Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Death
Death
2016-01-14, 2:48 PM #1
It turns out gbk is swamped with work and has allowed me to be the one to take over this web site. If anyone wants to help and has some basic web knowledge it might make the transition go faster. My plan is to transition the site to a new server, close any gaping security holes, and then have CM close the old site while DNS is transferring.

In the longer term I plan to fix up some features that are broken but might be useful (levels search maybe, news script, whatever). Longer term I may regenerate a lot of the pages to get rid of the frameset (but will maintain the look/functionality). The ultimate plan is to make the main site more of an archive (like TACC), but one on which all the features actually work (or get deleted). I'll continue to maintain the forums and keep up with software updates as long as people are using them. If they get completely dead I'll figure out a way to put them into archive mode as well.
2016-01-14, 3:10 PM #2
The circle is complete!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-01-14, 4:55 PM #3
Haha, alright. Long live Massassi.
2016-01-14, 6:13 PM #4
Well now I just feel silly sending that mass e-mail out earlier...
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2016-01-14, 6:17 PM #5
Death? Life!

Let's get an Asheron's Call server going while we're at it.
former entrepreneur
2016-01-14, 8:20 PM #6
This is fantastic news, welcome back Brian! Love that Massassi's fate is back in your hands.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2016-01-14, 8:47 PM #7
Originally posted by Eversor:
Death? Life!

Let's get an Asheron's Call server going while we're at it.
Real talk.

All of the items, NPCs, quests, spells, and everything else all exist exclusively on the server side. GUI graphics and 3D models are downloaded to the client (portal.dat) but the world data, fixed objects and terrain are streamed to the client on demand and cached locally (cell.dat). Nobody outside of Turbine/WB has a complete cell.dat newer than Throne of Destiny. Effectively this means you can't make an actual Asheron's Call server emulator, all you'd be getting is the Asheron's Call client and that's a white elephant. I'd argue that it would be easier to make your own MMO from scratch. A few years ago some AC devs publicly discussed an open source release of the game and assets, but considering that was a few years ago it probably means it's not going to happen. And even if it did, it would take a heroic effort to roll the world back to 1999 when it was halfway interesting to explore.

But yeah we should totally do it. I'll set up the wiki!
2016-01-14, 8:59 PM #8
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Well now I just feel silly sending that mass e-mail out earlier...

I got the email, that's why I came back -- to see if I could help.
2016-01-14, 10:33 PM #9
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/bandwidth/s00.jpg] <(Then what was the point of sanding my face off!?)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-01-15, 12:46 AM #10
Cool beans.
? :)
2016-01-15, 5:15 AM #11
Brain if you need to Web front/back end help give me a shout at millypede [at] me.com
Flying over there some were...
2016-01-15, 5:34 AM #12
Nice! If you need any help drop me an email: tom [at] r.je
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2016-01-15, 6:03 AM #13
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Then what was the point of sanding my face off!?

http://whatkindofahospitalwasthat.ytmnd.com/
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-01-15, 7:37 AM #14
MASSASSI IS DEAD

LONG LIVE MASSASSI
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2016-01-15, 7:44 AM #15
seems like a good time to start a star wars blog and put some ads on the site and wait for that sweet sweet nerd money to roll in
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2016-01-15, 8:04 AM #16
nerd cred is the only currency we deal in around here :cool:
2016-01-15, 9:00 AM #17
Originally posted by mb:
seems like a good time to start a star wars blog and put some ads on the site and wait for that sweet sweet nerd money to roll in

I work in ad tech and would prefer not to have any of that on this site. Bleck.
2016-01-15, 11:52 AM #18
woot the email was a lie!

now I'll run away again for 4 years...

(and damn I need to update my sig)
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2016-01-15, 1:54 PM #19
Woohoo. Welcome back, Brian.
2016-01-15, 2:27 PM #20
Originally posted by Brian:
I work in ad tech.

Sorry for your loss
2016-01-15, 3:33 PM #21
Originally posted by Jon`C:
But yeah we should totally do it. I'll set up the wiki!

Great! Finally I'll get that prepatch Hoary Mattekar Robe that I could never get on Solclaim, and I'll be spiritually fulfilled.
former entrepreneur
2016-01-16, 2:28 PM #22
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Sorry for your loss

I worked for a small web security startup that was acquired by a big(ger) ad tech company. I still work in security and not directly on any of the ad tech itself. They treat me very well so it's difficult to leave. I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment, though.
2016-01-16, 8:55 PM #23
So we're not having the big crazy naked countdown to doomsday orgy where we tear everything down with bloodied knuckles, rosy cheeks and absolutely no eye contact? But I made lil smokies with cheesewraps.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2016-01-17, 7:12 AM #24
Man I'd make some serious eye contact with some lil smokies right now if you know what I mean.
2016-01-17, 9:51 AM #25
SO ****ING HYPED.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2016-01-18, 4:44 AM #26
woohoo sounds great
2016-01-19, 7:19 AM #27
Originally posted by poley:
woot the email was a lie!

now I'll run away again for 4 years...

(and damn I need to update my sig)

That's weird, I was just randomly thinking about Rbots this morning for some reason.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2016-01-21, 10:33 AM #28
Not to meme game of thrones, but this board truly follows: What is dead may never die.

↑ Up to the top!