Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Humble Bundle II
Star Wars Humble Bundle II
2016-03-02, 3:05 PM #1
Need some cheap old star wars games?

https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars
2016-03-02, 3:58 PM #2
this masterpiece isn't on there! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rebel_Assault
former entrepreneur
2016-03-02, 7:18 PM #3
Just so happens to be the set of Star Wars games I don't already have on Steam! Hey, thanks, Brian.
2016-03-02, 10:39 PM #4
Anyone have the low-down on whether or not any of these games will run on a modern OS (e.g. Windows 10)? I don't want to get JKDF2'd again.
? :)
2016-03-03, 5:38 AM #5
Originally posted by Eversor:

That was one of the first Star Wars games I had, I got it along with TIE Fighter. It sucked by I remember the Hoth level being quite fun.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2016-03-03, 6:51 AM #6
Originally posted by Ni:
That was one of the first Star Wars games I had, I got it along with TIE Fighter. It sucked by I remember the Hoth level being quite fun.

I used to play Rebel Assault on a 3DO that I rented from Blockbuster. The sequel was much better.
former entrepreneur
2016-03-03, 9:04 AM #7
Originally posted by Mentat:
Anyone have the low-down on whether or not any of these games will run on a modern OS (e.g. Windows 10)? I don't want to get JKDF2'd again.

I only have windows 7 at this point but JK runs fine for me (menus are windowed, cutscenes are windowed, but the game itself runs fine full screen). I bought the bundle but haven't tried any of the games yet. Will give it a go this afternoon and post back.
2016-03-03, 10:56 AM #8
It's semi-functional for me on Windows 10 but the screen goes black if the HUD or scoreboard are open. I'm guessing that the problem has something with the way in which the game does overlays or something. That's not a deal breaker but it's pretty annoying because I primarily play MP. I have it installed on an old notebook via Windows XP or 7 (can't remember) but it's such a drag to whip out another computer just to run that one game, so I rarely ever bother doing so. First World Problems.

I went ahead & grabbed the lower-end part of the pack because I'm primarily interested in X-Wing Alliance. I noticed a 3rd party upgrade to the game that may make it tolerable to look at.
2016-03-03, 11:02 AM #9
JK hasn't worked for me in a long time. It's a big part of why I'm working on Gorc.
2016-03-03, 1:44 PM #10
Hmm, the only games I don't have are X-Wing and TIE Fighter as Special Editions. But they might actually be worth it.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-03-05, 12:32 AM #11
Originally posted by Mentat:
It's semi-functional for me on Windows 10 but the screen goes black if the HUD or scoreboard are open. I'm guessing that the problem has something with the way in which the game does overlays or something. That's not a deal breaker but it's pretty annoying because I primarily play MP. I have it installed on an old notebook via Windows XP or 7 (can't remember) but it's such a drag to whip out another computer just to run that one game, so I rarely ever bother doing so. First World Problems.

The main benefit of Xzero's patch is the 32-bit mode (most "JK blacks out" issues seem to disappear when you change to a 32-bit resolution), which thus far has a far better success rate on NVIDIA than AMD cards. No idea if the ReTard patches are still only 8/16-bit.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-03-05, 7:27 AM #12
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
The main benefit of Xzero's patch is the 32-bit mode (most "JK blacks out" issues seem to disappear when you change to a 32-bit resolution), which thus far has a far better success rate on NVIDIA than AMD cards. No idea if the ReTard patches are still only 8/16-bit.

Is that included in the JK13 update? If so, I'm already running it, on an Nvidia GeForce GT 650M. :-/
2016-03-05, 7:38 AM #13
Yeah, Xzero's EXE is the JK13/TODOA TC update. So technically it's my patch by Xzero. CONFUSING, LOL. (Not really, I didn't do anything except make the patcher EXE and zip it all up (first for TODOA TC))

Kroko has an AMD card, he can't get JK to work with the JK13 patch. Flirbnic has an AMD card, he got it to work quite fine. I have an NVIDIA card, JK13 works fine. You have an NVIDIA card and it doesn't!

Maybe it's an OS related issue, I don't know. JK worked more or less fine on my Win 7 computer, barely at all on Win 8.1 and in a permanent windowed-full-screen on my Win 10. Hmph.

Very shortly put: JK is still a b***h to possibly get working on a modern computer.
2016-03-05, 7:41 AM #14
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Very shortly put: JK is still a b***h to possibly get working on a modern computer.

Still? Dude, it's going to get progressively worse over time.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-03-05, 8:19 AM #15
Originally posted by gbk:
Still? Dude, it's going to get progressively worse over time.

I couldn't get 3d acceleration to work under Windows 8/8.1 on this system, despite which patch or lack thereof, or which compatibility mode I used, but it suddenly began permitting me to once I upgraded to Windows 10. If I recall correctly, it happened after I disabled display scaling on high DPI settings, so if that wasn't just a coincidence, I probably could've used the same method on 8/8.1.
2016-03-05, 8:25 AM #16
Despite owning virtually all of the classic Star Wars games I'm at the point where I just bought the GOG version of JK so I could try out TODOA on Win 7 64bit. I think I had to copy the .exe file from the CD but that was about it. I've actually begun buying other games I already own simply for the convenience of not having to do anything to get it to work. Hell, they were giving away AvP Gold sometime back which Windows XP rendered unplayable for me (not sure about W7). It's just really cool to have these old games just work. They do acknowledge that due to the nature of Windows 10 compatibility cannot always be guaranteed. Another reason to keep another OS running for me.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-03-05, 11:55 AM #17
Huh, I have all of these except for the Xwing/TIE games. Might be worth it.
2016-03-06, 9:18 AM #18
Alright, after trying to help Kroko get JK up and running properly so that he could play Magrucko 3 (and to a lesser degree, TODOA 2-), I had to go through various hoops and herpes to figure out some insight into how.

Simply put: dgvoodoo is more or less the best way to get JK (and MotS working) on modern computers.

It does have some reservations, though.

1) As opposed to my previous expectations, it actually is compatible with my JK13 Patch. But only in 16-bit mode. The 32-bit mode enabled by JK13 does not work with dgvoodoo at all.

2) The screen appears to be quite bright with the dgvoodoo wrapper and messing with the dgvoodoosetup.exe settings doesn't really help much. However, screenshots are properly colored.

3) The 32-bit mode of JK13 does seem to eliminate some lag issues.

Here's an area (unreachable unless you cheat) from TODOA TC Multiplayer that gave me 3fps on my WinXP machine way back in 2009:

[ UTILIZING DGVOODOO + JK13 ]

[Unable to find specified attachment]

Here's the same area with JK13 only:

[Unable to find specified attachment]

In other words, in areas that really rely on not having adjoin limits, dgvoodoo seems to have some lag into it (not necessarily as substantial as in this case, but it's interesting to note the fps difference between those two scenarios in the most lag-inducing area in TODOA TC MP).

3) On my JK13 setup (NVIDIA card, Windows 10), "fullscreen" JK has blatantly visible window borders in it, so it's more like a windowed JK zoomed in to a full screen.

With dgvoodoo + JK13, the fullscreen is ACTUALLY full screen.

4) Related to this issue, on JK13 alone, the uppermost line of JK's command console tends to be obscured by the window border which is somewhat unhelpful especially with classic era SP levels with the beeping dialogues and the lines appearing in the command console.

With dgvoodoo + JK13, this issue doesn't appear.

5) JK13 alone is unable to run at my monitor's native resolution (2560x1440), so I have to use 2048x1152 when playing JK.

With dgvoodoo + JK13, I can use 2560x1440 just fine.

6) I may be forgetting some of my observations, but perhaps I'll make separate not of them if they come to mind again.

ONCE AGAIN, SHORTLY PUT: Go with dgvoodoo (but don't get a ReT patch).

Unless you want to play TODOA TC or TODOA 2- which require JK13, you're likely not really missing out on anything if you use use dgvoodoo alone (instead of dgvoodoo + JK13).

Now, I once did brush dgvoodoo off because I wasn't clear of its origins, but it really has a pretty good success rate (thus far) aside from a few tiny errs. And it finally lets me play MotS on my current rig again. Woo!
2016-03-06, 6:58 PM #19
Did anyone try running it inside vmware, parallels, or virtualbox?
2016-03-06, 9:44 PM #20
Originally posted by Brian:
Did anyone try running it inside vmware, parallels, or virtualbox?

I tried it a few years ago in VBox to no avail (3d acceleration didn't work) but haven't tried again since then.
2016-03-07, 1:55 AM #21
Now I wonder if it would work with wine via cygwin...
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-03-07, 9:35 AM #22
I'll give it a try; I have vmware fusion on a mac and I think I have a windows xp vm somewhere.
2016-03-07, 9:36 AM #23
Shoot; just realized the mac doesn't have a cd drive.
2016-03-11, 9:16 AM #24
Maybe it's worth getting a cheapo laptop just to run some old games. I wonder if something like this will run windows XP: http://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-14-1-intel-core-i5-laptop-38?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_wobtn
2016-03-12, 3:50 PM #25
I still have my first real PC, a Windows 95 machine I purchased back in 1996. I turned it on sometime in the past couple years and it still worked. BIOS battery is dead and I couldn't set the date in the BIOS past 1999. I shut it back down quickly so as not to risk bringing the grid down.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-03-12, 5:04 PM #26
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I shut it back down quickly so as not to risk bringing the grid down.

It's too late, you already caused irreparable damage to the grid. They'll be forwarding you a bill for the damages soon.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-03-13, 10:48 PM #27
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I still have my first real PC, a Windows 95 machine I purchased back in 1996. I turned it on sometime in the past couple years and it still worked. BIOS battery is dead and I couldn't set the date in the BIOS past 1999. I shut it back down quickly so as not to risk bringing the grid down.

I'm envious. You get to live through Y2K all over again. Store plenty of water, canned foods, & homemade candles made from empty tuna cans.

↑ Up to the top!