into Role Playing servers.

The modding scene was great in both departments, but overall gameplay was "eh." I still play JA multiplayer once in a while. But without mods, aside from some character models.
2015-12-31, 5:40 PM #8
I remember the first time ever playing JA MP and discovering deathmatch was nothing but people standing around chatting and kicking people that actually attempted a deathmatch.

Then there was all that horse**** with bowing and "lamers".
nope.
2016-01-01, 7:30 AM #9
I used to think JA was better.
But for some reason, I now prefer JO. Maybe i just played JA too much.
More interesting saber stuff in JA but still, felt off somehow.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!