Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → ShenaniGans
ShenaniGans
2016-03-26, 7:00 AM #1
Imagine if you combined the talents of Xzero and Ruthven.

[Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment]

Would be pretty cool, I'd reckon.

So yeah, I just spent some time combining weapons and the HUD from the SG1 mod with Xzero's fantastic archi.

There are plenty of issues with the SG1 mod (whether related to COGs or templates or whatnot) but a lot of it can be jotted down to JK sucking arse.

But man, did those two gentlemen bring the best out of JK.

In theory, if you want to keep things very simple, you could separate the SG1 HUD into its own mod that would work more or less perfectly. And since new actually cool weapon mechanics make JK sweat and burn (as the SG1 files prove, sadly enough), you could just replace the standard JK weapons with the models (and sounds) from Ruthy's mod and get new snazzy looking (and sounding) weapons. It'd be more or less a TODOA-style makeover, but you could already get the ball rollin' for a new cool mod that way (whether it's Stargate related or not).

But who'd do such a thing?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-03-26, 7:10 AM #2
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
But who'd do such a thing?

Someone without a job.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-03-26, 10:48 AM #3
Honestly - goddamn JK. If there are templates in master.tpl I EXPECT THEM TO BE INCLUDED IN THE .JKL AS WELL BUT NOOOO

Had to add some of them into the JKL with effin' Notepad. Oh well, here are the results:

[Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment][Unable to find specified attachment]

Also, damn Ruthven texturing his models so that you have to change the Min Texture Size to 512 in JK's options.

.V.
2016-03-26, 2:03 PM #4
[Unable to find specified attachment]

Holy...

Wow. That lighting just made me sprout a third leg.
Also: does the readout on the top of that weapon change as you fire?
2016-03-26, 2:06 PM #5
It does. But it seems to be an unreliable number (I think I've gone to 0 with it and it still kept firing) since with the new guns, the normal ammo counter mostly stops working.

Also, I put two gameplay videos of the Ruthven levels here:

https://vimeo.com/160465646
and https://vimeo.com/160465647

(More or less from the parts with the most coherent scripting/gameplay in the project)
2016-03-26, 4:39 PM #6
Also, I put two gameplay videos of the Ruthven levels here:

I... I'm speechless. JK has never looked so sexy.

You hear me, Nikumubeki? NEVER.
2016-03-27, 6:56 AM #7
/me nods sagely

Here be a third one

https://vimeo.com/160516289
2016-03-27, 8:48 AM #8
What was in the dump? I don't think I was checking the forums when the resources were available.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-03-27, 9:18 AM #9
wow!!
former entrepreneur
2016-03-27, 1:19 PM #10
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
What was in the dump? I don't think I was checking the forums when the resources were available.

Assorted project files, reference material and whatnot.

I actually lost many hours of working on that dome map today since it's buggy as hell for some reason, much like the SG-1 mod material. These projects by Xzero and Ruthven prove JK's true limits - TODOA doesn't really come even close. Hoof!

But anyway, I sorted out the temple map by Xzero with some Ruthven resources - and right before uploading the first version, I tested it out again and discovered that the game crashes when the player dies. I don't know why, but I think I've messed enough with this stuff. ;)

Here's my upload anyhow: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=808§ion=downloads
2016-03-27, 5:09 PM #11
Here be a third one

https://vimeo.com/160516289

That looks like a Glock 18... which never made an appearance in any Stargate TV shows. An odd choice for Ruthy to implement. :confused:

It looks great, though.
2016-03-28, 3:18 AM #12
Originally posted by gbk:
That looks like a Glock 18... which never made an appearance in any Stargate TV shows. An odd choice for Ruthy to implement. :confused:

It looks great, though.

Previous builds had a Beretta as the pistol.

Here's more footage (likely the last), including the gun ammo count animations you asked about earlier:

https://vimeo.com/160588406
https://vimeo.com/160589667

2016-03-28, 5:46 AM #13
Dat waterfall. :o
2016-03-28, 10:07 PM #14
Awesome!

Wasn't there some sort of glider?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2016-03-29, 12:58 AM #15
Yup. That one's actually already included in the 2-minute teaser cutscene from 2008.

I'd say the stuff in those videos consist of the most finished and coherent parts of the project (even though they're glitchy, but that's JK's engine falling apart), but there's tons of 3DOs and other levels (mostly just repetitions of the SG-1 base) in the archive and I haven't actually gone through most of them.

In fact, I almost missed the harbor + waterfall level because it's only <10kb in filesize so it pretty much consists of just 3DOs. ;P
2016-03-29, 1:36 AM #16

Here's some random stuff that weren't either put in the test builds or weren't "finished" enough for a nice gameplay video.

For example, a seeker gun - didn't see it implemented in any of the builds, there's a COG for it tho'

This is a rather elaborate, yet unfinished, outdoor level. In ZED....

... and in-game.

But yeah, there's plenty of nice 3DO material in there that could be used in a new JK project or even possibly converted to another game and utilized further (even if 3DO conversions tend to fall apart quite often).

With the later gun models (as seen in gameplay videos #4 and #5, for example) it'd also be possible to make a first person only SP mod (like TODOA TC SP) provided that you bypass the Seifer cog "arms floating in the air" issue somehow. Not to mention taking care of so many other glitches. :P

↑ Up to the top!