Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Changes, for better or for worse
Changes, for better or for worse
2016-01-22, 10:28 PM #1
As I'm going through cleaning up gaping security holes it is becoming clear that there are some portions of the site that I have no interest in maintaining or fixing. I plan to completely remove the following areas as I bring the site over to my server. If you have any objections, voice them now (but you'll have to have a very convincing argument to cause me to change my mind).

Editor's Corner - this has been broken for a long time and people can still use JK Hub if they want to post screenshots.

Reviews - This has been commented out for a while but still shows up in google searches. I don't like the reviews I wrote because I was too harsh on people who were perhaps submitting their first maps. I feel bad for crapping on kids' hard work because they weren't my ideal map. In hindsight, I should have encouraged everyone to get better instead of being so negative. I don't think there's anything in the reviews section that isn't also in the levels section (other than some screenshots and commentary). Nuking it.
2016-01-22, 10:42 PM #2
Also, does anyone use the online chat room page? The one with the embedded java applet? I can't tell if it even still works since I have no java. If there are no objections I'm going to remove that, too.
2016-01-22, 10:48 PM #3
I'd scrap the ability to leave level comments while you're at it. That whole thing is a disaster of code the last time I looked at it, and requires a whole different auth system.
2016-01-22, 10:54 PM #4
Yeah it sucks having two different sets of accounts. I had a plan at some point to integrate into the vbulletin db for users but I never got around to it (and probably glad I didn't). I don't want to get rid of the existing comments but I will probably leave off the ability to leave new ones (at least for now). I mostly fixed the auth on the administration section already. These scripts bring back memories, geesh. It's like a nostalgia train.
2016-01-23, 6:15 AM #5
I'm pretty sure people still use the java IRC applet.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-01-23, 1:38 PM #6
... Seriously? ...
2016-01-23, 1:59 PM #7
Seems it would be easy to find out.
2016-01-23, 3:39 PM #8
I have to update Java.
2016-01-26, 7:02 AM #9
since everything is in a migratory phase, maybe it makes sense to try to migrate woggle.org to my own server as well
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2016-01-26, 11:54 AM #10
There are notes all over woggle.org about being hacked. Is that custom code or something you downloaded? I have been going through massassi code line by line and eliminating security issues (hopefully I've been thorough enough). If you have only static content I could put you on the new massassi server.
2016-01-27, 11:27 AM #11
Would it be possible to archive those sections in some manner? Brian, don't be too hard on yourself about the reviews. You once criticized the reviewer (Ki-Adi-Mundi, I think) of one of my levels (Gothic Deathmatch) being too easy on me & while it slightly stung at the time, you were pretty much spot-on. Even I was surprised to get such a good review for such a mediocre looking map that was entirely focused on gameplay & not at all on aesthetics. Personally, I think that lighting should've been given much more importance.
? :)
2016-01-27, 2:05 PM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
There are notes all over woggle.org about being hacked. Is that custom code or something you downloaded? I have been going through massassi code line by line and eliminating security issues (hopefully I've been thorough enough). If you have only static content I could put you on the new massassi server.

I moved it to my server.

Some dude really wanted to hack massassi and thought that since woggle was on the same server they could use my site as a vector... which was stupid. they did however manage to corrupt a bunch of bnews stuff. there must be a security vulnerability in it. i wrote it a long time ago and i dont really feel like finding the problems.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2016-01-27, 2:25 PM #13
Some dude, you say?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-01-27, 6:09 PM #14
Originally posted by Brian:
Also, does anyone use the online chat room page? The one with the embedded java applet? I can't tell if it even still works since I have no java. If there are no objections I'm going to remove that, too.

Literally posted today:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/oracle-deprecates-the-java-browser-plugin-prepares-for-its-demise/

AKA, kill it with fire.
2016-01-27, 9:02 PM #15
Mentat: I can archive the reviews. I just don't like them. Hrm. I'll do it, fine, but I'll put an apology on all of mine ;)

bradsh: That sucks; if you want some pointers, I can help, but sometimes it's not worth it... *shrug* Are you going to put chat stats and whatnot back up there? What am I missing? I couldn't find many pages with actual content on them.

CM: I agree re: java, it's a POS. I will just put clear information on how to connect via IRC and get rid of java. I really hate it and it's responsible for a significant portion of the exploits we detect at work and keeping up with the latest versions doesn't seem to help much. There's gotta be a javascript-based client somewhere, eh?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm like 90% of the way there for the main site but I got stalled the past couple of days because of work and a sick kid.

↑ Up to the top!