Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Life of Grismath
Life of Grismath
2016-01-11, 12:20 AM #1
In 1997, we learned that we're not alone in the galaxy; this discovery changed the course of history and thrust humanity onto the galactic stage. And what a weird galaxy it is.

After a variety of adventures, Grismath left Earth many years ago and has been roaming the galaxy. Now 68 years old, he must come to terms with his own mortality and think about his legacy.

Download

[http://www.grismath.com/log/shot0.png]

[http://www.grismath.com/log/shot1.png]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-11, 1:08 AM #2
Once I get home from work, I'll rox0r all the box0rs out of this one. I've been waiting for these level pack levels a long long time.

And it should provide some comfort for this rotten month (RIP David Bowie).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-01-11, 1:28 AM #3
:-(
2016-01-11, 5:26 AM #4
Is this the same level that I helped beta test yonks ago?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-01-11, 10:59 AM #5
Originally posted by gbk:
Is this the same level that I helped beta test yonks ago?

No, but it includes a lot of expanded and improved content from the other Life of Grismath levels on Massassi.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-11, 4:38 PM #6
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://youtu.be/oT_4RC7La6w

Now with a trailer!

Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-11, 7:43 PM #7
O_o
That might be the best thing ever produced for JK.

Originally posted by Grismath:
Now with a trailer!

Do the hustle!
2016-01-14, 5:43 AM #8
Just wonderful. Given more time, I guess every character and archi texture could have been galactopticonified for great styleness, but alas from that, it's definitely one of the greatest creations for JK.

And I'd say that even if it didn't have my favorite part of all LoG projects: You... NIMBUS!

Also, it makes you really realize how buggy JK's engine is, but eh, that's a given. Had to resort to using the devmode since my quicksave at the major forcefiels puzzle didn't work after I had shut down JK and opened it later a few hours later, since activating one of the switches afterwards crashed the game.

And for that matter, it really shows how us old JK/MotS SP-ians seem to be located on the same wavelength, as you'll see with Magrucko 3. ;)
2016-01-14, 10:41 AM #9
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Just wonderful. Given more time, I guess every character and archi texture could have been galactopticonified for great styleness, but alas from that, it's definitely one of the greatest creations for JK.

:D I was originally planning to do 100% custom art but then I got a new job that took all my time up so we had to TRIAGE

Also, it makes you really realize how buggy JK's engine is, but eh, that's a given. Had to resort to using the devmode since my quicksave at the major forcefiels puzzle didn't work after I had shut down JK and opened it later a few hours later, since activating one of the switches afterwards crashed the game.

You should have been there when firing a bullet at a wall from a specific distance away would cause the game to crash. That was a fun one to track down. :v
2016-01-14, 10:56 AM #10
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1192274']That was a fun one to track down. :v

What did it turn out to be?
2016-01-14, 3:15 PM #11
Originally, I put camera focus on the bullet itself. The "explosion" for the bullet had a class cog that restored camera focus to the player.
However, when firing point blank into a wall, there was some kind of race condition where the bullet was removed from the game before focus was restored. When the camera focuses on a null/non-existent object, the game crashes.
At first, I tried putting a timer delay on the bullet cam, such that focus would not change until some amount of time had passed after the bullet had fired; however, I soon realized that this just "moved" the problem and if I fired into a wall at just the right point, the game would still crash.
I finally solved the problem by firing two projectiles: the "lead" bullet and a "follower" camera projectile on the same trajectory. When the bullet is destroyed (prior to the follower hitting its mark) camera focus returns to the player.
The bonus I get from this solution is that you actually see the bullet in the middle of the screen and it's a lot clearer that it's a bullet cam.

Small optimizations are still possible (e.g. I don't use StopThing(player); when you fire the first bullet, so it's possible for the follower cam to have a slightly different trajectory) and there's a theoretical edge case where an enemy walks into the follower cam or a closing door hits it without the bullet impacting anything. *shrug*
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-14, 6:52 PM #12
426 MB??? How am I suppose to download this through dial-up?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-01-15, 10:05 AM #13
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
426 MB??? How am I suppose to download this through dial-up?

dang. sure am glad my mom upgraded us to DSL
2016-01-15, 10:10 AM #14
Well, to be honest, 426 mb is bigger than TODOA
2016-01-15, 10:17 AM #15
NOTHING IS BIGGER THAN TOADO
2016-01-15, 10:13 PM #16
Oh and, was the music in the adjacent penthouse in the 2006 LoG level MEMORY NOSTALGIA area a cover of a Final Fantasy VIII song ?

Whether it was or not, that place was - oddly enough - the most moving one for me.
2016-01-16, 3:23 AM #17
Originally posted by Grismath:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(

Now with a trailer!

lol
former entrepreneur
2016-01-16, 11:23 AM #18
Hold on a minute

Life of Grismath...
life of grismath...
life oF GRismath

I've actually got CALCULUS on my teeth! MEIN GOTT
2016-01-16, 7:59 PM #19
Hold on a minute

Life of Grismath...
life of grismath...
life oF GRismath

I've actually got CALCULUS on my teeth! MEIN GOTT

:O

And yes, the song was a Final Fantasy orchestral cover, I believe. It was also used in the level that you mention.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-30, 4:44 AM #20
Finished it last night - honestly one of the best things I've seen for JK - it really pushes the engine beyond its limits, and is genuinely funny too. I loved the final puzzle (unfortunately it didn't work properly after I loaded from a savegame, so had to do a bit of cog hacking to get back there, as I didn't want to miss it). Was the "I'm blue" part a nod to Planet Sith 3?

Almost makes me want to edit JK again... but then I remember how many people would actually play it...
2016-02-03, 6:39 AM #21
Originally posted by Chris Swan:
Almost makes me want to edit JK again... but then I remember how many people would actually play it...

if more than ten people play Magrucko 3 I'm happy!

But about LoG...

Incredible. Edward and Zeq and countless others have showed me small prototype levels over the years that did unique things with the jedi knight engine but never saw the light of day, so it's wonderful to see a large project like this do the same (in countless ways).

Single player levels have kinda (with a few exceptions) been all the same for jedi knight. 'find the key' 'do a jump puzzle' 'trick the suit scanner' etc... but in LoG every puzzle is unique and clever. If you were even just a casual fan of Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 back in the day then I highly recommend you reinstall it to marvel at this episode because this is the engine pushed to it's limits and it's brilliant.

This jumps straight into the 'top five' of JK/MOTS single player levels - it deserves to be mentioned in the same breathe as ToaM2, Leeza Haynes, TODOA and Imperial Siege.

Also, I thought the same about the Planet Sith 3 nod. if it was one.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2016-02-03, 9:38 AM #22
Finally a JK Total Conversion is completed!
former entrepreneur
2016-02-03, 5:39 PM #23
Originally posted by Eversor:
Finally a JK Total Conversion is completed!

It's the beginning of the end. Soon the snow will begin to fall. It's the end of the world.
2016-02-04, 12:48 AM #24
Ahem.
2016-02-04, 6:13 AM #25
What, FGR?
2016-02-04, 8:37 AM #26
What?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-02-04, 9:57 AM #27
What are you getting at? I can't figure it out.
2016-02-04, 4:38 PM #28
Oh hey, JK mods. Yah, I might try to play one again.

↑ Up to the top!