Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anybody still play games?
Anybody still play games?
2016-03-22, 1:35 PM #1
If so, what games? Any recommendations?
2016-03-22, 1:54 PM #2
I really don't play games these days. No idea if it's because I've failed at most of my post-DXN projects, or that I can't really look at games the same way due to having spent so much time editing DXN, or what... but, eh.

Ever since 2010 at least, I've played through at least one game per year and last year I actually played through two.

So I guess I'd recommend the latest game I've played through, a puzzleish one named DeadCore. Albeit I'd wait until it's like 5 bux or so.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-03-22, 2:13 PM #3
Don't really play but I've been mapping for CS:GO, for side project.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-03-22, 2:27 PM #4
Yes, both video and otherwise, which I can certainly spew out the list if you really like. Are you looking for particular recommendations, or just a "hey I'm playing this, you should too?" If so, what sort of stuff are you looking for? How much time do you have? Single or multiplayer? Video game or otherwise? Genres you enjoy/don't enjoy?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2016-03-22, 4:39 PM #5
The new Battlefront, Kerbal Space Program, I've been going through Sniper Elite II on highest difficulty (recently got SE III, not installed yet), gearing out a Borderlands 2 character getting ready for OP levels, working on 100% in GTA V, and then other misc games like SUPERHOT, Rocket League, Sins of a Solar Empire and occasionally Terraria. I updated War Thunder recently, thinking about giving that a go again.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2016-03-22, 5:28 PM #6
When I have time, I'm still working my way through the Assassin's Creed series.
2016-03-22, 5:28 PM #7
I've been playing this "Counter-Strike: Source" recently. They've got this map in there, Dusk? Dusp? I think it's in the desert or something. Buying your weapons every round is kind of dumb, but I think it's in beta or something. I'm sure they'll take that out before it's released.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-03-23, 12:38 AM #8
I do, I actually started playing Hitman Blood Money again yesterday. The last time I played almost through it was a long time ago, but back then I played every level by running and gunning. Now that I'm actually thinking out my approach in each level and trying to remain unnoticed, leaving as few bodies as possible, I can see why this is the preferred way to play these games. The game allows you to get quite creative so it's a lot of fun.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-03-23, 12:45 AM #9
i don't play nearly as much as i used to... recently i've been playing a bit of black ops 3... first call of duty game i bought since world at war and first i bought on PC since... 2
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2016-03-23, 2:38 AM #10
I still play games. Any particular categories you're interested in? I play many types of games & would be happy to make recommendations. There's a Massassi Temple Steam Group, if you're not already a member.
? :)
2016-03-23, 2:45 AM #11
Originally posted by gbk:
I've been playing this "Counter-Strike: Source" recently. They've got this map in there, Dusk? Dusp? I think it's in the desert or something. Buying your weapons every round is kind of dumb, but I think it's in beta or something. I'm sure they'll take that out before it's released.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

[Unable to find specified attachment]
2016-03-23, 9:07 AM #12
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Kerbal Space Program

Love me some KSP.

Most recently I've been playing Stardew Valley. Very charming and relaxing little game.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2016-03-23, 12:49 PM #13
I was just curious since nobody seems to be playing JK. My son is into rocket league. Can't stand it. Seems like there was a jk mod like that 15 years ago. I played through about half of the Gears of War remaster and still intend to finish it. We tried all of the Rare replay games and didn't find any of them entertaining for more than a few minutes. I'm looking forward to the new Doom though.
2016-03-23, 1:24 PM #14
Well I'm half-tempted to see about running the JK level I'm presumably provided a voice for, and if I were so inspired, I'd probably play a MP game with someone(s) I know. Haven't really done so since I was back using Windows XP, so there's that.

As for games I've played lately:

Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
I love the heck out of this, and I actually considered making a thread to see who else has the game for swapping levels. If anyone wants to check out my levels, I'm particularly proud of my SMB3 set of 4 levels (the titles start with Ocean Side, Big Island, The Sky, and Iced Land)
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Gebohq?type=posted

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
If you liked the DKC games of the SNES era, you'll like this. I find it better than DKC Returns for the Wii, in large part because it has Pro controller support.

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS)
A sequel to the Four Swords games past, I didn't care much for this game. The Link Between Worlds engine hinders parts of the game that require you to have a good understanding of what height you're standing at, and some fights were more annoying than fun. I felt Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube did the Four Swords series the best, and this seemed a step backwards.

Undertale (Steam)
If you enjoy games like Earthbound and games where you can play as a pacifist, I'd recommend this game. I'm not one of those people who say BEST GAEM EVAR and I do say it's an entertaining one. The beginning (what I consider the tutorial part of the game) is slow but it picks up by the first boss fight.

Guild of Dungeoneering (Steam)
A bit of a rogue-like where you are in charge of a guild, and you recruit/send out adventurers to get money to expand your guild. It's an interesting premise in that they have 'cards' to explore dungeons and use attacks, but I found it got rather repetitive fairly quickly.

Tembo The Badass Elephant (Steam)
A solid platformer. You play as Tembo, who uses his weight and trunk to plow through bad guys and douse fires in the way. Silly, fun, straightforward.

It seemed that non-video games weren't your interest, and if they are, let me know and I'll include some of those as well.
2016-03-23, 1:58 PM #15
We enjoyed super mario maker for a couple of days. It got really really old sitting around waiting for new props or whatever they're called. It's been collecting dust since a week after we bought it :( I don't quite know why they did that.
2016-03-23, 2:11 PM #16
Speaking of games, Wolfenstein 3D editing thrives as opposed to JK which is dead.

Even creepier, I'm quite sure that a lot of those editors weren't even born when Wolf3D was released.

... I'd even go as far as saying that a lot of them probably weren't even born when Jedi Outcast was released! ACH, MEIN LEBEN
2016-03-23, 7:00 PM #17
Originally posted by Brian:
We enjoyed super mario maker for a couple of days. It got really really old sitting around waiting for new props or whatever they're called. It's been collecting dust since a week after we bought it :( I don't quite know why they did that.

I know why, and I don't agree with it, or at least how they implemented it -- they're expecting that having them all at once would be overwhelming. I just advanced the system clock after 5 minutes of dicking around each time. Still tedious, but you get everything after a couple hours instead of a week.
2016-03-23, 8:51 PM #18
Because they missed the Kaizo Mario bandwagon by 8 years and needed to offer some reason to play it more than once.
2016-03-24, 1:21 AM #19
Here's a few recommendations. I may post more if I get the time.

• 140: I don't typically like rhythm games, but this one is really well done. It's basically a platformer in the Thomas Was Alone style where the environment changes based upon the music. It's challenging but not nearly as masochistic as something like Super Meat Boy.
  • Faster Than Light: This is easily one of my favorite games of all time. It's a spaceship simulator where you manage a ship & its crew as they battle their way through different solar systems while being pursued by the rebel fleet.
  • Grow Home: You're a robot that has to collect the materials necessary to grow a beanstalk that can get you back to your ship that's hovering just above the planet, while also studying the things that make it up. I loved every moment of this game.
  • Mark of the Ninja: This is one of the best ninja games that I've played. It's sort of a modern rendition of Ninja Gaiden but with much more re-playability (even more so with the Special Edition). The achievements are challenging without being masochistic, for instance.
  • Papa & Yo: An interesting but sad story with a beautiful atmosphere & many enjoyable puzzles. I found the whole experience to be quite memorable. My daughter had a blast watching me play this one & soon she'll be playing it alone.
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: This is a beautiful game (made more so by the Redux version that now comes free with your purchase) with an interesting detective story. Definitely play it alone & in the dark with your headset on.
  • SkyDrift: It's sort of like Mario Kart meets Wipeout with airplanes. It's a blast to play online. There's a deathmatch DLC that looks promising but I haven't had time to play it yet.
  • The Talos Principle: A beautiful first-person game with tons of fantastic puzzles & an interesting story that delves into the philosophy of artificial-intelligence & technology. If you like games like Portal, this'll be right up your alley.
2016-03-24, 6:27 AM #20
I was just curious since nobody seems to be playing JK. My son is into rocket league. Can't stand it. Seems like there was a jk mod like that 15 years ago. I played through about half of the Gears of War remaster and still intend to finish it. We tried all of the Rare replay games and didn't find any of them entertaining for more than a few minutes. I'm looking forward to the new Doom though.

Haha, my friend and I said the same thing. There was a mod for JK called "Jedi Ball" that had multiple stadium themed levels with a ball in the center that could be moved via force destruction or explosion weapons into the opponent's goal.

Rocket League is very reminiscent of that mod for sure!
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2016-03-24, 6:51 AM #21
I've recently been playing through StarCraft: Mass Recall, which is a remake of the original Starcraft in the Starcraft 2 engine, it's incredibly well made and retains all the original intro videos and dialogue :)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2016-03-24, 6:57 PM #22
StarCraft 2 has been kind of confusing to me. Mostly because I haven't been a PC gamer for a long time. That was being released in three parts I believe. Are they all out yet? I never jumped into it because usually I pick up Blizzard games when they're released with all the expansions. I don't even know if that's going to be an option with SC2.

As far as gaming in general it just seems that as I've aged, "life" just seems to happen more. There is always something else I should be doing. Right now I have an issue with my truck that I will need to fix soon. Unfortunately, it's not just like brakes where I can get the parts and throw 'em on when I have time. I have to do some diagnostics to find exactly the component that needs replacement. Beyond stuff like that there is just always something more important than gaming.

In addition, I'm a much more casual gamer than I used to be. Games don't seem to hold my interest for long anymore. And when I do play I'm more inclined to want to use a gamepad whether on the console or PC.

Having said that, I am actually trying to do a bit more gaming. I've got a good sized GOG library at this point and I've picked up a few PS4 games. Last of Us Remastered I found in the PS store for a good price the other day and I pulled the trigger on Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition the other day.

I do want to build a PC for modern gaming but I have one more bill to pay off before I can justify the expense. Star Citizen/Squadron 42, StarCraft2, I have Two Brothers on Steam but can't play it due to lack of horsepower. Might look to build a new rig before the end of the year.

On mobile I LOVE Plasma Sky. I managed to pick it up as an Amazon Free App of the Day years ago and I still go back to that game usually several times a day. Think Galaga or Raiden with really colorful Geometry Wars style graphics. Perfect fun.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-03-25, 7:34 PM #23
Tried to play Bioshock 1 recently as I saw some discussion about it elsewhere on the internet and just couldn't get into it, so I'm just waiting to uninstall it when I need the space.

I still boot up Doom and play it when I get bored/on break from school. I have a playthrough of Plutonia in PrBoom+ with no mouselook and pistolstarting I've been doing on/off since last summer, to say I've finally beaten it on UV. Tried to get into mapping for Doom a couple of times and couldn't; now I'm kicking around a couple of ideas for a gameplay mod that I just need to find the time to sit down and learn Zdoom's scripting in order to work on it.

E- saw Wookie mention mobile. I've been playing Clash Royale with a friend or two from home in a random clan. It's easy to walk away from for days at a time if need be (unlike Clash of Clans) and quick to play when I want to play it.

I have more pressing things to spend my time on though. Research/working out/being an adult sort of take precedence over video games until 3 AM anymore.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-03-25, 7:44 PM #24
I played through a bit of Bioshock 1 but I got stuck at some point where there was fire or something in the way and never figured it out. I wasn't into it enough even to open a spoiler site and read about it :(

I watched a trailer for the new Homefront: Revolution. I really liked the first one (unlike apparently the rest of the universe) but the new one looks more like an open world type game which (other than mmorpgs) I have never been able to get into.
2016-03-25, 7:45 PM #25
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Tried to play Bioshock 1 recently as I saw some discussion about it elsewhere on the internet and just couldn't get into it, so I'm just waiting to uninstall it when I need the space.

You should try Bioshock: Infinite. It's fantastic.
2016-03-25, 7:57 PM #26
Is it worth playing without having finished the previous installments?
2016-03-26, 6:14 AM #27
Is it worth playing without having finished the previous installments?

Sure. I never played the original installments.
2016-03-26, 11:41 AM #28
I've been playing and modding the hell out of Fallout 4.

I find it baffling that people can view this as anything but an excellent videogame.
>>untie shoes
2016-03-26, 1:43 PM #29

Does the hitbox still lag behind the walkplayer? Compared to version 1.5, CS:S was problematic for me in that regard. In fact, that's what kind of what killed online gaming for me (with the exception of games which are specifically optimized for online play, such as Jedi Knight).
2016-03-26, 1:57 PM #30
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
In fact, that's what kind of what killed online gaming for me (with the exception of games which are specifically optimized for online play, such as Jedi Knight).

Oh, so the spawnrapists aren't an issue?
Also, If I recall, the netcode in JK is hilariously bad.
2016-03-26, 4:19 PM #31
Heh, yes, I know it was bad--just making a dumb joke.
2016-03-30, 9:43 PM #32
I occasionally get together with my brothers and play Left for Dead. We've worked through LFD 1 and 2 multiplayer coop over a period of time. It's pretty fun, not very serious and is a lot of mindless killing but plays well coop.
2016-03-30, 11:51 PM #33
Also, If I recall, the netcode in JK is hilariously bad.

...or good, depending upon one's circumstances &/or perspective. If you were an HPB, which was quite common in the late 90's, JK's net code was a godsend. You were on an even playing field (latency-wise) with LPB's. However, it certainly leaves much to be desired in 2016. I've been playing JK online recently with someone from rural KY that doesn't have broadband & it's one of the few FPS games that we can play on equal footing.
2016-04-22, 11:59 AM #34
I got my new computer a couple weeks ago, and had to wait a week to buy the video card, so I've just been replaying Mass Effect 2.

Now that my video card is here, I'm still playing Mass Effect 2, but it's a lot prettier. I've also been playing The Division a little bit, since it came free with the card. It's... alright.

I plan on getting Fallout 4 soon, though.
2016-04-22, 12:13 PM #35
I'll vouch for Mass Effect 2. Might wanna skip the third one, though.
2016-04-22, 1:06 PM #36
But the third one is the best!
2016-04-22, 1:07 PM #37
.V.
2016-05-12, 7:46 PM #38
Originally posted by Antony:
I've been playing and modding the hell out of Fallout 4. I find it baffling that people can view this as anything but an excellent videogame.
Word.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2016-05-13, 2:11 AM #39
  • Call of Juarez Gunslinger - A Wild West single-player first-person shooter with an entertaining story, beautiful scenery, & quick-draw duels.
  • Kami - An addictive, challenging, & relaxing puzzle game with hand-crafted tile art. Oddly, there's no music during the levels. I'd recommend Carbon Based Lifeforms.
  • Mini Metro - A minimalistic metro/subway strategy game that's both addictive & relaxing. Once you complete the game, there's a daily challenge mode that gives it replay value.
2016-05-13, 12:26 PM #40
My son got Uncharted 4. It's like Uncharted 3. And 2. And 1 I suppose.

↑ Up to the top!