Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oh, hi! Tell us about your life.
Oh, hi! Tell us about your life.
2016-04-18, 10:11 PM #1
It's me! Hooray! It's been quite a while (it's been 2 years, 4 months since my last post). What has everyone been up to?

I did meth for 6 years. I went through 4 jobs, being fired each time for attendance. Then I was homeless and started shooting up and lived under a bridge for year (I was the troll of 19th Avenue). But then I got arrested a year ago, and now I've been clean for 11 months!

Now I'm an assistant manager for one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to work for. And I even have my own apartment! Well, I have my own room in an apartment. That's still pretty good though?

Also I had sex with a bunch of random dudes.

So, what about you guys? Tell me about your lives!

PS: I'm currently drinking "Guinness: West Indies Porter." Are you drinking, and if so, what?
2016-04-19, 12:34 AM #2
Dammit, Vin!

Well, you may have been away from Massassi for years, but I've been here EVERY SINGLE DAY*. And probably sitting on the same chair in the same position by the same table as the last time you were here. >_>

I haven't had sex with anyone for obvious reasons. Oy!

Well, it's good to see you back.

* = Not really, but it's more fun to say it like this. Not to mention the time I haven't been here is very negligible.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-04-19, 12:51 AM #3
It's NOT good to see me back? :(
2016-04-19, 1:55 AM #4
Dangit, Vin. The spoiler tagged part refers to the * from earlier!

It's good that you've got your life in order, Vin. Which should serve as an example to GBK, who really needs to stop hanging around dog shelters.
2016-04-19, 2:57 AM #5
Well, Vin: Great work on the 11 months. Never thought I'd see the day, and I've gotta say I'm proud of you, man.

In two months I'll be at 3 years sober, myself. Keep kicking ass, Vin. Glad to see you, man.
>>untie shoes
2016-04-19, 7:56 AM #6
Originally posted by Antony:
Keep kicking ass, Vin. Glad to see you, man.

Seconded.

Originally posted by Vin:
So, what about you guys? Tell me about your lives!

Exactly one month ago I finally moved out of my parent's basement.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-04-19, 8:11 AM #7
And into a dog shelter?

And, yes, I remember how asterisks work now*.

I was drunk last night
2016-04-19, 8:34 AM #8
So in the next few months, I'll be looking into finally becoming a home owner. The home is actually where I live now, so I'll be saving a lot of hassle, and it's still an exciting development.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2016-04-19, 9:17 AM #9
And into a dog shelter?

You know it.

[https://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-sHKHDBL/0/2100x20000/i-sHKHDBL-2100x20000.jpg]

But seriously, I bought a house.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-04-19, 1:03 PM #10
Oh god Vin is still alive. I honestly thought you went the way of gbk's libido
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-04-19, 1:05 PM #11

Now I'm an assistant manager for one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to work for.

But these aren't related, right? :v:

In all seriousness though, how did you manage to get off the black hole that is meth?
2016-04-19, 3:25 PM #12
I am getting my bachelor's much later than I should be, but I am also working for Playstation making bideo games, so that's nice.

2016-04-19, 7:29 PM #13
From what I hear, there was nothing random about them at all.
2016-04-19, 7:30 PM #14
And congrats, Vin. Glad to hear you're on a good path.
2016-04-25, 11:40 PM #15
I've become an alcoholic. Suicide keeps getting more and more interesting. I hate life.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2016-04-26, 1:29 AM #16
What's so interesting about suicide? It seems to me that existence would be far more interesting to an exister than non-existence. Granted, nothingness, in the Krauss-ian sense is interesting from a philosophical &/or physical perspective, but that's another thing entirely.
? :)
2016-04-26, 6:27 AM #17
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I've become an alcoholic. Suicide keeps getting more and more interesting. I hate life.

I hope you can find some help, Gold. Please do. I want you to live.
2016-04-26, 7:46 AM #18
Haha, you're old enough to drink now?

My, how time flies.

But seriously, you should maybe get some help with that.
2016-04-26, 8:20 AM #19
in the time since your last post... i've...

well nothing major has changed

had sex with a chick i met at a party who during the rather awkward encounter admitted her complete lack of prior experience and then a few months later found out she was selling her services on craigslist... thereby changing the name of my dick to "the wand of corruption"

i got my first new pc since 2004 (in 2015) also the first one i built myself

got my first DSLR

got my first mechanical keyboard (also first new keyboard for 13 years)

made the step into modern times and got rid of the CRT monitor
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2016-04-26, 9:11 AM #20
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
made the step into modern times and got rid of the CRT monitor

It's like I don't know you anymore.

... or maybe I never HAVE have have have
2016-04-26, 4:53 PM #21
Haha, you're old enough to drink now?

So am I
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-04-26, 7:54 PM #22
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

Given my uniquely similar history to what you describe, I highly recommend that if you ever attempt suicide prior to attempting recovery, do so in a way that has a high failure rate. You'll thank yourself later.

That being said, pushing the fast forward button gets old eventually. Cut the bull****, toss the bottle, and live your life.
>>untie shoes
2016-04-26, 8:43 PM #23
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
So am I

time for me to start shopping for a walker
2016-04-27, 3:19 PM #24
Originally posted by Antony:
That being said, pushing the fast forward button gets old eventually. Cut the bull****, toss the bottle, and live your life.

Epic post. I wonder if SF's post was genuine but this response with your manner of post mesh brilliantly. SF, if your post was legitimate, listening to this man's words is imperative. Get help.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-04-27, 5:06 PM #25
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I wonder if SF's post was genuine

I don't think it matters. Doing the right thing whether the person deserves it or not is the only way to do the right thing.
>>untie shoes
2016-04-27, 5:34 PM #26
True that. Surprise, we agree!
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-05-26, 11:13 AM #27
I haven't posted here in forever, and to be honest I completely forgot about this forum until an old friend contacted me on Steam to play MOTS literally 2 nights ago for a nice nostalgia trip. It immediately brought back old memories so I looked up Massassi to see if it was even still running...Surprise surprise.

I went into my old posts, and now I get why a lot of people didn't like me. I had the very rare post that made sense, and looking back I would have slapped myself for some of the uninformed and downright stupid things I said. I cringed at a lot of things to be perfectly honest, and I actually had to stop reading. That's just a rabbit hole I want to be filled.

Not that anyone cares either, but life back then wasn't the greatest. So I can kind of see where a lot of that angst came from, and why I was so....Well, stupid. Just a dumb, uninformed, aggressive and opinionated teenager. I don't even want to read posts from BEFORE I came to Massassi under different user names from other forums.

Again not that anyone cares really but life is great right now...I put myself through college, I drink a lot of wine, still smoke weed, but own my own apartment with a girlfriend of 16 years. She's an RMT and I work in film/tv now so we do decent for a living. That's about it, I don't do anything exciting, and I'm not as rich as I thought I would be 15 years ago.

I am sorry I was such a douchebag before though. Unfortunately the same can be said for a lot of us back in those days (remember even bringing up the topic of Weed was taboo and spurred a ton of arguments), but I've grown from that experience and I like to think I've become a more educated person. I'm still quick to anger though.
2016-06-02, 9:23 PM #28
I haven't changed at all but... but I fell in love with a woman, who loved me back, and as a result in about two months... I'll be a first time father.

So I think my life is about to be flipped upside down.

Vin, glad to hear things are going well for you. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2016-06-02, 10:10 PM #29
I hope that's not going to affect your Steam playtime hours, Triscuit! TELL ME IT AIN'T SOoo

:_(

(Congrats, man!)

Whoa, didn't notice Temperamental there. Sneak-tastic! Hey, man
2016-06-03, 3:47 PM #30
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I haven't changed at all but... but I fell in love with a woman, who loved me back, and as a result in about two months... I'll be a first time father.

So I think my life is about to be flipped upside down.

Vin, glad to hear things are going well for you. :)

Wow, that was fast! Have fun with that. Kids are awesome and also a headache and they suck from 2-5. (My roommate has a 1-year-old and a 4-year-old half the week. Bleh.)

Also, when I became homeless I sold the computer you gave me for 3.5g of meth and $50. Don't hate. How can I make it up to you?

PS: I actually love Step 8 and 9. "Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all." / "Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."
2016-06-03, 8:23 PM #31
It's been quite a while since I've been active here, but I check in every few months or so. I graduated with my B.S. in Electrical/Computer Engineering in 2011. I got married, moved to St. Louis and worked at Boeing for a couple years. Then my wife got a new job in Indianapolis, so I've been working on my Master's degree at the Purdue's Indianapolis campus (IUPUI). I've finished my coursework and I'm currently trying to appreciate the futility of figuring out my thesis.

I have also taken up flying a powered paraglider which is really fun.

I've learned that if you are an adult in the Midwest, making friends is really hard.

Looking back, being an jackass on Massassi really made me a much more articulate person, and I think it gave me a much greater ability question and assess my own beliefs. I encounter a lot of people who never really interacted with opposing viewpoints, and never had the privilege of being mocked for poorly expressing a weak idea or argument. There are a lot of highly knowledgeable people out there who have no appreciation for where their expertise ends because they never had that experience. I am still a Christian, but I acknowledge that I can't honestly discount the fields of biology, geology and astronomy. I believe that the Bible resolves with observed reality in a satisfactory way, but I'm not an expert in any of these fields, so I'm ready to accept that I probably don't live in a time where I have access to a clear satisfying answer. I don't argue about many of the things I used to, because I understand that I don't have enough expertise to hold a reasonably well developed position. I've also become a bit more chill.

Man, I remember I used to get super buthurt at DJ Yoshi.
2016-06-03, 8:32 PM #32
Been busying with a new job in NYC lately, so I haven't tuned in all this month.

Don't worry guys, ECHOMAN is back like herpes and deep-seated shame; Antony should know.
2016-06-06, 5:28 AM #33
Several -ians have me on Facebook, but for those that don't

I am no longer married. Left the Midwest last August after undergrad, going to grad school in Boston currently (~four years left, are any Boston Massassians?). I don't game very much anymore, aside from classic Doom when I get the chance. I'm probably a bit less annoying than I was ten to twleve years ago, and I'm really sorry for anyone I harassed/annoyed the **** out of back then.

There's all sorts of boring details about my life I could go into, but they're all pretty much irrelevant to who I was when I was 11-15.

I attribute some of my interests to Massassi, especially computer science (despite not majoring in that) and early music tastes (Seb). A few -ians had a lasting impact on me, but most of them are either not around anymore or I've had that talk with them before.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-06-06, 10:46 PM #34
Made bags of money. Got married. Now doing other stuff.

Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
MIT

Welcome to the club.
2016-06-09, 6:22 AM #35
Lets see...Married for 10 years in August. I have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and soon to be 1 year old (All Boys). Still in Tuscaloosa, AL (Roll mother$&%*ing Tide)

I teach social studies in a struggling middle school in one of the 25 poorest counties in America. I spend my days being fulfilled by making a difference while also being cussed at by 12 year old children who have the type of street experience that precludes them from having an ounce of respect for anyone but themselves. Its an interesting challenge.

I pop into mIRC and get on the chat from time to time when I have nostalgic moments. Still game a decent amount and find myself addicted to Overwatch now that the summer has arrived.

Currently buying my first home (have waited to be secure in a teaching job which is hard today). Still offer omgwtfmassassibbq to anyone that wants to hah. I have a a few massassians friended on facebook but not a lot of contact. I see sine_nomen a good bit on there. Anyway. Thats my update. Nothing fancy.
Think Them Skimpy thoughts!!!
2016-06-12, 7:22 AM #36
Also, when I became homeless I sold the computer you gave me for 3.5g of meth and $50. Don't hate. How can I make it up to you?

It was yours to do with as you pleased. Glad things are better now.

To the rest of Massassi: If anyone else sold a PC I sent them for Meth, I don't want to know about it. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2016-06-12, 7:57 AM #37
mine is sitting in a corner in my kitchen... eventually i'll turn it into an audio workstation but i want to swap the WD green for something less slow
2016-06-12, 8:32 AM #38
Mine is running an Ark dedicated server. That's roughly on par with crystal meth on the addiction spectrum.
>>untie shoes
2016-06-12, 11:16 AM #39
I eventually scrapped mine for parts to build another frankenstein that is now sitting, torn apart, in the closet.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2016-06-12, 12:05 PM #40
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I hope that's not going to affect your Steam playtime hours, Triscuit! TELL ME IT AIN'T SOoo

I still find time to sneak in a little TF2.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER

↑ Up to the top!